MTNTOUGH - Use promo code RANDY for 30 days free

Fishing around Walden CO

AvidIndoorsman

Any hunttalkers out there ever fished around Walden, CO I'm trying to get my father-n-law out there for a trip and I was wondering if anyone had first hand experience in the area.

Upper N Platte River (north of Walden/S WY), Delaney Buttes lakes, Lake John, N Michigan Reservoir and Michigan Creek. Upper Poudre River/ Cameron Pass area and Joe Wright Creek. I think Joe Wright Reseevoir has grayling and is right along Hwy. 14.

Fished the N. Platte between Cowdrey and the WY line with mixed success. Delaney Buttes is OK for a small boat or from the bank. Wind is often a factor so I mostly fished the West side of the largest lake when windy. Used to be some nice browns in that lake if I recall; it has been a number of years ago.

Haven't fished near Walden, but fished the Yampa over in Steamboat, lots of bruisers swimming in there if you can manage to dodge the tubes. But on the same token, lots of good scenery on the tubes!

Take him up to Saratoga Wy and get a float trip down the Platte, fishing is great. Also great fishing at High Savery Res. tiger trout there.
Much less pressure in Wyoming. You could drive over at Fox Park on 230 and turn at Woods Landing to hit the river access there, again less pressure.

Take him up to Saratoga Wy and get a float trip down the Platte, fishing is great. Also great fishing at High Savery Res. tiger trout there.
Much less pressure in Wyoming. You could drive over at Fox Park on 230 and turn at Woods Landing to hit the river access there, again less pressure.

I think that's the first time I've ever heard someone from WY telling a Coloradoan to go fishing in WY instead of CO. Although the upper Platte near Saratoga is one of my favorite rivers. And High Savery is a unique fishery with a variety of trout below the dam. Big Creek is another good one to try on the WY side of the line.

Thanks for the help fellas I'm going to dive back into my maps. Vanish we are looking at doing some river fishing hopefully with a boat cause his knees are kinda shot.

Fished Lake John, Delaney Buttes, and Joe Wright a decent bit this past year. All has some good fishing. The grayling are a lot of fun at Joe Wright. The river was good at times and not so much in others for me.

Only fished creeks around Big Creek Lake area when we were elk hunting. Plenty of frying pan size dinners during those trips.

Saw some moose around too.

Anybody fished Michigan river or the Illinois north of Walden? Can you wade that river or float it?

Vanish we are looking at doing some river fishing hopefully with a boat cause his knees are kinda shot.

You're definitely in the wrong area for that. About the only float in North Park is the Platte River Wilderness which starts north of Walden and ends in Wyoming.

Saratoga for that float trip. More than one outfitter up there for fishing trips. You can get him a half day trip if wanted.

And yes hard to believe that I told a greenie to come up and fish. Some of you all are great folks, lol.

Anybody fished Michigan river or the Illinois north of Walden? Can you wade that river or float it?
The Michigan and Illinois are small streams- great fishing, but not big enough to float.
The North Platte in WY is your best bet for a float/fish trip on a river. See Saratoga for outfitters- Hack's Tackle is still in business I think. Not certain what ever happened with Great Rocky Mountain Outfitters after Shiloh bought it. Or there might be an outfitter in Walden.

Saratoga for that float trip. More than one outfitter up there for fishing trips. You can get him a half day trip if wanted.

And yes hard to believe that I told a greenie to come up and fish. Some of you all are great folks, lol.

wytex- just kidding about the Greenie thing. I was the Greenie from N. CO always going to S. WY for the fishing. I was still the Greenie when I lived in Saratoga too :)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tmich05
Back