New guy from Colorado

Alpine

Hi All,

New guy here; I figured I would post up a bit about myself; not that anyone really cares. I just like to see my name in print because I am a pretty big deal. Haha.

Seriously though, I just enjoy contributing where I can. Over the years I have built up a pretty good selection of experiences here in Colorado and hope to be able to share some of that.

I have lived in northern Colorado since I was 6, so as of this summer that would be 49 years of exploring one of God’s best ideas. Yea, the Front Range is getting pretty crowded and I sometimes dream of moving somewhere a little more remote, but still, Colorado is awesome.

When I have free time – which is rare – I love hiking and scrambling, summiting the high peaks (any other 14ers finishers on here?), backpacking, climbing, trail running, backcountry skiing, fourwheeling, etc. If it gets done in the mountains I probably like it.

Realistically though I get more dreaming done than actual outside time. And I do dream a lot! My wife says she wants to hear everything I am thinking about but I know she would get pretty sick of me real quick if I actually verbalized all that stuff. I seem to remember every detail of every trail I have been on, and many of the ones haven’t been on yet, recognize all the mountains by sight, can tell you all the details of my first Jeep (a Willys actually, a ’63 3B) from when I was 16, but cannot seem to remember what she told me last night.

Hunting-wise, I started “hunting” with my Dad when I was 14; I still use the same 30.06 Ruger M77 that he bought me that year. Here is the twist though, I put ‘hunting’ in quotes because I finally took my first elk last fall, after all that time. l have always gone just to be outside, and to spend time with Dad. A few years ago I decided to get serious and take something for the table. After four years I got my opportunity. I see lots of elk almost every year, but the shot has to be right, ya know? It all has to come together.

Anyways, I will have a few questions coming up based on last year’s first take, and hope to be able to help some others in the meantime.

Yee-gads I can't believe I put all that out there. Thanks for listening.

Jim

Welcome! Congratulations on your first elk. I've been hunting since 2012 and have yet to harvest a big game animal. This is my year though. I live in Firestone, CO.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Iceman1992
Back