Sitka Gear Turkey Tool Belt

Vanish and FireTiger's 2017 Hunt Journal - Season 7

uc

I finally got comfortable with the state of things at work and was able to leave home a little after 2pm. The drive was easy, but as I approached my destination, the mountains were completely shrouded in clouds. The rain started as soon as I hit National Forest. Upon arriving at my camping location, I got suited up and the rain gear on, but hesitated. I thought to myself, "This is dumb, nothing is going to be moving in this steady rain." Then I'd talk myself up again .., "You came out here to hunt, go do it!"

Finally, I convinced myself to pack light and climb the nearby ridge - at least scout the route up for the morning. I had never truly hunted this location before, though I had drawn the route on my map 3 years ago. There's no trail here, its straight into the beetle killed timber deadfall uphill to a ridge gaining 700 or so feet, then you can follow the ridge to the mountain, then another 1000 ft to the top. Grabbing just the "essentials", I finally headed up the hill with the plan to scout to the mountain, but no farther.

It took me longer than anticipated to gain the ridge, and my lower half was already soaked (I intentionally wear quick dry rather than waterproof pants, but my boots are shot as far as waterproofness goes). I couldn't help thinking "Yep, I'm an idiot. Look at me getting all my gear wet the night before the big hunt." I looked around for a few minutes, then let out a couple of cow calls for the heck of it.

I didn't feel like an idiot when a bull immediately responded from the mountain. Kicking it into high gear, I quickly covered the ridge top and got to the base of the mountain. Calling again produced more responses, not in the same area, but much closer. The next twenty minutes was me giving a call or two, then moving at first 100 yards, then 20-30 yards as I closed the distance. There were at least four distinct bugles. The wind was variable from the SE to the SW, but the bulls were uphill to the South of me, so all was well there.

Finally, one bugle was distinctly closer than the rest, so I focused on him. Give a call, quietly sprint 20 yards to the next pine, and wait. I repeated this a few times until I got one angry, close bugle. Time to shut up and let him come find me.

I saw the bull slipping my way about 80 yards out, and quickly to 30 yards when I drew. All I knew was his brow tines were plenty long enough to be legal. He passed by me on the downhill and I had to turn my body and replant my feet. One twig cracked and he stopped and drilled me with his gaze. "Awww no, did I just blow it?". I had no shot. I wasn't settled in either, so I just held steady at full draw. Steadily enough, apparently, because after 20 seconds he took two steps and bugled.

Settle in, he's close, 20 yard pin. Slightly quartered to - tight to the shoulder. Extreme downhill, so a touch high thinking of the exit, but also very close, so a touch low ... center mass it is. THUMP. All I could see was the fletching sticking out. He burst downhill, so I let out a few cow calls and he stopped. I couldn't see him anymore, but 5 seconds later was a massive crash.

"Holy crap ... That just happened. Seriously? I haven't even been here for much more than an hour. That really just happened."

I hadn't noticed, but the rain had stopped at some point. Earlier in the year, I had said I didn't know if I could hunt elk in the rain, as they can go a long ways on a fatal shot and tracking is hard enough. I debated for about 2 minutes on what to do, but the light was fading and the forecast was precipitation for the forseeable future.

I could see tracks from where I was standing, so I put an arrow in the ground and moved down to where I had shot. Within a few feet I found 8 inches on my arrow broken off, with all but the fletchings covered in blood. Marking this on the gps, I moved down to the next track and then scanned with my binoculars. It only took repeating this 3 or 4 times before I saw the bull piled up against a tree.

It wasn't until I walked over that I first got a good look at him. I'm not even sure I can describe what I was feeling at the time. I don't know if I've ever really seen a bull this size while hunting, let alone taken one. I know he's not like a 300 class elk, but this is an OTC unit and I don't pass up any legal bull.

As anybody who's hunted elk knows, though, this was just the start of the adventure ...

uc

Last edited:
Reactions: trb
Love the posts, keeps me inspired!

