State Options

VikingsGuy

The are no Elk in my state of resident, so I am in the process of understanding the various options in the mountain west, with a strong preference for lower elevation "plains" elk hunts. What states have the best odds for a non-resident to pull a draw? Which states have the least expensive license and preference point system? Are there any states that have good mid-elevation/plains/plateau elk hunting are most deep in the mountain ranges? I am looking to pick the top two best fits and start earning preference points, as we aren't looking to go for at least 4 years.

Thanks,
Dan

Generally speaking most plains type hunting will be on private land or will take a decades worth of points (with a rifle). WY, MT, CO, NM, ect. all have that type of hunt so like esracerx said you are better off picking the type of draw system you want to participate in and then finding the unit you want in that state. NM is a lottery system, CO is preference points, MT is bonus points each has their own quirks.

Colorado has OTC 2nd and 3rd rifle tags for elk. I'm not sure what units would be considered a plains hunt other than the plains tags for the SE which have hardly any elk and what elk you do find are usually on private land.

Dan,

Wanting to build preference points and plan to use them in 4 years limits your options a lot to start with. New Mexico and Idaho have no point systems so you'll never know when you're going to draw. Montana can be expensive to apply and build points in, and is a bonus point system so it's hard to know when you'll draw, and if you don't draw you'll be stuck paying 20% of the very expensive tag fee. Arizona is an option but you won't draw a good elk tag in 4 years as a non-resident unless you get very lucky. Arizona is also a long ways from Minnesota, and also is pretty expensive to build points in each year, somewhere just south of $200 just for a point. Nevada and Utah are close to impossible to draw tags in within a decade.

Based off of what you're looking for Wyoming and Colorado are the only options that sound logical to me. Each have point systems, and each have relatively reasonable tag and point fees. I couldn't tell you about plains tags except that WY and CO have them, and in general they are going to take more than 4 points to draw. Any plains elk hunt that takes less points than that will likely have a very low success rate, and elk hunting success rates are fairly low to begin with.

Oh come on! Don't you want to put in for the once in a lifetime Minnesota elk tag?

Dan,

Wanting to build preference points and plan to use them in 4 years limits your options a lot to start with. New Mexico and Idaho have no point systems so you'll never know when you're going to draw. Montana can be expensive to apply and build points in, and is a bonus point system so it's hard to know when you'll draw, and if you don't draw you'll be stuck paying 20% of the very expensive tag fee. Arizona is an option but you won't draw a good elk tag in 4 years as a non-resident unless you get very lucky. Arizona is also a long ways from Minnesota, and also is pretty expensive to build points in each year, somewhere just south of $200 just for a point. Nevada and Utah are close to impossible to draw tags in within a decade.

Based off of what you're looking for Wyoming and Colorado are the only options that sound logical to me. Each have point systems, and each have relatively reasonable tag and point fees. I couldn't tell you about plains tags except that WY and CO have them, and in general they are going to take more than 4 points to draw. Any plains elk hunt that takes less points than that will likely have a very low success rate, and elk hunting success rates are fairly low to begin with.

I think this is good info. IMO the best bang for the buck for somebody starting out is to get points in CO and WY. If you hunt multiple species you should be able to alternate these two states every year or two and have hunts in decent units every year (using 2-5 points per hunt). I'm also putting in for points in AZ and hoping for pretty good hunt there every 5 to 7 yrs. Also applying for some better units in NM and hope to draw a couple of those before I kick the bucket.

Decided I was too far behind in the game to start in UT and NV....to make those a good value for me. If I was closer I would likely add ID to the mix. I don't know that much about MT but think it is fairly expensive to just build points there and go once in a while. MT might be a decent value if you don't draw the limited tag, but still go hunt on some of the over the counter type tags.

I don't think you should really focus on plains type elk hunts unless you have lots of years to build points or lots of money to buy landowner type tags. But if that is a super high priority you could always get lucky and draw that type of unit in AZ, NM, or WY. Somebody else may know better but WY may have some plains type elk hunting in some general units that would only take a couple points to draw....but I wouldn't know the quality of hunt that would be.

Vikingsguy what is the draw of the plains type hunt? Are you just interested in that environment in which case maybe consider a pronghorn hunt that you could do over the counter. Another thing to consider would be crop damage hunts in various states. There are lots of options for cow tags on private lands in plains type environments across the west during the late season.

You can find what you are looking for if you are willing to hunt cows. Add a couple hundred inches of antlers to the equation and you are looking at needing either a very substantial checking account balance, a very long life expectancy, or a hell of a lot of luck. The Minnesota elk tag would give you about as good of odds as anything.

Vikingsguy what is the draw of the plains type hunt? Are you just interested in that environment in which case maybe consider a pronghorn hunt that you could do over the counter. Another thing to consider would be crop damage hunts in various states. There are lots of options for cow tags on private lands in plains type environments across the west during the late season.

I enjoy walking rolling grasslands but not as much mountain climbing. I do a bunch of pheasant hunting and am starting antelope. I really like the taste of Elk and would love to bring home some meat with out having to hire a mule train to drag it (and me) through mountainous terrain.

