Gastro Gnome - Eat Better Wherever

GPS Shopping

JLDemo

Well it's about time I buy a new GPS, I've gotten a solid eight years out of my old one but it's time. Would like to hear from everyone on the pros and cons of what they are using. I'm out of the loop on what's good or bad in today's GPS world so I'm all ears. Not opposed to buying a used one either. Whatever I get, it has to be able to take a mini SD card, could care less if it's touch screen or not. Besides that, I'm open on everything else. Let me hear it!

If I was buying one now I would go with the Garmin 64sc. I have the 62 model and seems to be a solid unit. I have been told that if you are hunting in the cold the touchscreens can get real slow to react. Don't know if this is true anymore or not, but a couple years ago when I bought the 62 I was told that the external antennae gets a little better reception that the units with an internal antennae. Don't know if this is true anymore or not, but I remember reading a review stating this.

Still hard to beat the Garmin 64. Not the biggest screen but I can operate it with thick gloves on or with the thumb if I'm wearing mittens. Then again I'm a bit of a Luddite anyway so maybe the new touch screen ones are worth checking out :)

Thanks for the advice and input, I've been looking at several and so far the Garmin 64S and 64ST are the top two. For those of you who have used these, what are your pro's and con's?

We just bought a garmin 64st three weeks ago so far like it. It's a big upgrade compared to our old Vistas.

We just bought a garmin 64st three weeks ago so far like it. It's a big upgrade compared to our old Vistas.

I have an 2008 etrex, whatever I get will be an upgrade! How's the battery life on either the charge or the AA's? User friendly?

I would seriously consider just getting the onxmaps app. I've been using it all season now and love it. Try it and if you find you want a dedicated gps, then your only out 20 bucks or so.

Otherwise my Oregon 600 worked vreat.

We have onyx maps on our gps Been using them for alot of years. The 64 is pretty user friendly the buttons are big enough that can scroll through easy set up was fairly simple. The battery life seems okay so far but haven't had it in the cold or on for an extended amount of time.

I would seriously consider just getting the onxmaps app. I've been using it all season now and love it. Try it and if you find you want a dedicated gps, then your only out 20 bucks or so.

Otherwise my Oregon 600 worked vreat.

Thanks for the tip, I did some research and decided to go ahead and give the Onx app a try. It worked out perfectly, being a first time Onx map user I was blown away at the info and how well it worked even when I was out of cell range. (saved map) I think I think I'll hold off on the GPS for now, but due to my hate of smart phones I'll probably buy a GPS in the off season. If they made flip phones with half way decent cameras, I would've never bought this damn smart phone. I might be pushing it, but I really wish onx made the state specific walk-in areas visible. Thanks again for the help, the app is great.

Back