South Dakota Non Resident Black Hills Draw odds.

Stacking Bones

I purchased a preference point this year and was hoping to apply for a black hills deer tag for next year.
Does anyone know what the draw odds are for this area?
Any chance on getting a tag with one preference point or should I just save it and get another one next year?

For whitetail does everyone draws not for bucks or any deer.

Change to BH101 and you will see what I mean.

For an explanation of hunt codes download the deer application.

Thanks, when I looked at the 2016 draw it seamed whoever applied got a tag no matter the preference point.
Am I reading it wrong?

You can't draw whitetail buck tag without a point and it more likely takes 2 points to draw. I've kept track of the odds since 1999

You can't draw whitetail buck tag without a point and it more likely takes 2 points to draw. I've kept track of the odds since 1999

We didn't draw this year as residents with one point for whitetail bucks.

No, but gaining points is not automatic. You have to purchase them. Either when you apply, or after your unsuccessful draw.

How many points does it take for Mule deer tag there?Drove thru the Black Hills years ago,and looked like great country for a hunt

How many points does it take for Mule deer tag there?Drove thru the Black Hills years ago,and looked like great country for a hunt

We there's only 16 NR tags so it will take a few years. I tried for 4 years then switched back to whitetail as I was sick of waiting (and I drew a muley tag in ND). I know cornfed from here drew this year. Not sure how many points he had.

At least two. It's a bonus point system. In 2016 25 people with 10 points didn't draw it, but 30 with 2 points did. No telling. Archery is a guaranteed tag.

All that information is on the link BlakeA posted. Just play around with it.

Like MNHunter we elect not to chase Black Hills any deer tags.

You could hunt the Wyoming side (Region A) of the Black Hills every year.

I buy points for West River deer but I won't buy Black Hills points.

IT just says 153 people applies with 2 or more points. 16 of those people were drawn. It doesnt say what point holder were awarded the tag. Isnt it a pure preference point system? My wife and I have 3 points for black hills and im trying to figure out when I need to be applying for my mule deer tag with my wife. HArd to plan any kid of a trip around this information they provide.

From what I understand, you need a minimum of 2 points to even be placed into the draw. Everyone in the draw will then have their points squared so there's never really a guarantee that you'll draw regardless of points.

gotcha.

If you apply as a group do you go in as one or separate applications? Meaning you both have to draw to get the tags and if one of you doesnt you both get kicked out? If thats the case it could be a very long time before me and the wife are able to get this tag.

IT just says 153 people applies with 2 or more points. 16 of those people were drawn. It doesnt say what point holder were awarded the tag. Isnt it a pure preference point system? My wife and I have 3 points for black hills and im trying to figure out when I need to be applying for my mule deer tag with my wife. HArd to plan any kid of a trip around this information they provide.
Did you ever apply? What was your results with 3 points?
My buddy and I have 3 points. I was going to buy one more and apply next year.

SD tweaked their system a few years ago. They breakdown the results by point level on their website.

If you’re looking at nonresident BH mule deer, those will probably take a lot of points.

Save $100 on the Leupold VX-3HD

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Crookhunt
Back