Leupold BX-4 Rangefinding Binoculars

Planning First Western Hunt

RN Flatlander

I have been looking at doing a western rifle hunt with my cousin for a couple years now. Being from IL and both of us being the only hunters in our family, we are pretty pumped for a true DIY western hunt, with the plan to do it next year. I will be doing the hunting while he comes with me to help with the hunt, with the plan of me doing the same for him down the road. I am the more experienced hunter while he is the more experienced backpacker, so we should be good between the two of us. I was originally looking at a mule deer hunt in Idaho but that will take about 24 hours to drive for us so I'm wanting advice on other states for closer options, and I'd even be open to hunting antelope if that is easier to get a tag for. My cousin is a teacher and he only gets around 5 days off during the school year, which takes him 2 years to accumulate, so time is limited, and we want to spend more time hunting and camping and less time driving. We want it to be a true western hunt on public land where we can hike in and hunt and camp for multiple days. Any advice to do for future hunts would be awesome also, such as try and just get points in some states, because we hope to use this hunt as a starting point. I'm not trying to get anyones hunting spot, I am just going cross eyed looking at so many different websites to try and find advice for DIY western hunts. I started following this site this year and everyone is super helpful, and I have learned a ton. Once I go on my first western hunt and I learn more then I will contribute to it as much as I can. Thanks in advance for any info.

You can buy preference points right now for Wyoming, and I would do so if I were in your shoes. You're too late to get a point for Colorado for this year, but could start there next spring. Those 2 states provide the most bang for your buck regarding points, IMO. You might also consider buying a Montana general combo preference point.

If you begin now, you'll have your current OTC options in Idaho and elsewhere plus several hunts in each state I mentioned that you could draw.

If you were to buy points now in Wyoming there will be plenty of units you could draw for deer or antelope next fall, you could do like we are this year and draw a buck deer tag and a antelope doe tag.

Buy points in Wyoming now and both of you can antelope hunt next year. Also look into late season cow elk hunts.

In Wyoming do you have to be with a Wyoming resident if you are a nonresident? I thought I have seen that. If that's the case, that eliminates Wyoming. After watching some videos by Randy Newberg today, I am starting to get a better understanding of how to draw tags, and Montana is sounding like the best option if I'm looking at deer or antelope. Focusing on southeast Montana, which would shave off at least 5 hours of drive time. Opinions or suggestions on this?

You only have to hunt accompanied by a guide or a resident to hunt wilderness areas in Wyoming.
Eastern Wyoming has lots of antelope areas to hunt with only one or even no points. Eastern deer tags can be had with one deer point also, but research your choices well. Check the demand report for the species you want to hunt to see how many points you may need to likely draw. Then check the Game and Fish website on the hunt planner to see where the units are located and how much public land the unit has.
If drive time is super concern, I would look at north central Wyoming around the Bighorn Mountains and closer East around Buffalo.
Do some looking and then compare to other states.

I think you will find Wyoming hard to beat for draw ability, quality, and animal numbers.

Better buy a deer preference point at least for Wyoming this summer.

I was talking about non resident in wyoming. You can pm me if what I described is something your interested in, I could give you the details we drew deer and antelope two years in a row with less than one point a piece.

That makes a lot more sense about nonresident hunting in Wyoming. I was wondering how so many nonresidents were talking about hunting there. Wyoming is back in the lead. The opportunities there seem too good to pass up. One more big question. If I put in for a deer and antelope tag like nick87, and I draw both, do I have to take both tags or can I just take one of them. So can I do what probably nobody would want to do and turn down a tag. :( For cost reasons I would only want one tag.

That makes a lot more sense about nonresident hunting in Wyoming. I was wondering how so many nonresidents were talking about hunting there. Wyoming is back in the lead. The opportunities there seem too good to pass up. One more big question. If I put in for a deer and antelope tag like nick87, and I draw both, do I have to take both tags or can I just take one of them. So can I do what probably nobody would want to do and turn down a tag. :( For cost reasons I would only want one tag.

