Colorado Unit 61 Deer-

Blacktailbc

Hey Gents,
Well, I lucked into a 61 2nd season deer tag on the leftover/returned tag list. I know a little bit about the area, and have hunted Colorado a bunch, but I have never set foot in the unit. Needless to say, I didn't expect the tag. I would like to talk to some guys who have had the tag in the past. I know it can be tough , especially if it is hot out. I have some ideas of where to start, but I would like to reaffirm what I'm thinking.
Thanks.

I have 20pts and was wanting to apply for elk unit 61 next year... Glad I seen this episode.. May have to explore another option

How's it go'in.

I'm in the same boat. I drew a 3rd season deer tag, never been to unit 61.
I plan to bow hunt elk in unit 62 in late Sept. and do a little scouting for deer in 61.
I'll let you know what I learn.

Good luck, Jay.

Hey Gents,
Well, I lucked into a 61 2nd season deer tag on the leftover/returned tag list.

I saw when that tag hit the list. I had picked up a unit 40 buck tag shortly before that so I couldn't go for the 61 tag. 61 holds some big deer for sure but it's really tough to give you an idea of where they'll be as it's almost entirely weather dependent. Hunting that second season can be a crapshoot in Colorado because if it's hot they'll be closer to their summer range, and if you get some weather they'll start moving to their winter range. Usually, at least. Are you familiar with the Colorado hunting atlas? If you are then go on there and look at the summer and winter ranges for that unit and in general I would pick a few places in the summer range and a few places in the winter range that interest you. Then try to hunt the summer range when you get there.

Hope that helps, or perhaps you're way ahead of that advice already. Hard to know sometimes how familiar others are with Colorado's website. Either way, you should have a good hunt. 61 isn't all that pressured compared to most other units in Colorado. Go find you a big one! October 21st can't come soon enough.

Back