Feelings toward "let's go kill $h!-"

Our group often wakes up in the cabin and has a cup of coffee and eventually as we part ways to get the days hunting started we often say "let's go kill something" or something to that effect. Taken at face value, that's exactly what your plan is that given day. SJW's and anti's are going to get ahold of that by means of social media or something and the context will be removed and that's when it creates turbulence.

"Let's go kill something" is very different from "let's go kill shit." You're literally calling the animals you're going to attempt to take "shit." Big difference IMO.

"Let's go kill something" is very different from "let's go kill shit." You're literally calling the animals you're going to attempt to take "shit." Big difference IMO.

To be honest, I don't really see the difference. Some people just like to cuss a little more. I don't think they are literally calling the animals "shit".

Season openers can't get here soon enough. I'm gonna go kill.... stuff. Guess I'm not sensitive enough that it bothers me. mtmuley

For me it depends on the context and the preceding and following sentences.

I know plenty of "let's go kill shat" guys that would wade thru 300 yards of waist high mud in 6 ft tulies to retrieve a crippled spoonbill and be upset if they couldn't find it. At the same time I am aware of plenty of holier than thou internet persona reputation carrying folks that would never admit to saying "let's go kill some shat", but would stomp the same spoonbill in the mud to shoot a greenhead.
Duck hunter perspective

My Platoon would start every patrol in Iraq saying let's go *uck $hit up....it was our job :cool:

Thanks for handling that. Tough job.

I don't hunt "shit". Some people just don't have much command of the language.

My great grandfather always said, "Let's go kill hell out of big bucks". I guess I liked that saying.

To be honest, I don't really see the difference. Some people just like to cuss a little more. I don't think they are literally calling the animals "shit".

I cuss a bunch. Cussing itself does not bother me. But I'm not sure you understand the meaning of the word "literally."

I know plenty of "let's go kill shat" guys that would wade thru 300 yards of waist high mud in 6 ft tulies to retrieve a crippled spoonbill and be upset if they couldn't find it. At the same time I am aware of plenty of holier than thou internet persona reputation carrying folks that would never admit to saying "let's go kill some shat", but would stomp the same spoonbill in the mud to shoot a greenhead.
Duck hunter perspective

Excellent point. I see the same thing.

I think you will know if your hunting partners, friends or family, are the right people to go with. Same with going out for a beer. You know who you want to have a beer with, you don't have to dwell on it too much. It will only take one hunting trip to know if you will want to go with them again. You will probably know before you even plan the trip if you want to go with them. I have friends I would never hunt or fish with because their idea of hunting is drinking the whole time and hunting very little.

one thing to consider, perhaps in this scenario but certainly in others, is that when you are speaking with lesser hunters, and by that I mean that you are the most knowledgeable or experienced person in the conversation, the other people may be trying to "speak your language" because they are not aware that language they are using is "poor etiquette." for instance, when I first started dating my girlfriend, there was a little bit of hunting education required because she was indifferent to hunting but thought that most hunters were what we call "bubbas"... "Let's go drive a truck, drink beer and kill $hit!"

I do drive a truck, I do drink beer, and yes indeed I do occasionally kill animals when I hunt, but the point is public perception can be wildly different from personal reality. The "kill $hit" mentality the friend or acquaintance portrayed may just be an attempt to sound like they fit in and know what they are talking about using what they know to be the language of a hunter. I try and take those opportunities to do a little bit of educating. Best case, you've got a new hunting buddy with a properly forming mindset about fair chase, woodsmanship, and support of public lands. Worst case that person is STILL just an a$$hole in a bar.

Last edited:
Probably pointless to weigh in at this point, but I'll do it anyway. You know your friends. If they're careless dicks, you'd know, so don't hunt with them. If they're good guys, you'd know, so let the macho bravado ride.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
bgeary
Back