Can a non-shooter walk along

VikingsGuy

In WY, can a person without a gun and without a license walk along with an armed and licensed hunter during a hunt? Common sense tells me yes, but I thought I read somewhere that all folks in the party must be licensed.

Only those hunting need a license and only those hunting need wear orange during a firearm season.

Technically, Walk-In Hunting Areas are only open for hunting, no pleasure horseback riding for instance; however there are no rules that make it illegal for a non-hunting companion to accompany a hunter in a Walk-In Hunting Area. There are "Ranch Rules" that are specific to each Walk-In Area and those can be found on the Wy. G&F website.

ClearCreek

Still a good idea to wear it just to be safe. Some folks aren't so much as we all know!

that is why I wear both a hat and a vest. I got too much to lose to get shot/killed by some idiot not identifying his target.

Wyoming is a very safe state to hunt. Your companion would be safe without any orange on.
I can't even remember when we've had a hunting related accidental shooting.
Camo orange is also legal.

As ClearCreek said check the ranch rules for any walk in or HMA first.

The only thing you may want to check is if you are hunting a walk in area. In colorado the wia properties are only open to hunters.

That is not how I read the regs. It says the property is for hunting only, not for hunters only. I would have no issue bringing one of my kids in tow if I'm the only one hunting.

Take a look at the 2016 cover photo for the Late Cropland Walk In Access....

That is not how I read the regs. It says the property is for hunting only, not for hunters only. I would have no issue bringing one of my kids in tow if I'm the only one hunting.

Take a look at the 2016 cover photo for the Late Cropland Walk In Access....

Good point. I hadn't thought about it in terms of kids coming along. My dad asked me once if I wanted company pheasant hunting in eastern CO and after reading the regs I figured since he is not a hunter he couldn't come along. Guess anyone accompanying the hunter is technically part of the hunting party (even if they are just acting the role of bird dog).

In Kansas a hunting license is required if the person is trying to herd or drive animals in assisting in the hunt. I presume this means blockers in a pheasant hunt would required to be licensed as well as deer drivers.

Good point. I hadn't thought about it in terms of kids coming along. My dad asked me once if I wanted company pheasant hunting in eastern CO and after reading the regs I figured since he is not a hunter he couldn't come along. Guess anyone accompanying the hunter is technically part of the hunting party (even if they are just acting the role of bird dog).

I've had multiple hunts on WIA properties with non-hunters in tow. Never had a warden blink. I don't see how age would make a difference.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tinhunter
Back