Nevada Mule Deer

sheff

I have a few points in Nevada. I am thinking about applying next year for mule deer and would like to start doing some scouting on google earth. Can someone tell me which part of the state has a high population of mule deer? For once I would like to hunt an area where I can see a lot of deer. I'm not set on killing a monster, I just want to kill a nice 4 x 4. If someone can just give me a general area, I can narrow down the units that I can draw with my point total.

Thanks in advance,
Sheff

Check the hunts in the book. The number of tags issued will tell you where the deer are! :) Few tags few deer.

BW

How many points do you have. Remember points are not a guarantee in Nevada.

If you want to see deer and have a shot at a decent buck, and actually have a tag in your pocket, then hunt with a bow or muzzle loader. Don't pick the hunting fool top choices or Eastman's. The central part of the state has plenty of deer, good access, and it's not terribly difficult to draw.

Was out messing around yesterday with my kids and saw 30-40 deer in one little canyon. Helping a friend tonight in an area that had leftover archery tags and he has seen several decent plus deer this season.

Apply and go hunt. Building points with the intent to cash them out is almost useless in NV. There is just no guarantee. And apply for everything.

If you want to see more big deer pick the units with the lowest tag totals.

The OP said he just wants a decent 4x4. So why would he want to wait years and years trying to draw a tag in a unit with very few tags?
As a non-res the odds of you drawing a tag in one of the units that has very few tags are very slim but there is always a chance.
Even the areas with the most tags have some truly big bucks. Don't let anyone tell you otherwise. You can shoot a decent 4x4 in any unit so as a non-res you should apply in a unit that gives you the best odds of drawing.

The largest deer herd in Nevada resides in Area 10, Units 101-109. Access can be a problem in some areas somewhat landlocked by private. There are some trophy quality deer in there but to get to them you need to pack in away's. Plenty of small to average just about anywhere. Though I must say there are lots of deer in Nevada, but there is more country than deer. finding where they're hanging out can sometimes be a problem.

My experience with the 2 tags that I've had there have been completely different from eachother. I had a muzzy unit 10 tag (burned 7 points) and saw VERY FEW DEER (ate the tag). Several years later my son and I drew unit 192 with 1 point between us and we saw plenty of deer (killed my largest buck to date). I think the above post is very accurate. Find where the deer like to be and hunt there. Don't just plan on hunting one area and expect to see deer.

Thanks for the responses. I have 3 points and do plan on applying next year and every year. I realize Nevada points are squared and not guaranteed. I have looked at the units and the required points for each. My fear was basing my decision solely on number of tags and then getting there and the unit be a low population area. Unit 16 in NM is a good example. Lots of tags and few deer there.

Swing for the fences your first two or three choices, then put areas 7, 10, 16, 17, etc as your last couple.

I have been crunching the stats, well my girlfriend is as she in that field, and I can say some of the best units in Nevada that I have found for success, trophy potential, and ease of tag acquirement are not where you would expect. I am building some points in Nevada starting this next year, but I only want to build three or four before I look to burn them. Nevada has a great resource that allows you to see who drew where, success rates, and trophy potentials. Plus their non res tags are not outrageously expensive. Plus the state is 85 percent public land! B.T.W if you are good at creeping around the internet you can correlate hunts you see on T.V. and Youtube to units they were in. Now I am sure I will get yelled at for sharing that tool.

I have points in Colorado also but I have that state narrowed down to a couple units already. I did see the You Tube video referenced. That's what gave me the idea. It looked like a ton of fun to hunt an area with that many deer.

Thanks for the responses. I will start looking into the units mentioned above!

Sheff

My experience with the 2 tags that I've had there have been completely different from eachother. I had a muzzy unit 10 tag (burned 7 points) and saw VERY FEW DEER (ate the tag). Several years later my son and I drew unit 192 with 1 point between us and we saw plenty of deer (killed my largest buck to date). I think the above post is very accurate. Find where the deer like to be and hunt there. Don't just plan on hunting one area and expect to see deer.

Where is unit 10?

101-109 is unit 10. It is near the northern part of the state...just south of Wells.

We drew last year on our second year and had one of the best mule deer hunts I have been on. Saw 40-50 bucks and not 1 single hunter that got out of their truck or side by side. It was a high tag area too there was deer everywhere. Nv is a great state and just about every unit in the state can provide what you are looking for. I am not waiting 10+ years for tags I apply in 3-1 and 4-1 odd units with limited access and work for them.

We drew last year on our second year and had one of the best mule deer hunts I have been on. Saw 40-50 bucks and not 1 single hunter that got out of their truck or side by side. It was a high tag area too there was deer everywhere. Nv is a great state and just about every unit in the state can provide what you are looking for. I am not waiting 10+ years for tags I apply in 3-1 and 4-1 odd units with limited access and work for them.

Thanks HUNTNNW!

I drew 101-109 muzzleloader... anyone with personal info would be appreciated... I am looking to see if there is a horse rental I can use...

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mfrosty6
Back