MTNTOUGH - Use promo code RANDY for 30 days free

Finicky Tikka

Keep looking. Finally found a load that shoots at an inch consistently in my .308. Pretty happy about it.

Swap the scope with one you know is good. That will either confirm or eliminate the scope issue. If the scope is okay then move on to the bedding issue. Work on that and if that doesn't fix the issue I would send it back to Tikka.

I just got a t3 lite in .270, and of all things, it shoots cheap Remington core-lokt psp 130 the best. I also have the Leupold VX3i, medium Talley one piece rings ... BUT...

I will say that the first shot is always dead bullseye! the second shot usually shares the same hole, then the 3rd typically is off by an inch or so... but that could be me, as I am no expert shooter.

It's gotta be a mechanical issue. I'd check the action screws, bases, rings, stock flexing and touching barrel and the crown. If those all check out, I'd call tikka and send it back, maybe you just got a lemon, it happens to every manufacturer.

I would look for something moving like lose rings lose action screw something just not seated properly. Those factory stocks dont seem like the best out but it would surprise me if it was the gun (just a lemon). I have had this issue before with a Remington 270 and my scope rail screw was lose just barely cold feel it wiggle but it was enough to throw 6" groups from a sub MOA gun.

Odd, maybe it is American Whitetails in my gun causing it to throw bullets, (thats what I sighted in with and have been using). At 100 yards I can get 2-3 probably in a one inch group , its 2-300 yards where it really starts throwing them if the gun is hot - like after 3 shots, itll throw it off a 12 inch target at 300 yards. Come to think of it, Ive really never had a good group at 300 with them .

Well, all my other rifles shoot those American Whitetail very well. I don't take shots in the field longer tha 300yds, but they do great out to there. Its only my Tikka .308 that doesn't like them. Just one of those weird deals I guess.

my friends 7mm rem mag in a t3x lite was super fussy about what it shoot, almost gave up on it. It only shoot 162 hornday ELDX bullets hand loaded. I loaded many many loads to find this one load that it shoots

I'm having a gunsmith check everything. I'll see what he comes up with. Shooting my 280 and 6.5 Swede now without compliant. They are both a little heavier than the Tikka though.
HD

first thing i would do is contact Tikka and see what they consider an acceptable grouping to be at 100yds.( most people don't know to do this, i venture most would be shocked by what they might find out), then check the action screws and bedding, after that check the rings and scope. Also find out what the twist rate of the barrel is, some bullets work better in certain twist rates. did you do a proper barrel break in?good luck.

I traded for a Tikka T3x lite in 270 win several months ago. I bought a YoDave trigger spring to get the trigger down to 1.5 lbs. Put a new recoil pad on it. Used a dremel tool to free float the barrel. Put a muzzle break on it. (Kicked like a Mule). After all of this, I did an OCW test w/ 130 Sierra Game kings and SST's. Both went just over 1/2 MOA. Hope this helps. Good Luck!!

Just bought some winchester Silver ballistic tips, see if they group tighter than the Hornadys.

HSM ammos is tops in my experience. Fed Fusion, is a close second. (In general, all rifles I have shot.)

lots of ppl say factory tikka rings are crap. Talley is what most ppl go with I have some talley rings they are solid. about 50 bucks.

Update to this old thread and problem. The gunsmith said the Tikka was sound and the bore looked good. I had him remove the barrel cradle Tikka places just distal to the chamber. I did not shoot the rifle again til yesterday. After a fowling shot with 130 gr blue box Federals the group came home to .75 “ for five shots, 3 about a minute apart and two about 30 min later. I then shot a similar group and same POI with the 143 gr Hornady eldx bullets only 3 shots though. So I have my fingers crossed that problem solved and a Tikka shooting like a Tikka.
I assume the barrel was getting some pressure or slap from the cradle.
HD

Last edited:
I recently made some reloads for a friend's Tikka T3x Superlite in .270. It had been shooting factory loads just so-so. Tried some Barnes tsx 140 and ttsx 130s. Using IMR 4831, both of those are shooting sub moa.

Ollin Magnetic Digiscoping Systems

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tmich05
Back