Sitka Gear Turkey Tool Belt

Libby, MT Butcher??

Goosebrooke

I've got the combo tag and headed to Libby, MT. I'm having trouble locating a butcher/game processor/taxidermist in the Libby area. I would hate to be caught on a hot day scrambling to break down an animal or missing more opportunities to enjoy the big country. Any recommendations would be appreciated. Thanks,

Contact Gerry Mercer at Mercer Custom Taxidermy. He lives in Libby MT and he can help.
406-293-6041

wildlife recapture does amazing work and may be booked a ways out..they do the eastmans stuff.

I used Dumont taxidermy and he did an amazing job on my deer.

Id pack lots of coolers and pack meat on ice or find someone to put in a freezer.No way anyone is processing my meat other than me.

Thanks for the input; I'll add "locating elk" to the list of things to do. 90% of the meat would be left with a relative in the area. He is putting me up and pointing me in good directions. I don't want to burden him with dealing with quarters of the animal, especially if something tipped over on the last day.

I didn't end up closing the deal on an elk though I was slowly figuring out where they were hanging. The smoke from the fires and thick cover ruled out glassing. The heat and dried up wallows made those sits not so productive. I did end up shooting a whitetail in a creek bottom on my last day. That made it easy enough to cut, freeze and throw in my sleeping bag for the flight home. Also Wildlife Recapture got themselves in a bit of trouble and probably not doing much work in the future.

Did you see any moose on your hunt ? I was one of the lucky ones who drew
a moose tag and am headdd toward Libby later this month in search of a bull.

I did not see any moose, but my uncle who lives in one of those drainages and finds moose sheds all the time on this one trail. I'm not sure how concrete your plans are, but I could point you in a good direction and fwd on the contact information of two biologists for that area. I met the one biologist at the Libby airport while they were getting ready to count goats. She was very nice and interested in helping, and I'm sure they would help you as well. Congrats on the moose tag. Hopefully you didn't wait to long to draw.

I would very grateful for any information you may have. Being a once
in a lifetime tag I don't want to leave any stone unturned. Best way to
reach me is an email. [email protected].
Thanks a bunch, Tony

If I was you I'd try to get a hold of a FWP Biologist they may be able to point you in the right direction.
The D-I-L had a tag there 2 years ago. it took 5 trips up there to find one. It's a 7 hour drive one way from here. Her and My boy would spend 3 days hunting and two days driving. The wolf have every thing but cleared all the moose and elk out...
Don't know what area you have but up by Yaak seamed to have the most moose sigh and where she got her moose.
Good luck , Make sure you have a wolf and a bear tag

Tony, I just emailed you some information including the biologists contact information. As far as wolves, I have seen some old tracks, and even some old illegal baiting spots (cabled femur hanging about shoulder height). I think for you, a wolf would be an opportunistic hunt. I never heard or seen wolves when I was out camping and hunting there in the first week of September. So I bet you'd be fine.

Ollin Magnetic Digiscoping Systems

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dalton14rocks
Back