2018 Wyo Antelope Unit Selection

Bagel_7

Alright guys, I have another questions for you. I won a guided hunt this year in unit 29, which got me thinking about planning a big family trip to hunt antelope next year in Wyoming. I am attempting to select an area for the hunt to take place and as of now I have never been to Wyoming. Right now I have anyone interested in going buying a preference point for next year. The map below shows all units in the state (from my research) with 100% draw odds for 2016 with 1 preference point (the highlighted units). So I will narrow my search to these units so we can make the trip in 2018.

Also this may serve as a guide/reference for other hunters wanting to make their first Wyoming trip but they're lacking information.

rn4sSWxl.jpg

Next from my research I checked all the highlighted units for private land % & harvest rates.

hGhJjJu.jpg

Obviously the higher the private land % the worse the units is for huntability, and based on some of the units harvest rates I would eliminate them immediately.

What I am looking for is who has first hand experience in these units. How is it accessing the public hunting land? What kind of terrain am I looking at (there will likely be wives wanting to hunt who may not do so well hiking in elevation)?

I DON"T WANT your honeyholes, just advice so that when I take my family out there next year I can show them all a good time and at the very least get them on groups of antelope with opportunities to take home some good meat.

Just remember....just because a Unit might have a "fair" amount of public land it might not have public access.

Just remember....just because a Unit might have a "fair" amount of public land it might not have public access.

This. Need to check for walk-in areas or a public road that touches the public land in order to access the land. You're on the right track- I've only hunted one of the highlighted areas (16), as a leftover tag and had a fun hunt but had to walk, a lot to get an antelope.

Yeah I figured the huntable land may not be accessible. Does anyone have a place to verify this? I just got OnX maps for CA but don't wanna blow the extra cash now for it. However when I make the trip I will for sure have the Wyoming state on my phone.

Don't overlook the units with difficult access. Many will have HMAs or walk in areas and limited public.
License fee increase next year so odds may change a bit. I'm thinking some areas will open up to 1 PP in the special draw with the price increase.

I can't help but topgun in 5-4-3,,,,

If you can't help the guy, then why even post with your wisecracks about people that you don't even have a clue about?!!! That seems to be about all you do on here trying to ruin the site with your BS!

I agree you're on the right track. I'm in the same boat, planning a trip for next year. One thing I would say to determine for yourself is how much are you willing to hike and are you willing to camp out in the backcountry? From my studying, the more you're willing to hike, the better your odds, regardless of what unit you draw. You might also consider putting in for some doe tags in a different unit, depending on how long your trip is. W

Bts09 our plan is to set up a big camp and have the families together. Hiking shouldn't be an issue if the landscape isn't full of hills. All the men are avid mule deer hunters, but I know my wife struggled going up one hill after a hog on her first hunt this year.
Also I may try to get a doe tag as well to try and bring home more meat.

Don't overlook the units with difficult access. Many will have HMAs or walk in areas and limited public.
License fee increase next year so odds may change a bit. I'm thinking some areas will open up to 1 PP in the special draw with the price increase.
Pay attention to this post and look at the HMAs and WIAs available for some low public land units. In some units, access is easy through these programs. If the odds hold for next year, I plan on being in a "limited" access unit again to shoot 3 pronghorns.

The 2017 draw odds are on the WYGF website. You might want to update your map because it seems there was a good bit of point creep last year. The special draw will add more choices for the extra $. As far as ONx, wait until after hunting season to buy your Wyoming map. The map is good for a year, so it will take you through next hunting season, and since applications are due until the end of may, it will give you plenty of time to plan your application.

I bet with the $112 price increase next year for the special tag your draw odds are going to be a lot better in the special compared to the year before. Not quite sure I'd want to pay $614 for an antelope even tho they're delicious and a blast to hunt!

Narrow it down to a half dozen units and call the biologist next spring to see how the herds are doing. That info is important as a hard winter can destroy an area's pronghorn. For instance, we hunted 18 several years ago after a bad winter and hardly saw an antelope, the herd still hasn't fully recovered in that area.

One thing I would say to determine for yourself is how much are you willing to hike and are you willing to camp out in the backcountry? From my studying, the more you're willing to hike, the better your odds, regardless of what unit you draw.

Being willing to walk is always helpful but for antelope, there are usually a lot of trails that allow guys to drive everywhere. Yes there are spots where you can get away from the road a little bit but for the most part, not more than a mile or 2.

Thanks guys keep it coming. Question: What is a WIA and HMA? isu22andy please let me know. I'll have the run down in 29 sort of, I'll be hunting a private ranch so I don't know how much Intel I'll get on that unit. Flatrock I don't think walking will be an issue we've all come from a mule deer back ground and are used to long hikes.

WIA-Walk In Area HMA-Hunter Management Area. I drive out from Jersey and hunt WIA's, HMA's & public land and have a great time every time.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mfrosty6
Back