PEAX Equipment

How do you use your Antelope Meat???

AH_14

Was wondering how everyone likes to cut up or process their antelope carcass if they are lucky enough to harvest one.
I like Antelope steak a lot so I always try to cut as much steak as I can.
I also like Antelope Salami a lot so I make some in to PepperJack Cheese Salami.

What is everyone's favorite way to use their harvested Antelope? Wondering if I've long been missing something that is exceptional?

I always make sure to cut up some stew meat from the shoulders. I mix all of my game meat as well as pork I butcher in my burger when I grind. I also do as many steaks as humanly possible and do some cubed steaks in the tougher rear quarter muscles for chicken fried. I also make sure to get the hearts and livers of mine and all of my friends' lopes too.

Chicken Fried is definitely going on my list now----thank you John,
Also, I want to eat the heart of my antelope if I am fortunate to get one this fall, do you like to prepare it the same way Randy shows in his video, just slice it across and salt and pepper and brown it in a pan?
Never done a heart before and I am very willing to try.

Thanks for the input

I sometimes slice the heart into strips with some peppers and onions to make tacos. Sometimes I'll soak it in seasoned milk and then flour it and fry it in bacon grease. I've also cut it into 'nuggets' and beer battered it and deep fried it. But, you can't beat doing it in camp with butter, salt, and pepper when it's fresh.

On just about all my game meat, I take steaks from the backstraps and tenderloins and grind just about everything else into burger. We really go through a lot of burger at my house in tacos, soups, meatloaf, etc.

I never add anything to my meat when I grind. Sometimes when I get it out to cook, I'll add in some pork sausage, ground turkey, or something else to change it up depending on how I'm feeling.

On just about all my game meat, I take steaks from the backstraps and tenderloins and grind just about everything else into burger. We really go through a lot of burger at my house in tacos, soups, meatloaf, etc.

I never add anything to my meat when I grind. Sometimes when I get it out to cook, I'll add in some pork sausage, ground turkey, or something else to change it up depending on how I'm feeling.
Same at our house.

I will never cut up another antelope shoulder after making Hank Shaw's Barbacoa recipe, which calls for braising a whole shoulder. Saves me processing work, and yields some of the most melt in your mouth tastiness that I've ever experienced.

I might corn a nice roast once in a while for a change, but otherwise it's mostly steak and burger for the rest. They are the one animal we don't use at all for sausages or the like.

I grind as little as possible, too time consuming since I usually am processing meat alone. I cut everything into roast sized cuts. If I want steak, I slice it right before marinating or grilling. If, I'm short on time, I throw the roast into the crock pot with some broth and veggies in the morning before work. Shanks get frozen whole or ground. This season I'm keeping the shoulders intact for braising and smoking.

Cut as many thick steaks as possible then the rest for burger.

I cut as much into steaks and grind the rest.

I also love the heart. I fillet it open and grill it like a steak, then thinly slice into strips. Makes great fajitas.

Antelope is one of my favorite wild game meals. Its tender and mild. It is very lean, so you have to treat it accordingly. I cook steaks, ground meat, kabobs, etc... I really don't treat it differently than any good cut of red meat.

The last meal I cooked for a large group was a whole boneless hindquarter rubbed with garlic, rosemary, olive oil, pepper, basil, and left in the fridge for 2 days. Then smoked to rare and served with flatbread, taziki sauce, olives, roasted peppers, etc... It was pretty much cleaned up by a group that aren't used to eating that much game.

Another good recipe for any venison "roasts" is to braise it for tacos, quesadillas, etc...

http://loriesmississippikitchen.com/2011/09/cheesy-venison-soft-tacos-and-crispy-quesadillas.html

Attachments

• 20621977_1927823174132817_4332333490359130440_n.jpg
    20621977_1927823174132817_4332333490359130440_n.jpg
    53.9 KB · Views: 1,607
  • 20621891_1927823180799483_4404339771744997695_n.jpg
    20621891_1927823180799483_4404339771744997695_n.jpg
    62.3 KB · Views: 1,718
  • 20664134_1927823184132816_6636187367663687544_n.jpg
    20664134_1927823184132816_6636187367663687544_n.jpg
    64.3 KB · Views: 1,605
I agree with what Hunting wife said above. If you have not, look up Hank Shaw's stuff. I have tried several of his meals and they do not disappoint in the slightest. I am amazed how good you can make simple cuts of meat taste. I even use the small cubed stuff on Kabobs using some of the marinating techniques he suggests.

I also make as much as I can into steaks and cube the rest to use in chili. The heart is my favorite. Tenderized then dipped in egg and rolled in Italian bread crumbs, fry to perfection.

My go to meal for any cubed game meat is red chile, meat and potatoes with a side of tortilla(s).

Being from New Mexico I love red chile....try making a simple red chile sauce (link for recipe here: https://www.newmexico.org/things-to-do/food/recipes/red-chile-sauce/), make some camp potatoes (diced potatoes and diced onions in a 4:1 ratio cooked in olive oil till crispy on the outside, soft on the inside) and then cook the cubed game meat in olive oil with seasonings to taste. Once the meat is browned, toss it in the red chile sauce and simmer for about 30 minutes. Once that is done, mix potatoes/onions, red chile with meat in a bowl and enjoy with some tortillas...one of life's simple pleasures that I could eat every day.

PM me with questions!

Gastro Gnome - Eat Better Wherever

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Stravic
Back