Is the trout fishing at L Almanor Dying?

uncle sage

Hi Guys! in the spring of 1984, i made the biggest and most impacting move of my life. Besides a rental house i was making payment on with a $100. negative cash flow, i cashed in or sold everything i owned but what fit nicely in my 76' Chevy shortbed 4x4 and it's 6-pack cabover camper, and flat moved north a couple hundred miles into God's Country and the home of great trout fishing. I wasn't new to the area by a long shot but i was new to the very tight knit community that lived in my target city of Chester Ca. i took a 1 year leave of absence from my employer back home but i wanted to "make it" up there so i did whatever i could to make ends meet, worked hard as there was no soft work to be had in those mountains. I worked at something or for someone near every day and those others were spent building a firewood business. It can be said that i paid my dues. Still through i might have been dog tired after work, i'd for sure be somewhere as planned in the evenings, where something truly special just might happen.

Not that i had it so bad below, it was a good move to get out of the East Bay Area, Livermore, and move up to Plumas and Lassen Co's. I fit in with the folks there after a time, my word has been and still is good here, been on just about all the waters that i know of, countless sessions where it was one big fish after another, all kinds of different ways, times of the year, different tackle, a lot of selective bank fishing, tiny spring creeks, secret spots,... I just LOVE to fish and i've had a lifetime of it right near here. I was Home, i wouldn't be going back, never will.

To get to the point. i don't believe Lake Almanor itself can support a great fishery if the Dept of Wildlife continues to stock fewer fish. Maybe it's us but we're already not catching the fish we were even 3-4 years ago. Am i off here? Are you still finding great trout fishing and i'm just not hearing about it? The Fishing Association still are doing their cage raised trout. I don't believe that's enough? Comments?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
winchester 73
Back