Vanish and FireTiger's 2017 Hunt Journal - Season 7

Well this weekend ended up being much more fun than I anticipated. We didn't bring home any ducks, but we got to watch them taunting us for four hours. A couple ponds over they were having WWIII. I had a great time just bs'ing in the blind with friends and watching ducks through my binos. I'd certainly go again, but not over a big game hunt.

From there it was a couple hours to the Kansas border for FireTiger's whitetail doe hunt. She's been trying a new one of these list "C" tags each year just to explore more of Colorado. We arrived at the public area right around 2:30pm and took stock of things. With the temperature pushing 80 degrees, I didn't have high expectations. The wind was pushing right down the valley, so we'd need to loop around, then work our way back up the bottom with the wind in our face.

I think we were out there about 10 minutes when I spotted the first deer working the opposite direction about 500 yards from us. It was a whitetail doe, and the game was on. We used a gully to hide our approach and got in position to intercept. 15 minutes passed and we started to wonder, based on her speed and the estimated distance, we should have seen her. FireTiger decided to drop all the way into the bottom.

With nearby turkeys making a ridiculous ruckus, we had made it about 100 yards when I caught a deer moving up the bottom 300 yards from us. We got in position and again lost the deer in the brush. Moving again, we finally were in the right spot but two new does busted us as the wind shifted. Damn! FireTiger decided we should go with the original plan and work up the bottom, even though we weren't nearly as far as we wanted to be.

We made it perhaps 200 yards when I spotted a doe staring at us. FireTiger could not find it. Its right in front of the pine. Still can't find it. I'm expecting the deer to blow any moment, but it just stared straight at us. Finally, FireTiger got the bipod set up, but couldn't get a shot over the tall grass. She readjusted while the deer watched. I was flabbergasted. FireTiger dropped the doe with one shot to the neck. Compared to the other "C" tags she'd had, this one was ridiculously easy.

uc

It was an easy drag to the car from there. I now had the rest of afternoon to scout for my archery tag. We hadn't seen any bucks but I know with the does there, the bucks will be there come the rut, which should be heating up right about when I arrive next weekend. I'll have Saturday-Tuesday, and then should have Thanksgiving weekend to be out there.

Sunday, I took Hank off the leash for some small game. Unfortunately, quail isn't open yet. We flushed three coveys. The cottontails kept him busy and I brought two home for dinner tonight.

uc

After Hank pleaded uncle on chasing rabbits, I set out to find a spot to hang a stand. I'm not certain how I want to approach this hunt. We saw three mule deer bucks nearby on the drive out Saturday night, and all the whitetail does in the bottom, so I think the chance for either is pretty good. I don't expect the mulies in the same terrain as the whitetails. I was unable to find a great chokepoint for hanging a stand, but we did find a scrape line. The best chokepoint was also choked with brush - I saw no way to hunt it. It was difficult to tell the difference between cattle and deer trails, but we think we found a spot with several deer trails intersecting. The best tree to set up in for that was too big around to hang my stand, so I had to settle for a less than optimal spot. Debating buying more chain before the weekend.

I wish I could scout the actual deer movement, but its just not feasible this time. I have more confidence in guessing whitetail movements, so I will probably start with them in mind.

uc

I really like cottontails but they're a lot of work to prep - at least the way I like to cook them.

Figured I might as well catch up on what happened in Nevada.

uc

I am ridiculously excited about this upcoming hunt. I don't know how I am going to make it through 3 more days of work, but I think they might be on to me if I were to "come down sick" on Thursday. :D

Mule Deer or Whitetail?

I'm really torn on how to approach this hunt. I have much more confidence in a plan for whitetails, but I'd love to do some spot and stalk. Its just much more exciting hunting. The problem is access. I'm just not sure I have enough space to work with to hunt the mulies. Also, the rut should be kicking in, so I don't have a clue if normal spot and stalk even applies. This is all new to me. I'm worried I'll just waste my time getting up high to glass rather than being where I expect deer to be cruising through.

If you've got any tips or suggestions for the CO Eastern Plains, please comment.

Eastern plains is a tough nut to crack if you don't have access ahead of time.

Some real nice WT just east of me, but no way to get on those parcels without paying an outfitter.

Eastern plains is a tough nut to crack if you don't have access ahead of time.

Some real nice WT just east of me, but no way to get on those parcels without paying an outfitter.

Oh, I'm not worried about finding deer to hunt - I know the whitetails are there. I'm just debating whether its worth spending any time looking for a mule deer, or if I should just wait in creek bottom for big whitey.

I would go mule deer but that's because I get to hunt whitetails all the time variety is the spice of life. Good luck it's a great time of year to be chasing deer.

Oh, I'm not worried about finding deer to hunt - I know the whitetails are there. I'm just debating whether its worth spending any time looking for a mule deer, or if I should just wait in creek bottom for big whitey.

Creek bottom, big whitey....

Rav4 is just about packed. Need to pick up a bit of additional food and I think I'm going to grab some doe scent on the way. Debating picking up some extra length of chain that would allow me to move my stand if needed. Tomorrow, I have about a 3 hour drive to "camp". Unfortunately, its about 45 minutes to my hunting area from where I'll be camped. Another downside to the east side. Going to be early mornings!

I will have signal at camp, but I doubt I'll be able to do truly live updates as I don't think I get signal in the creek bottom.

Weather is looking a bit nicer than I would prefer. 30s for low and 60+ for highs. The winds are looking low, but NOT good for my stand.

Made it to camp. Weather forecast keeps getting warmer but it's still reasonable. Nobody else here at camp.

Mother nature makes the call for me. Thick fog and a light snow would make for some tough glassing.

I figured I should finish the video of FireTiger's cow elk hunt before I put together one from this deer hunt. My "big camera" died after 3 photos so I took mostly video on my phone instead, and it'll just be easier that way.

[video=youtube;kpa83jm0DsQ]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kpa83jm0DsQ[/video]

Yup. That'll work. Congrats.

Somehow I missed this thread until over the weekend. Great thread.

Thanks for reading! I really appreciate knowing others are enjoying.

One last big game hunt coming up. FireTiger has a ES Elk tag for 4th season. This is a unit we've spent a lot of time in, but only during early seasons. We don't really have any idea what to expect. They got a lot of snow a couple weeks ago, but its been melting ever since.

Use Promo Code Randy for 20% off OutdoorClass

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mfrosty6
Back