Caribou Gear

Wyoming Antelope Unit 17????

Loner_0916

Drawn Wyoming antelope tag for unit 17. Any advice or tips as I know this is an area with tough public access? Going to use Onx maps. Got BLM maps. Anyone with specific experience in this unit?

The link below shows public maintained roads that are legal to drive on. You'll need to match up where you are on them with your GPS landowner chip to make sure you don't stray onto the majority of private land that is in the unit. When you hit a spot that touches or goes through BLM or state land you'll just have to park and walk/glass hoping you find some goats that are on legal land. There also aren't any WIHAs or HMAs in 17 that allow goat hunting that I'm aware of, so that option is out.

https://www.ccgov.net/DocumentCenter/Home/View/2017

Last edited:
Hunted there 6 years ago. Lots of antelope there, can be a little frustrating finding them on public. Took a lot of miles in the truck and some hiking but we tagged out on 3 good bucks.

That is encouraging to hear. I am doing a lot of research but am a little concerned. Do you have any recommendations at so what part of that unit may be more beneficial to focus our attention? I noticed decent access up 59 on the east side and also a huge chunk of land in the southwest.

That is encouraging to hear. I am doing a lot of research but am a little concerned. Do you have any recommendations at so what part of that unit may be more beneficial to focus our attention? I noticed decent access up 59 on the east side and also a huge chunk of land in the southwest.

Highway 59 is the eastern boundary of Antelope Hunt Area 17 from the MT border down to Highway 14/16 so you would not be able to legally hunt east of highway 59 if you had an Area 17 license.

ClearCreek

Right. But I can hunt on the west side of 59 and there is several areas of public access directly on that road. I worded that incorrectly. I should have said, "I noticed decent access on the west side of the road, 59, on the east side of unit 17, and also a huge chunk of land in the southwest corner of unit 17."

Right. But I can hunt on the west side of 59 and there is several areas of public access directly on that road. I worded that incorrectly. I should have said, "I noticed decent access on the west side of the road, 59, on the east side of unit 17, and also a huge chunk of land in the southwest corner of unit 17."

That "huge chunk of land" in the southwest corner of unit 17 does not have an legal access, so be careful. There are just two or three little legal spots along the Lower Powder River Road that is the west boundary of unit 17 that touch BLM or state land. The only decent size chunk of public land that is legally accessible in unit 17 is where you mentioned along the west side of Highway 59.

Okay. Thanks. I am checking out the map that you shared now and it is very helpful. I can see the public access roads now. Thanks for the advice.

I have hunted 17 for several years. I live in Campbell couny. There is not a lot of accessible public land. But you should be able to find some goats. There is the thunder basin national grasslands on the west side of WY 59. If you get on Game and Fish website look at public access, walk in areas for Campbell County, there is a huge walk in area for area 17 antelope. Walk in area 10, it is off Elk creek Rd west of WY 59. Also if you get on WY state land and investment website

If you get on Wyoming State land and Investment website there is an interactive map which will show you what state sections have legal access. There are some restrictions on certain sections of state lands, such as if there is cultivated cropland on the state land you can not hunt it even if there is legal access.

I have hunted 17 for several years. I live in Campbell couny. There is not a lot of accessible public land. But you should be able to find some goats. There is the thunder basin national grasslands on the west side of WY 59. If you get on Game and Fish website look at public access, walk in areas for Campbell County, there is a huge walk in area for area 17 antelope. Walk in area 10, it is off Elk creek Rd west of WY 59. Also if you get on WY state land and investment website

That WIHA #10 is only 134 acres, but does touch a big chunk of BLM to the west and north if is that is what you mean.

How did your unit 17 hunt go last year? I have a 17 tag for Oct 18. I hope you found a good buck. -Any advice for this year? I am heading out mid month for a few days. Thanks

Sitka Gear Turkey Tool Belt

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Stravic
Back