You can find what you are looking for if you are willing to hunt cows. Add a couple hundred inches of antlers to the equation and you are looking at needing either a very substantial checking account balance, a very long life expectancy, or a hell of a lot of luck. The Minnesota elk tag would give you about as good of odds as anything.

Not a trophy guy, so does do offer options. As for MN, most years they don't grant any licenses, this year they have 13. Better off playing lotto and buying an expensive NM outfitter tag with the winnings :)

There's elk to be had in non plains type units that aren't in crazy steep terrain. Finding those pockets is what makes it so rewarding. You don't have to be in terrain where you need trekking poles to walk to find good animals. You don't have to be 6 miles in either. I don't want to say those are myths...but its overstated. Watch Big Fin and Corey's spot and stalk in New Mexico. Why wait 4 years when you don't have to. If you dont draw you're not out anything

There's elk to be had in non plains type units that aren't in crazy steep terrain. Finding those pockets is what makes it so rewarding. You don't have to be in terrain where you need trekking poles to walk to find good animals. You don't have to be 6 miles in either. I don't want to say those are myths...but its overstated. Watch Big Fin and Corey's spot and stalk in New Mexico. Why wait 4 years when you don't have to. If you dont draw you're not out anything

Good points. In part the timing relates to my son's football commitments.

I don't know the cost of points. I hunt Idaho and there is no point system here. Just a thought, if you're not looking to hunt each year for elk, or on a regular basis. Buying points, and some license requirements over 4 years seems like it could add up with out of state fees and multiple states too. Have you considered doing a guided elk hunt in 4 years? Or what the cost difference is? There are guided hunts, and outfitters. Outfitters will drop you off in the mountains and guides will hunt with you. It might be worth while check it out, if I had to spend a little extra for guided or semi-guided hunt in 4 years, versus going in with out the experience or knowledge of the area I might choose the guide.

Can anyone price out buying out of state license fees and points per year? Now I'm curious myself.

Can anyone price out buying out of state license fees and points per year? Now I'm curious myself.

It's not a very simple answer. Some states charge a point fee, some require you to buy a non-resident hunting license, and some don't even have points but still make you buy a license.

Non-refundable cost for an elk point each year (sort of, each state has unique quirks, some make you pay up from for the tag. And for states that don't have points I put nonrefundable cost to apply ):

Arizona: $175 ($160 license + $15 point fee)
Colorado: $43 (sort of, it's different if you did or didn't hold a hunting license in Colorado the previous year)
Idaho: Doesn't have points. You can apply for non-refundable $170 ($155 license + $15 app fee)
Montana: $50 for preference point, $20 for bonus point (but costs much much more to actually apply to hunt. You'll have to draw an $851 general license with your preference points, then apply for controlled hunts with your bonus points, and if you don't draw a controlled hunt you have to eat 20% of that $851 unless you want to hunt the general tag)
Nevada: $163.50 ($142 hunting license + $21.50 app fee)
New Mexico: Doesn't have points but you can apply for non-refundable $13 (that's all it costs if you don't draw, but NM doesn't have points. You'll front the tag fee and then get it all back except the $13 if you don't draw, but you won't earn points)
Utah: $75 ($65 hunting license + $10 app fee)
Wyoming: $50 point fee

That may not have all been perfect but I think it was as far as the cost of building points. I rushed typing it while I'm at work so apologies if it isn't perfect. The actual cost if you draw a tag is a whole 'nother thing......

I had the same thought Ryan. In New Mexico you can go a semi-guided route where you have to meet with the outfitter on a couple days. He points you in the right direction and you're good to go. You're still using the draw so the tag cost is down. Going the landowner tag route through an outfitter will be expensive. 3,000 for the authorization, 600-800 for tag and license, and outfitter fees on top. If you can get the tag through the state and use an outfitter to help pick a unit based on how you want to hunt...might be money ahead in the long run.

The football thing makes sense. I played sports or was racing stock cars all over the country for a while. Missed more than a few days of school because of it. Missed a few races because I was hunting. Priorities.

IMO, the criteria of a "plains" type hunt does a couple of things. For a bull tag means you'll either have a LONG wait in getting the tag, be extremely lucky in a draw, or pay a good chunk of money (for the tag or access). Cows tags for that type of country get a bit easier, but still not always a shoe in. Best way for either, overall, is probably a late season tag where the weather can be an issue. That said, elk hunts in "plains" type country are fun!! :D

Wyoming Elk 2015 by Tyler Staggs, on Flickr

Wyoming Elk 2015 by Tyler Staggs, on Flickr

Wyoming has some good foothills type hunts in general areas . However the elevation will still be high in the foothills.

Nice bull by the way !!
Thanks. That was in WY. Lots of guys wouldn't have shot that bull on opening day in that unit, but he bugled in my face at 60yds. I just had too at that point. ;) Only my second bull so I'm not as picky as some. The one I was after was quite the freak! He was shot about 1/2mi away about 10mins before I shot this one. I ran into the guy with that bull in town. Wouldn't score for beans, but I thought it was pretty darn cool.
Untitled by Tyler Staggs, on Flickr

Sitka Gear Turkey Tool Belt

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tmich05
Back