Thanks for following! I hope I can continue to inspire.

Keep up the hard work! I'm waiting for a "hero picture" text message :D

How'd I do? :D

Congratulations excited to hear the whole story.

Halfway there! Thanks for following!

Congratulations! As a southerner who has made this trip for the first time, I'm jealous of what y'all have up here. We only have a short window of time and it is tough!

It can be tough when you live here too, as it can be hard to decide what to focus on. But its a good problem to have. I used to live back East (that's where the Season 7 comes from) and can't imagine going back.

Congrats, I have enjoyed following along.

Thank you, and thanks for reading and your support!

Congrats Looks very nice, big body hope you had help packing him out!

I didn't at first, but I got lucky and will tell the rest of the story soon. Hopefully tomorrow morning or while I'm on the plane back to CO tomorrow afternoon, as we start the CO Muzzy pronghorn doubleheader on Thursday.

Well, I forgot my power cord on the airplane and this is the first moment I've been able to sit down since I landed.

Trying to finish butchering before heading North to be eyes and pack mule hopefully for my Dad.

Came home soaked yesterday, but with two more tags filled. :)

This next post brought to you by "Big Shooter Coffee" in Kremmling Colorado. :D

That's a really nice bull for otc. Definitely no shame there

Oh heck, I'm stoked! To me, he's huge! :D

---------------------------------------------------

Alright, bull down and recovered, hooray! Breathe for a moment... but darkness is approaching. I set up my pack on the uphill and stuck my phone in the quiver, which held it pretty still. I forgot how to do the multi-burst mode that worked so well before, and the rain was making the touchscreen a bit ornery, but I did alright. Would have been a good idea to clear some of the grass away but oh well. I wasn't going to move the 600+ pound animal much, either.

I sent a few pics to my best buds and got a reply from one of them "Where are you? - I'll come help pack! I'll bring the celebration."

Considering I know what it takes to get an elk out, and I had packed minimal - no hot food - this didn't take but a second for me to describe my location. It was about a 3 hour drive for Rand. Ok ... if you look back I had packed the "essentials." Apparently I had not deemed my kill kit, including my knife, essential. Dumbass. That earned me a trip back to the truck, about an hour of squishing in my wet boots each way.

I figured I had enough time to go back, get my kill kit, drink a Monster ( something I reserve pretty much only for packing out elk ) squish my back to the elk, skin half and get a pack load. I had just enough signal to keep in communication with Rand back at the truck. As I started back up the mountain, I got a text "ETA 12:38" ... damn, that's like 90 minutes later than the last estimate... ok... going to be a late night!

I got back to the elk at 10pm and got to work. This was the first time for many things for me. First solo elk butcher job, first time butchering in the rain, first time by headlamp. Amazingly, I did not skewer myself. The bull had wrapped around a tree in just the perfect fashion on the steep slope. I was able to use a trucker's hitch to pulley his front shoulder, and then hind quarter, up out of the way so I might cut underneath. Getting to the other side was a bit more difficult, but with a few lengths of paracord I managed to roll him over. It took about 80 minutes to do each side, leaving the head to be dealt with in the morning as I was fearing Rand would show up while I was still on the mountain, and I wanted to be sure I was there to greet him.

Making my way back down with the first load of meat, Backstraps, tenderloins and some other trim ( that was plenty heavy, don't discount that when planning a packing regime ), I was really glad I had a trekking pole with me, and was wishing I could have the second one, but I needed the extra light of my flashlight. It was DARK with no moon. The steep downhill deadfall covered section was no picnic, and I managed to get about 1/4 mile off course, ending up back at the truck just past 1am. Luckily, I had left my lantern on top of the truck to guide me.

Hmm, no Rand. I got out of my pack and texted him ... "You Lost?" a few minutes later... "Yep."

