Random dumb backpack hiking questions from a newbie

Wjesswheel

Newbie hunting wy. 16 blm for pronghorn and have some dumb questions.
A. Parking along the road, how smart is it to leave my rifle hard case ($200) and cooler ($300)locked up in the vehicle if I plan on camping for up to 5 or six days and my extra clothes if it turns off really cold. Should I buy a cheap cooler to keep ice in vehicle, while Iam camping. Get a small storage unit, to store the exspensive stuff.
B. So I set my base camp up and plan on doing some hiking during the day, Is it ok to just leave the tents up and my sleeping/cooking gear/cooler and food in the tents. On blm land.
C. Also appreciate any other tips or ideas that any of you experienced hunters have that a newbie might overlook.
D. Water also concerns me plan on carrying enough out for a couple days. Going to hydrate heavily on the trip out there. Don't think I can carry 5 days worth of water. Some hunters have told me to only get water from running streams. There are some reservoirs where Iam hunting is it a complete Nono to get water from them and use a sawyer squeeze only. Should I boil?, iodine.

Thanks for any tips ahead of time.

A. Never had a problem with my cooler or rifle locked in the car you should be fine.
B. Depends on where you are and where you camp, if you are tucked up somewhere you should be fine I would leave coolers and food in the truck or hung in a tree depending on the bear situation. I would honestly be more worried about animals destroying your stuff then it being stolen. Squirrels can wreck a sleeping bag really quick.
C. You will drink way more water than you think you will, leave extra water in your car in case you need to come back and get some because your water sources were dried up.
D. You can't assume any water any where is safe to drink straight always boil, filter, or use chlorine dioxide (iodine doesn't kill cryptosporidium and giardia as effectively). Filters are going to be your fastest way of getting clean water, you can certainly get water out of reservoirs just know that really dirty water is way harder to purify effectively.

I've never had an issue with property being messed with out west. I think if it looks expensive and is easy to take, it may walk away, but I've never worried about it. The culture is different out west.

If you have a road camp, the easiest way to avoid having it messed with is to keep it tidy. Tents and sleeping bags etc will not invite thieves. Leave gear just laying around and it may walk away. Out of sight, out of mind is a good rule. Only the most brave will enter someones camp at which point, I would say nothing is safe.

If you can find water, it must be filtered. Keep extra water at the truck and carry enough for the day.

A lot of the water in those parts of Wyoming is next to oil and gas pads. I wondered if the water was waste from those operations. If so, I would be very hesitant to drink it, filtered, boiled, or not. I've thought through the same thing and always held off on getting water from those sources for that reason. I'd welcome some insight from those wiser than me.

If I was hunting anywhere near OG operations I would be packing in my water... 10 years in the industry has left me more than a bit distrustful, this is just a personal opinion no first hand bad experience in WY. For a 5 day solo hunt I would bring at least 10 gallons of water in the truck in a jug with a fast pour spout, then I would get a MSR dromedary for packing water in if I was backpack hunting. 5 liters per day per person is what I shoot for if it's hot and dry and you are doing lots of hiking, this includes water for cooking.

Also watch Randy's video about meat care withe regard to coolers.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ipY8upsp4qI&index=12&list=PLLdxutimd-JtfOEoMom8svFZy_ccrtN2S

If you think you're going to be leaving anything that might look "attractive" to a thief visible in your vehicle, or it's so full of stuff the likelihood of having something of value in there seems plausible, you might want to give a call to the Ranger Station or area BLM office to inquire about vehicle break in's. Down here in Southern Colorado, several trailheads have posted warning signs about vehicles being broken into at trailheads. Let's face it, if a car burglar pulls into a parking lot at 10pm, what's the odds of someone interrupting a car break in then? I know I've worried a bit about it, and don't leave much of value in my truck

Ollin Magnetic Digiscoping Systems

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mfrosty6
Back