Caribou Gear

How do you use your Antelope Meat???

I will never cut up another antelope shoulder after making Hank Shaw's Barbacoa recipe, which calls for braising a whole shoulder. Saves me processing work, and yields some of the most melt in your mouth tastiness that I've ever experienced.

I might corn a nice roast once in a while for a change, but otherwise it's mostly steak and burger for the rest. They are the one animal we don't use at all for sausages or the like.

^^^^Truth.

Also, pronghorn hind quarters are custom made for big roasts to go on the Traeger.

Everyone has made some excellent points, but they forgot what is in my opinion the prime cut if handled right. The tongue. I like to brine mine for 24hrs then simmer it for 2 to get off the outer skin. Apply your favorite seasoning and smoke as low and smokey as you can for 45 minutes or so.

Last edited:
Yeah! I love the tongue. Elk also. This year my brother and I bagged a moose. Unfortunately we forgot to save the tongue. We worked all night quartering, actually 8 pieces, and forgot to care for it. Off my Antelope, I had some trim saved for breakfast, and Italian sausage. The Italian sausage we use in spaghetti and chili. But I do like the steaks and roasts also.

The only piece of meat that we eat is the tenderloins. I make back straps into whole muscle jerky. I usually brine the sirloin roasts and make them into hams. Everything else gets ground up for various sausages. Chorizo and merguez are my favorite use of antelope.

My go to meal for any cubed game meat is red chile, meat and potatoes with a side of tortilla(s).

Being from New Mexico I love red chile....try making a simple red chile sauce (link for recipe here: https://www.newmexico.org/things-to-do/food/recipes/red-chile-sauce/), make some camp potatoes (diced potatoes and diced onions in a 4:1 ratio cooked in olive oil till crispy on the outside, soft on the inside) and then cook the cubed game meat in olive oil with seasonings to taste. Once the meat is browned, toss it in the red chile sauce and simmer for about 30 minutes. Once that is done, mix potatoes/onions, red chile with meat in a bowl and enjoy with some tortillas...one of life's simple pleasures that I could eat every day.

I could not agree more! We also make carne adovada with elk/deer chunks all the time and simply eat them with potatoes and tortillas. If you are fortunate to get some homemade tortillas - look out!

Had antelope steaks this evening, with home grown green beans and corn. Antelope are my favorite, and the best part is no CWD risk on top of being delicious.

For steaks I like to put the KC steak seasoning on before freezing. I buy it in bulk out of Denver. Then I just throw them right on the grill when thawed, no prep needed.
https://www.ebay.com/itm/Kansas-Cit...e=STRK:MEBIDX:IT&_trksid=p2060353.m2749.l2649

This year I tried a new recipe for my burger. I decided to try lard instead of adding bacon, beef fat, etc... The lard is very shelf stable so you do not have to worry about it going bad like fat. I saw it on a you tube video and gave it a try. I also like to add some garlic salt, pepper, and onion powder (bulk containers from Wal Mart)as this gets used on a lot of spaghetti, sloppy joes, hamburger helper, etc... all of which benefits from the extra flavor. So far it has been a hit with the family and I doubt I will go back to bacon or fat. Apparently it may even be healthier than some other fats according to what I read but I am no expert. I had a bad experience with some bulk bacon that I purchased at Ridleys and added to some burger last year. I doubt I will go back as the lard is easy, cheap, and available at most grocery stores in the baking isle.

Next animal will be hamburger patties which will be similar to above but frozen with wax paper between. I also will probably do some jerky with this one.

Then on the next one I am going to do summer sausage. I have a bunch of jalapenos from the garden dehydrating that I want to add and this year I am going to put some mustard seed in it for extra flavor. That company in Denver also sells other spices in bulk.

I am pretty picky when it comes to trimming as I keep the best for the family and all the trim for my animals to eat in single serving baggies, along with all the leg and rib bones which I cut down into 2-3 ribs and freeze.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Leejones
Back