After much back and forth about where he was, I finally said I'd drive out to meet him at the main intersection. Arriving there, he wasn't there, even though he thought he was. This is so much fun... Definitely type 2 fun in boat loads. We finally figure they (yes they, S was with him as she wanted to experience the "fun" of packing an elk, having just gotten her hunter's ed cert and a new bow) turned down a nearby private road, and I can see his headlights. We made it back to camp and finally in bed just after 3am, with a 5am wakeup --- We're going after the herd before we finish packing out mine!

I've got to go. Just got a text from my Dad that promises interesting things, or a kick in the balls.

Back home as of last night. That was a whirlwind 400 miles! Now I'm even more awesome updates behind!

Unfortunately for y'all I have to get some actual work done, and I'm pretty sure my little lawn is approaching the two foot mark.

Last edited:
uc

We awoke early to the coldest morning of the season, and snow flakes lightly falling. Ok, I'll be honest. I'm not sure if I even slept, but a little rest was good.

I had forgotten to mention; the elk were bugling around me all night while I was quartering the bull. It seemed like it would be a simple matter to get Rand on one of them in the morning. We booked it up the ridge and over to the mountain where I had left the elk the night before, but all was quiet. Some light calling elicted nothing. Hmm ... did they really move in the last few hours?

Just as we were approaching my bull ( I was literally trying to find him based on my gps ), we finally heard a bugle. It wasn't close, but it wasn't far, so we moved into high gear to close the distance. The weather thought this was the perfect time to also shift into high gear, and while it wasn't quite a whiteout blizzard, it was snowing pretty hard. That made side hilling the 45+ degree slope just a pile of fun, but we were making progress.

Now, I haven't hunted much with Rand. We'd met at a BHA pint night a couple years ago and really hit it off, but our schedules just hadn't aligned. Ironically, the one day we'd gotten together last year was also a snow storm. Regardless, we seemed to be in tune as just as we came to a rockslide, and I felt we were within "the zone" of one of the bugling bulls, Rand motioned that he was going to attempt to slip in while I kept the bull talking. I was already positioning for just that.

Time passed, and passed and passed. The bull just kept on bugling. Sometimes it seemed like he was really close, and other times a little farther away, but with the wind howling, it was hard to tell. I made the decision that I needed to move. I had no idea where Rand was exactly but I trusted his instincts. There was a distinct saddle to my right, and it sounded like the bull had moved over there, so I made a dash for some cover and set up to call again.

He immediately growled at me, and then ten seconds later I could hear him bugling again, but way out. Uhoh, something just went sideways! I waited a bit and heard Rand give the meet up signal. Apparently, the 6x6 bull was leading a small herd, and he really wanted me to come join, so he'd run over, bugle at me, and then run back to the herd. I was trying to stay in cover over a small knob and saw none of this.

He'd finally had enough and pushed his herd away, but when I moved, I got his attention again. The change in position and the raging weather had made the bull sound much farther away than he was, and he wound up next to Rand at less than 20 yards with Rand looking past him. He was busted without a shot.

There were still a couple of bulls bugling above us, but we had been on those elk for almost 2 hours and the winds were starting to shift as the storm broke. We determined that going up after them would just push them out, so we headed back to pack out my bull.

That evening we tried to find the herd again, but with the storm having moved out and the weather bluebird once again, they did not move or bugle until after dark. Rand and S got on them again in the morning and went on a merry chase, but no shots were presented once again. I got a good night's sleep and left as they headed out, so that I might have a chance to pack and get some of the bull processed before my early flight the next morning.

uc

Last edited:
Three days later, I landed at DIA. FireTiger picked me up and we drove straight to our camping location, arriving about midnight. It was a beautiful night for camping, and both of us being a bit short on sleep, decided to sleep in a little bit. Total blasphemy but with pronghorn its not essential that you're out there at O'Dark thirty, especially during the muzzy season when there's only like 50 hunters across hundreds of square miles.