If you draw 'em you keep 'em in Wyoming.

As far as cost goes the antelope tag is a doe tag, I believe it's $48, in the scheme of things that's nothing. Doe antelope are pretty much a slam dunk, this way I figure if you eat the deer tag you still get to notch a tag and bring back some meat very inexpensively.

Or if your really on a budget on this hunt get two doe tags. It will get your feet wet and your pretty much guaranteed to fill your tags. At that cost both you and your cousin could hunt instead of switching off.

The only reason to drive is if you are hunting elk or anything bigger. You can fly and rent a truck or SUV cheaper than driving that far. You can buy your tickets and reserve your car as soon as you draw a tag. Booking that far in advance can save you a ton. Let me know if you have any questions on this.

Go on a spring bear hunt, seasons sometimes run into June. That way the school teacher would be off.

The only reason to drive is if you are hunting elk or anything bigger. You can fly and rent a truck or SUV cheaper than driving that far. You can buy your tickets and reserve your car as soon as you draw a tag. Booking that far in advance can save you a ton. Let me know if you have any questions on this.

Not knocking on you Redman, but I've done both and it's always been cheaper to drive. If you get 20 mpg on the highway, which even most trucks are doing now, you'll burn 200 gallons of fuel on a 4k mile trip. At $3 a gallon, that's $600. Split 2 ways, $300 apiece.

It would be tough to get a round trip flight for that price, not to mention luggage, your car rental, fuel for that car, and getting meat back home.

If you drive, you can bring your big tent, camp chairs, cots, food from home, etc. If I can get there in 2 days or less, I'll drive every time.

All that said, it is nice to hop on a plane and count your travel time in hours instead of days..

Depending on when you are hunting whether or a year out or more, I'd search for cheap flights now before your hunt and rent a SUV. Just travel around, get a visual of the country, area, and map out some places to do some day hikes. Drive some back roads. If you can do it during hunting season too, a year prior. Same thing, just gives you a visual of where other hunters concentrate. That might give you a good idea of how to hunt around them. But also make it so you don't show up and there is several hunters camped/parked in your area.

Another idea, if you are able to hunt a longer time frame than your friend. You could drive out before him, get an idea of the area also. Do some solo hunting. He flies in, and you both drive back together after that week long hunt. If you were to do this, depending on how long you would be here hunting solo, he should try for a tag also, in case you had opportunity prior to his arrival.

Not knocking on you Redman, but I've done both and it's always been cheaper to drive. If you get 20 mpg on the highway, which even most trucks are doing now, you'll burn 200 gallons of fuel on a 4k mile trip. At $3 a gallon, that's $600. Split 2 ways, $300 apiece.

It would be tough to get a round trip flight for that price, not to mention luggage, your car rental, fuel for that car, and getting meat back home.

If you drive, you can bring your big tent, camp chairs, cots, food from home, etc. If I can get there in 2 days or less, I'll drive every time.

All that said, it is nice to hop on a plane and count your travel time in hours instead of days..

Agree with you 100% LCH! I have no idea how you could do what he mentioned cheaper than driving. I haven't been on a plane since I was in the service back between 68 and 71 and don't plan on being on one any time soon!

Illinois isn't that far from Wyoming.
In my opinion I would rather take a ship, train , or hand glider than fly in today's world. Would not be worth the cost or trouble unless time is super tight and even then you would need to rent a vehicle or have an outfitter for transportation on arrival. That moves the expenses into a fairly higher bracket.

No offense taken. Like I said with any animal smaller than an elk you can do it cheaper. I know I have done it several times. Last year I got a round trip flight for $175! We booked it 3-4 months in advance. With antelope you can put all your meet in a carry on. I shipped all my gear back home so there was no extra baggage charges. I back pack hunt so I don't need all the heavy luxury items. Also when figuring vehicle cost remember to add in wear and tear. I rent a truck when I head out for elk vs putting the miles on my own, and if I have a breakdown not one dime comes out of my pocket.

Caribou Gear

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
winchester 73
Back