Backstrap, it's what's for dinner

Wyatt G

IMG_4746.jpg
Soaked them overnight in apple juice and red raspberry preservers. Seasoned in salt, pepper, and garlic salt, grilled on medium heat to medium rare. Also had some grilled french bread, garlic potatoes, and corn. Added a bit of stubbs bbq sauce and had a pretty awesome dinner.

Looks yummy.

I have always dredged them in flour/salt/pepper, throw in a cast iron pan with a dab of bacon grease and a sliver of onion. About the only way we eat game steaks.

I know everyone has their own way of cooking venison but I'm wondering, why are you trying to mask the flavor of your venison? Apple juice, raspberry and bbq sauce? Of course if it was a rutty old buck I can certainly understand. I have had rutty bucks that were simply inedible.
I agree with idnative on the salt/pepper and flour for backstrap which is so tender and flavorful.

Last edited:
I know everyone has their own way of cooking venison but I'm wondering, why are you trying to mask the flavor of your venison? Apple juice, raspberry and bbq sauce? Of course if it was a rutty old buck I can certainly understand. I have had rutty bucks that were simply inedible.
I agree with idnative on the salt/pepper and flour for backstrap which is so tender a flavorful.

Agree,

All I do is thaw it, coat it with thick salt/pepper and wrap it in plastic wrap for a night, then I either BBQ it or braise it and roast or sometimes pan fry with a little butter.. absolutely perfect.

I agree with idnative on the salt/pepper and flour for backstrap which is so tender and flavorful.
I let it soak overnight to drain all the blood out of it and get rid of the so called "gamey" taste. I've been told to use salt water for the soaking but i figured apple juice would be a safer bet since i don't enjoy salty meat. I usually don't like bbq sauce with my steaks (beef or venison) but it made the meat a bit better. I usually let soak overnight, about 5 hours before i cook it i add some dale's sauce, then season and grill. I was out of dale's is the reason for the raspberry.

Last edited:
I had deer backstrap for dinner tonight to appease the antelope gods with a sacrifice of a different animal to hopefully lift the curse that's on me...

I had deer backstrap for dinner tonight to appease the antelope gods with a sacrifice of a different animal to hopefully lift the curse that's on me...

I had the last of my moose backstraps tonight (season opens next month!)

I put a little olive oil on my backstraps, salt and pepper then on a very hot grill.

I do not put fridge-cold backstraps on...I put them out in a container at room temp for an hour or so
so they get a good "bark" and grill marks when grilled.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tmich05
Back