We got to our parking spot having only seen one herd on the way in. We knew where we wanted to go; a pond located about a mile and a half from our truck. As we approached, we could tell it would not be like last year. There was no water visible. However, there was a herd of about a dozen pronghorn about a half mile away led by a mature buck. FireTiger was unsure about stalking so many eyes, but we were not seeing much else in the vicinity so she decided to try anyway. Well, our usual tricks did not work, and the herd slowly moved away. NEXT!

We worked our way over to a couple of berms that have been good ambush spots in the past. FireTiger commented that she wasn't feeling well and I would be up next. Awhile later I caught a buck moving down the valley, eventually bedding down. Go time! I closed the distance to under 200 yards and began the slow crawl for the next 100+ yards. Just as I was getting near range ( I wanted 70 yards or less, ideally), another buck appeared on a bee line for my target. Poor timing for me, as my buck got up and worked away at a 90 from me. However, the new buck was even bigger and he was coming straight to me.

Whoever said pronghorn don't care about the wind has not hunted them at close range. As the buck hit 100 yards, the wind gusted straight to him and he immediately did a 180 with plenty of their funny little snorts.

I took FireTiger back to the truck, had a little nap, ate some lunch, and tried a different ridge. Two more stalks yielded bucks at 180 and 120 yards, but not within my comfort range with open sights. I learned where there was some water, but darkness fell much sooner than it did at the start of archery season.

Oh, I forgot to mention. It was dang hot. I was hunting in just my orange vest. I did not authorize the following...

uc

Last edited:
Saturday, we still didn't make it out before daylight, but while bumbling down the two track we passed a good looking buck. We made it to the gate and went into action. He was less than a half mile back, and only 100 yards off the two track. FireTiger circled around to play decoy, while I stalked in. I spotted him on the horizon and headed that direction, but I had accidentally spotted a second buck. With my eyes on the wrong buck, I came over a slight rise and was pegged by the buck we were supposed to be stalking, which was at much closer range.

Feeling busted, I decided to get aggressive. I flipped the bipod legs down and tossed the muzzleloader over my shoulder. I'm just another rutty pronghorn buck! It almost worked. The buck changed directions and started circling towards me. I got within 150 yards three times, but I just wasn't bucky enough.

Back to the truck and onwards, just before we came to our parking spot, we spotted the same herd FireTiger had stalked the morning before. They had caught our truck, but we dropped over a rise and were able to park out of sight. It looked like they were on a slight ridge with some stalkable terrain to the NW. Since they had already spotted us, we decided to employ the "The Man Behind the Curtain" - I would get up on the ridge and walk around to the NE, while FireTiger looped in NW and flanked / came up from the rear.

I got a little worried that it wasn't going to work when they started trotting off to the North, but they didn't go far before the buck hooked them back. I saw FireTiger crawling up behind a yucca behind them, and figured there would be a shot at any moment, but none came. They were so focused on me, but two does finally got nervous and pulled away NW. The buck did not like that and ran over to bring them back. He should have let them go. One shot at ~70 yards had our first buck down.

uc

uc

FireTiger told me to go hunt while she dealt with breaking down the buck. I won't argue! I headed off toward the dry pond and got a solid stalk in, but an unseen bedded fawn busted me as I closed to 100 yards. Drat!

I put on several miles and just was not finding what I was looking for. The pronghorn had moved out of sight, and its hard to hunt animals that aren't there, so I did something I don't usually do and headed back to the truck. We went into town for a frozen treat ( sorry no DQ around here ) and to shore up our ice reserves, then back around to scope out some other territory. The winds were pretty bad, and I think that was keeping the pronghorn bedded. Even from the truck we were not having any luck finding animals. Just before dark we saw a buck pushing a doe and I tried my hand, but it wasn't meant to be.

The next morning things felt like they were going to be a bit cooler, so I actually put a shirt on before heading out. This time, we were also parked before shooting light! FireTiger still was not feeling 100%, so I let her go back to bed while I headed down a fence line. I watched from a hidden high point and there just wasn't much out there within 3 or 4 miles. Very unusual for this area. There was one herd at around 2 miles, and they looked like they might head toward a water hole.

