Eagles Nest Wilderness Considerations?

Huntforadventure

Hello All,

I am hunting 1st rifle season this year in CO Units 35,36,361, and have narrowed some spots down to some areas in the Eagles Nest Wilderness.

Having no experience with the Eagles Nest Wilderness, I would be curious to hear peoples experiences there.
Ease of finding suitable campsites?
Water for camp use easy or tough to locate?
Camp Considerations? i.e "don't camp there too many bears" or anything similar
Is it something that gets overcrowded?
Good Streams to fish while there and not finding any elk?

It looks like the hike in is a commitment and would burn a day if it was a complete waste of time.

Any Help would be much appreciated.

Thanks,
Kevin

Kevin -

Hopefully I can help a little but based upon your opening sentence I'm a little confused. The EaglesNest resides mostly in units 36,37, and 371 and since you're referencing the 35, 36, 361 tag, I would assume you'll be hunting the vail pass side of the nest and based upon that information I would say its risky business hunting rifle seasons in this country, especially if you're planning a solo trip into this area. I've been snowed in for 4 days during archery season in September. The weather this time of year is extremely unpredictable so my advise is, BE PREPARED! I've outlined below from your questions what you can expect in the nest

Ease of finding suitable campsites? - There are a couple of government camps along i-70 as well as the blue river campground on Hwy 9 towards Kremmling(but this is in unit 371)
Water for camp use easy or tough to locate? Water shouldn't be an issue this year based upon summer rains and snowfall
Camp Considerations? i.e "don't camp there too many bears" or anything similar - Bears are not an issue in the nest that I've experienced
Is it something that gets overcrowded? This is super close to Denver and the front range, it has well maintained trails and access point, expect to see people
Good Streams to fish while there and not finding any elk? There's great fishing in gore creek, blue river and the eagle

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Leejones
Back