MTNTOUGH - Use promo code RANDY for 30 days free

British Columbia bans Grizzly "Trophy Hunting"

The article said that virtually no one hunts them for food. Is that true, is the meat not palatable?

If there are benefits to keeping hunting open there the way it was, could you make it so hunters not interested in the meat be required to donate the meat?

My favorite part is where they say they are not sure how many bears are being killed as trophies but put the ban in place anyway

Idiocy. Idiocy and plain old pandering to ignorant voters with cuddly bear calendars on their walls who have never set foot in the woods in their life. So frustrating.

This is the start of the end for us here in BC. Hunters in this province are so complacent in fighting anything they have thrown at them it is pathetic. This is a great continuation of this province not following science but pressure from groups, many not even from North America or even BC. It is sad to see emotion based management getting stronger in our great province. I will be writing many letters to our government regarding this and trying to get people involved but the apathy is already apparent from resident hunters on a few sites already. The "I don't hunt grizzlies anyways so it doesn't affect me" attitude is everywhere. People cannot see this is the start of the assault to end hunting in BC. One little thing at a time. One of the largest problems we will face with this is from the fact that many hunters and outfitters are still focused on the allocation battle happening here. This is the time all need to stand together but many won't because all they want to do is argue about the little picture in their head they feel is being taken from them, while they sit at home and bitch to themselves.

What little money we get in this province for wildlife management (which is pathetic) comes from hunting licenses but most of the overall money is put into general revenue. No one else is paying for wildlife except hunters. And we cannot even get the government to dedicate all hunting license revenue to that because no one cares to hold the government to task. I wonder where they think they are going to get the money to manage grizzlies now. I am beyond frustrated right now at all this. If i get some free time i will try and put some more thoughts together on this.

This is one of the best parts of all of this. A quote from the current premier of BC regarding grizzly hunting at the start of the last election. Off of the BCWF website:

Here are the BC New Democrat Party’s answers to questions about the details of their proposed ban submitted by the BCWF to John Horgan, Leader, New Democrat Official Opposition.

QUESTION: Under the new proposed policy would residents of B.C. have opportunity under the LEH system to continue to harvest Grizzly bears?

• Yes. This is not about being opposed to hunting. This is about being opposed to the grizzly bear trophy hunt and only the grizzly bear trophy hunt.

• B.C. hunters will continue to have the opportunity under the LEH system to harvest grizzly bear utilizing the entire bear. We will ensure we use science-based decisions to determine the numbers of LEH tags allowed in various areas. If there aren't enough bears there won’t be a hunt and vice versa.

He states this and then says you have to leave the hide, head and feet in the bush so it can rot. How useful. This should totally stop any illegal harvest right?

Anyways sorry for the rant. I have to go and try to get people to do something about this........

Oh yeah and for the record there is nothing wrong with grizzly meat. Any reference to bad grizzly bear meat comes from bears feeding heavily on rotten fish in the fall or garbage.

Meat hunting for Grizzly Bears? I'd rather hunt something that not only tastes good, but has hooves and is a bit more docile. The bunny huggers/PETA groups are branching off the harp seal pups and going for something that would end the hunting of a particular species. I would bet wolves are next on their hit list north of the border.

You can bet that wolves are next. I have already seen chatter to that effect. Now instead of people paying into the pot for wildlife management, they will need to take money out of general revenue for the purpose. In a grizzly population of >15,000 where only ~250 are taken each year. But it makes David Suzuki happy so I guess it was inevitable :mad:

Take money out of general revenue for wildlife management in BC? Hah! They already take most the revenue from licenses and tags and put it there then spend it on other ministries.

This is the tip of the iceberg here...... they are going to go after everything until its all taken away. Bears first, wolves, sheep, goats, moose,and so on. And the only ones who can stop that is us. BC has enough resident hunters that if they all showed up to vote would drive this province to manage wildlife properly. But we don't...................... Hell in my city when there was a presentation on wildlife management in BC of a city of 75000 people about 45 showed up. Saddest thing ever in a hunting town like this...............

What is the deal with Canadians in general. I remember when the GST was passed. I sat in a bar in Grande Prairie and listened to several locals raise hell about increasing the size of the Canadian Senate to get it passed. If the idea would come up in the States to pack the US Senate by political appointment in order to pass a huge tax increase we would have stormed the gates of Congress. Canadians just seem to roll over and say pass the vasoline. Perhaps its because they are descendants of the folks who didn't revolt in 1776 and moved north. I wish them luck here. GJ

Those same people that are against were the GST that pays for all the social programs were hypocrites. They all use those programs. We actually invest in ourselves a bit, not as much though as our European friends though. We don't need to result to violence to solve all our issues up here.

What is the deal with Canadians in general. I remember when the GST was passed. I sat in a bar in Grande Prairie and listened to several locals raise hell about increasing the size of the Canadian Senate to get it passed. If the idea would come up in the States to pack the US Senate by political appointment in order to pass a huge tax increase we would have stormed the gates of Congress. Canadians just seem to roll over and say pass the vasoline. Perhaps its because they are descendants of the folks who didn't revolt in 1776 and moved north. I wish them luck here. GJ

Meat hunting for Grizzly Bears? I'd rather hunt something that not only tastes good, but has hooves and is a bit more docile. The bunny huggers/PETA groups are branching off the harp seal pups and going for something that would end the hunting of a particular species. I would bet wolves are next on their hit list north of the border.

That is the point. They don't push to ban outright because it would be very difficult. Instead, they propose stuff like leaving the hide and skull on a bear or banning the use of hounds with lions. It is a very sly means to the same end.

. But we don't...................... Hell in my city when there was a presentation on wildlife management in BC of a city of 75000 people about 45 showed up. Saddest thing ever in a hunting town like this...............

That's not good at all, but sadly most hunters won't so anything about it until it's too late.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
winchester 73
Back