Leupold BX-4 Rangefinding Binoculars

Bored with MN whitetail tree stands

VikingsGuy

Per the title, we are in the process of understanding the various deer hunting options in the mountain west. What states have the best odds for a non-resident to pull a draw? Which states have the least expensive license and preference point system? we are looking to pick the top two best fits and start earning preference points, as we aren't looking to go for at least 3 years.

Thanks,
Dan

With 3 years to plan and build points, I would think Wyoming and Colorado might be good options. Montana has pretty good draw odds for region 7, but you could build points for more "trophy" areas if that's what you're looking for.

I would probably put Wyoming at the top of the list and then try to figure out which state I wanted to hunt the most after that. Arizona and Nevada have some excellent deer hunts, but I'm not very knowledgeable on their draw odds and points systems if they have points.

Dan - You ought to give Randy's podcast a listen if you haven't yet. He covers about all of the questions you're asking better than most can explain here..

gun or archery? WY points will go up next year so be prepared for that shock.

With 3 years to plan and build points, I would think Wyoming and Colorado might be good options. Montana has pretty good draw odds for region 7, but you could build points for more "trophy" areas if that's what you're looking for.

I would probably put Wyoming at the top of the list and then try to figure out which state I wanted to hunt the most after that. Arizona and Nevada have some excellent deer hunts, but I'm not very knowledgeable on their draw odds and points systems if they have points.

Draw odds for region 7 ? Last time I checked it was a statewide gen tag in Montana . Except for few permit areas way west

gun only

I knew the $$ in WY were going up, but are you referring to point inflation?

Just the amount, but when they go up this much expect it to be easier to get a tag as people IMO are going to dump points next year. Idaho is OTC for deer I believe.

If your done with Treestand hunting Whitetails, why don't you hunt them with a ground blind? lol

If your done with Treestand hunting Whitetails, why don't you hunt them with a ground blind? lol[/QUOT

I should have more accurately said, "bored with sitting" :)

I love pheasants and grouse because I love the walking (and the dog work). Haven't done a ton of deer or turkey here in MN because of their "sit and wait" style. Super excited to start "walk n stalk" in the west for 'lope, deer and elk.

I know the sensation you are going through. For starters you could go find a decent sized piece of public land in MN and get to walking. I have started doing spot and stalk more here in IN and I really enjoy it.

On a small parcel, sitting is necessary, but other wise it is funny to think about how "tradition" or "norms" has us thinking we have to hunt a certain way in the midwest and another in the west.

Also, I will be packing a stand and sticks to MT for my deer hunt this fall. You never know!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
atlasbranch
Back