After watching for another 30 minutes or so, I figured I had nothing to lose. This tank was on a slight rise that should cover most of my approach, so off I went. As I closed to 400 yards of the tank, it looked like the pronghorn were doing the same from the other side, so I made sure to keep it between us. At 200 yards I went into crawl mode, wanting to get to 70 yards from the tank. 150, 120, 70 ... might as well keep going... I paused at 50 for 15 minutes hoping they would show up, and then it started to rain.

As I didn't think they would come in now, I snuck all the way to the tank and leaned out from the side to figure out what happened. I couldn't find any animals. There was a group of yuccas 15 yards closer, so I snuck to them. I really didn't want to peak over the top as that's a great way to get busted. There ... two black horns in the grass. They moved a bit farther away and bedded. Ok, back to crawl mode, though I'm not sure how far they are.

It was a lot of wet, muddy crawling. I kept thinking they must be within shooting distance now, but all I could see were his horns. I know there's 8 does around here somewhere, too. I had crawled 300 yards from the tank when a doe finally stood up. Still 120 yards away, just out of my comfort range. The buck then followed suit, as did all the rest, and they started to calmly feed. Away from me, of course. There isn't much more depressing than crawling 600 yards then to have your target walk off just before you're ready.

I started to get a little impatient, and eventually got busted. I tried several things including my bipod trick. They repeatedly allowed me to get within 150 yards but no closer. About the 7th attempt, things changed. Another herd came over a little ridge right into the one I was stalking. I sat back to watch. The lead buck in that group charged my target. I hoped the new buck might run one of them right into me, but it didn't happen. After about 10 minutes of this, the two bucks and half a dozen does took off straight south for miles. An immature buck scooped up the remaining does and headed the opposite direction fast.

I sat there a bit depressed. There was nothing for miles. About 20 minutes later, FireTiger called me on the walkie talkie. I could just barely make her out by the fence. As I was watching her through the binoculars, one of the bucks from earlier appeared out of nowhere, headed back northwest. I didn't think I could cut him off, but it was generally the way back anyway, so I took off. Apparently there was a depression and he disappeared in it. I lost him for 5 minutes and was starting to get frustrated when horns appeared 200 yards away.

Hitting the dirt, I wondered what I was doing. Why would the buck come by me? I can't answer that, but he continued in my direction. I could just see his horns over the grass as he angled past me on the right, and then for no explicable reason did a 90 and came across to my left. He was about 100 yards out, but due to the curvature and grass I had no shot. It looked like he was going to walk away, so I took a risk. While prone, grabbing a white game bag, I lifted it a foot in the air for a moment, and then put it back down.

BINGO! He made a beeline straight to me. I figured 30 yards was close enough and took the hard quartering shot. I spent the next hour or so packing him up in the pouring rain. FireTiger was able to get the Soaked and the mud getting worse, I deemed it time to head on home! Glad I had put a shirt on as it didn't break 55 that day, as opposed to the 85 the day before.

uc

Another great hunt and awesome storytelling congratulations to both of you. Your buck has some unique horns.

Another great hunt and awesome storytelling congratulations to both of you. Your buck has some unique horns.

Awesome! Great season so far.

The team is having a great year. Thanks for taking us along.

Enjoyed it!

Thanks for reading gentlemen! I always appreciate comments. We didn't think we could top last year, but we're on track to do just that.

I've still got one more story before we head to Wyoming this weekend! We're both going to do something we rarely do - try to hold out for "Big Hank".

We're relatively new to inline muzzleloaders, so before I post the next story, since some of you might be interested in this kind of stuff, we were shooting Thor 250g bullets over 80 grains of Blackhorn 209. We dropped the bullet weight and powder load this year since going magnum made FireTiger kick shy and was really messing up her shooting. This load barely kicks at all, but obviously got the job done just fine. On the other buck, the bullet was lodged in his rear hip socket after going through his whole body.

uc

uc

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
clamwc
Back