Caribou Gear Tarp

AZ Unit 8 January Archery Deer

WBouldin

So this year i snagged a Pref Point for Northern CA and my second tag is for the local mountains with extremely low deer densities. I was thinking of supplementing this season with the AZ unit 8 January archery deer tag. Williams is about 6 hours from me so its not too far and AZ has a short term combo license that would cut down on the non-resident cost.

My initial research shows it is a tough hunt but I am wondering whether or not its a total waste of time. Can any of the AZ guys weigh in here on their experience or local rumors of that late season hunt?

I can't speak to the quality of the hunt itself but I've been in Unit 8 several times for camping and also for a late cow elk hunt, I believe it was the first week or December, a couple of years ago. I also grew up in Prescott (~45 minutes from 8) for 18 years. I should also say I am an adult-onset hunter so I didn't 'grow up hunting' in the area.

With that - Unit 8 is a great unit that is incredibly beautiful as well as being pretty highly regarded in Arizona. Not one of the top tier units, but definitely right below that. It has all kinds of climate and terrain. In January, it will likely be freezing temps every night. Snow will be hit or miss and could probably be avoided (or found) by relocating in the unit. There are quite a bit of roads in the unit but there are still places for you to get away. I believe that tag is for Any Antlered Deer? If so, there is both Coues and Mule Deer in the unit. I don't think there is high densities of either, but definitely more mule deer, although it seems more and more people are finding coues in there. I also can't imagine the unit being jam-packed during OTC Archery deer like it is during an elk hunt, but again, I don't think I've been in the unit during January anytime recently.

I don't have much to tell, but feel free to PM me if you want.

EDIT: also visit coueswhitetail.com and browse the forums. It's an AZ centered forum and there is plenty of people there that could give you firsthand knowledge on what the hunt is like.

Last edited:
I second the coueswhitetail.com reference. tons of info. pick your terrain depending on weather. plenty of muleys, but coues are gaining a foothold. Good luck

FYI, you are not able to purchase a deer tag in AZ on a short term license. You will have to buy the one year nonresident combo license.

Those northern units can have some pretty nasty weather that time of year. I would definitely have a plan B and C.

There are nice bucks in 8, 6B and 10. Took a buck out of 10 a few years back with my bow. These units all have OTC archery hunts in January....good luck.

January is my favorite time to hunt deer in AZ. It's definitely not a waste of time.

As mentioned, you will need the NR combo and an OTC archery deer tag. The tag is good for the calendar year and is not unit specific, so you can go anywhere with an open hunt. If you don't tag out in January you can come back in August/September, and again in December. Since you have a license, you can apply for tags or build points in the draws.

As far as unit 8 during January-- you can expect snow above about 6,000 feet. Unless you like to camp in the snow you'll probably want to check out the lower elevation areas. Let me know if you have any specific questions.

Back