Cabela's

JosephBrown

I'm assuming Bass Pro is still buying them, I haven't followed it much recently. But being a fan of Cabela's and their brand specific gear, specifically the outfitter stuff, is anyone else worried about the quality of it being changed when Bass Pro takes over? I'm not quite sure what forum to put this under also, so I just put it here.

7-5-2017

The merger of Bass Pro Shops and Cabela’s (CAB) has received the go-ahead from antitrust regulators

In a filing with the SEC, Cabela’s said Wednesday the Federal Trade Commission informed the company earlier this week that it concluded its investigation of Bass Pro’s $4.2 billion buyout. Cabela’s shareholders will vote on the deal July 11.

The transaction, which is expected to close during the third quarter, is also contingent on the successful sale of Cabela’s financial unit to Synovus Financial (SNV), a bank based in Georgia, and Capital One Financial (COF).

I would suspect the quality of the name brand stuff to go down and or change in design. Lots of gear makers out there and there's nothing I get from them that I can't get elsewhere. Not worried...

I received a letter saying that they are planning on keeping the Cabela's rewards program intact. The Bass Pro program sucked because once you got $10 worth of rewards they sent a certificate that expired in 30 or 60 days so you weren't able to bank any points.

I find service at Cabela's to be horrible. Fortunately I have Sportsman Warehouse five minutes from the house and their people and products are legit.

A long time ago, I loved Cabelas. I mean I really loved their stuff... I must have been like an ambassador of their products. IMO their products and service were second to none. About 8-10 years ago it started to change and both dropped off big time. Cabelas of the past is no more, and it may as well merge with BPS because it just doesn't get it done anymore. I know many people who feel this way and no longer go there despite being 20 minutes of less from home. If it wasn't for their club card, I'd never shop there for hunting related products. Their branded gear quality dropped off. Their warranty for that gear is more of a smoke mirrors policy. Their selection is worse than it has ever been.

Cabelas is an important feature of my state and I know several people who work at Cabelas across the State in many different capacities. It devastates them as much as anyone to see l the decline and the eventual sale to BPS, but the ones who have been there for a long time have seen the difference since they went public. What was, isn't anymore. Sad but true. Times change and we all adjust. Capitalism prevailed, and I can't argue with that...

For that matter, I don't go to BPS either. They have a better selection, but for most gear its better for me to go to a Sportsman's warehouse, Scheels, or just buy it on the internet. The bigger the store, the less I want to go there...

We had our first Cabela's store open up about a half hour from me about 5 years ago. It's in Hoffman estates illinois. It's in an absolutely horrible location. When it first opened up it was fantastic. 2 levels and packed. Within maybe a year the whole upper level was closed off. The amount of stuff they had was halved. The stuff they did have I liked better than Bass pro. I read somewhere when the deal was first announced that Johnny Morris essentially said Cabela's beat them in the hunting category and BPS was ahead in fishing. It didn't sound like they wanted to change that. The Cabela's brand IMO is superior to redhead. Gander mountain filed for bankruptcy and was bought by Camping World.

I thought I had heard that the deal was held up because Capital one ran into regulatory hurdles. They wanted everything. Feds wouldn't allow it so Capital one deals with the credit cards. Synovus is in control of Worlds Foremost bank. The delay in the deal dropped the purchase price by a few bucks a share.

Howdy. My location: Austin, Texas.
==> I have Cabelas minutes to the south in Buda, TX.
==> I have Bass Pro minutes to the north in Round Rock, TX.
==> There used to be a Sportsman Warehouse in south Round Rock, TX.

Sportsman Warehouse closed and could not compete here.
Bass Pro is much more geared to the "fishing world" than Cabelas. Cabelas is much more geared to all hunting than Bass Pro is.
These are facts. Just come on down here and see what I mean.
NOTE: The Cabela family is one of my neighbors!!!!

From what I understood from the original press statement from Johnny Morris, Cabela's would still maintain its own brand and would simply be added under the umbrella of Bass Pro.

From what I understood from the original press statement from Johnny Morris, Cabela's would still maintain its own brand and would simply be added under the umbrella of Bass Pro.

I'm worried that it will change no matter what he says. Cause I really like the Cabela's outfitter series stuff and do not want that to change at all. I've already started looking at other stuff to be prepared for it to change

Cabelas has gone south for several years IMHO. Bass Pro Shops can only help the current situation.

'Gone south'...
That's polite compared to my thoughts about ours
I know not every store is like the billings one, but it is terrible.

I've always had good luck with Cabelas stuff too, IMO much better quality than bass pro, gander mtn, etc... I hope it doesn't change much either. I do think that some of the Cabelas retail stores have gone down hill, particularly the newer stores. Two of the ones closest to me are nice, huge stores, they've been around 15-20 years(Hamburg PA and Wheeling, WV). I've visited some of the newer stores while traveling around the country and I was not impressed, much smaller store and selection.

The one down here in GA is pretty good customer service, but i normally just order their stuff online. The only complaint I have with ours is that they don't carry much of what I think is their good gear

Shareholders win and customers lose. But the beauty of this model is the entrepreneur will now find a nitch. I used to buy everything at Cabela's. Now I buy from Sitka, Kuiu, and the local gun shop for my Kimbers. Midway USA carries my ammo. Amazon carries everything else I need. Cabela's got caught with brick and mortar in a world moving to online sales. They just can't compete. There might be a place for a mega Amazon model dedicated to the outdoorsman. Whoever can build that model might be on to something...

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dalton14rocks
Back