Scouting Advice Wyoming first timer.

James Whitmore

This will be my first time in Wyoming hunting antelope. I drew Area 25 just out of Casper. My only other antelope hunt, in Utah, took zero scouting. I will be headed up this next weekend wo see what is out there. Any advice for looking now to predict herd location at the beginning of the hunt? Any advice on the unit? Any advice on scouting techniques for antelope specifically. I have both a buck and doe tag. Thanks in advance!

It will be a complete mess this weekend. Not worth the time scouting due to all the people there for the eclipse viewing. Many of them will be driving around in the middle of your hunting type areas...

Antelope are territorial. No need to go scout early. Where you find them this weekend might not be where they are after opening day warzone. Get up there a day early and find a herd or two in the area and go from there. If you bump them, give them some time and they should still be in the vacinity and come back.

Id find a small isolated piece of land with a goat on it and stake it out on opening morning. The unit receives a lot of pressure on the limited amount of public land the way it is,Only 8,000 other people seen that video.

Good luck

It will be interesting to see if the draw odds for the unit mentioned in the video change next year BECAUSE it was mentioned in the video.

ClearCreek

Oh great! The county portion of that road ends about 2 miles South West of what is shown by OnX in that video. This should be fun.

Last edited:
Oh great! The county portion of that road ends about 2 miles South West of what is shown by OnX in that video. This should be fun.

So, I'm trying to understand Wyoming laws here. I purchased the on x maps and am looking at the unit. In Wyoming, are you allowed to use any access road that passes through private land? I see there are hundreds of little roads that pass through checkerboard, can we use these or are we just walkin in?

County roads are public even when they pass through private , but make sure your are on the County Roads not a ranch road. Not all of the roads on the GIS map are county roads for their entire length.
You need to email or call Mike Haigler at Natrona County Road and Bridge [email protected] 307-235-9311.
I inquired last week about the roads on the GIS map and he responded right away. Not all roads on the map are public.

A CR may at some point have a cattle guard across it and have posted signs, this usually marks a pasture change or landowner change beside the road, not the road itself. Some CR end at ranches and some continue right through them.

Call or email the guy I mentioned about specific roads, he advised me to do so to be legal.

County roads are public even when they pass through private , but make sure your are on the County Roads not a ranch road. Not all of the roads on the GIS map are county roads for their entire length.
You need to email or call Mike Haigler at Natrona County Road and Bridge [email protected] 307-235-9311.
I inquired last week about the roads on the GIS map and he responded right away. Not all roads on the map are public.

A CR may at some point have a cattle guard across it and have posted signs, this usually marks a pasture change or landowner change beside the road, not the road itself. Some CR end at ranches and some continue right through them.

Call or email the guy I mentioned about specific roads, he advised me to do so to be legal.

Thanks for the response this is super helpful. I will do this for sure.

PEAX Trekking Poles

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
samcarp
Back