Yeti GOBOX Collection

Savage axis replacement stock?

mrklean

Can you get better stocks for the savage axis, reading reviews on the axis that was one down side is the stock is garbage.

Saw the Axis advertised locally for 250 bucks after rebate. Still didn't bite. As far as stocks, I doubt there is a replacement as the stock would probably cost way more than the rifle. I remember seeing some info about strengthening a Ruger American stock. Might be something to look at doing to the Axis. mtmuley

Boyd's offers some decent wood stocks. Have bought a few in the last couple years. They range from $90 to $300 depending on options you choose.

If you are getting one in .223 like I have try it with the factory stock before you swap. I don't particularly enjoy the cheap feel but that sucker drives tacks

I have 2 non accutrigger Axis rifles and they are flat out shooters. It's kind of a trade off the way I look at it. You get an entry priced rifle that shoots well, but it might not have the best stock. What's really important to you? My .308 is a back up and friend's to use rifle and my 25-06 is my main antelope rifle. I don't mind a 'cheap' feeling stock to get a tackdriver for a good price.

Put a Boyd's thumbhole on my Axis 6.5 CM. Very nice stock. Took a few minutes to ream the barrel channel & take just a touch out of the mag box. Well worth the $150 shipped to me.2017-04-17 14.17.29.jpg

I don't have an Axis, but purchased two Boyd's stocks for Marlin rifles.
Had some minor barrel channel reaming on one and the other fit like it grew on there perfectly.
The Marlins had issues with the factory stock shifting and contacting the barrel, causing accuracy trouble.
After the $135.00 Boyd stock upgrade they are both tack driving machine's.
I have the prairie hunter stocks.

I don't have anything to compare my axis to, but what benefit do you have by changing the stock? Just getting rid of the cheap feel?

Thats what im looking to get is the 6.5 how do you like it?
I love it. Very easy to load for & tight groups even with the sporter barrel. Once that's shot out I'll go with a Criterion Heavy Varmint barrel. Gun ran me $310at Sportsman's & SWFA 20x scope was $300. Good combo. I have it set to go for Nevada muleys.

BW

I don't have anything to compare my axis to, but what benefit do you have by changing the stock? Just getting rid of the cheap feel?

Yes cheap feel but mostly the barrel is not floated & it's a pain to deal with the webbing in the oem stock.

BW

+1 for boyds. Also, clip one or two loops off the trigger spring, $15 of spay paint (fusion base camo of your choosing overcoat of marbleizing spray) over factory plastic stock, and a few minutes with a dowel wrapped in sandpaper to ensure "float", and you have an amazingly functional, and not entirely ugly $200 gun if you find the right deal. I too use one as a "buddy" gun.

Boyds and Sharp Shooter Supply (SSS) are the only two companies I know of right now making replacement stocks for the Savage Axis, and both are in laminate. Boyds offers the traditional hunting stocks (Prairie Hunter, Heritage and Classic), as well as their Pro Varmint which is more tactical/varmint oriented for heavy barrel rifles. SSS offers benchrest stocks, a tactical style stock, and a kind of in-between hunting/varmint style stock in their Pro-Hunter. I have used the Boyds Heritage and Prairie Hunter as well as the SSS Pro-Hunter and I much prefer the Boyds stocks for a general hunting rifle.

Here's the Boyds Heritage pattern on my Axis .223 that they made up for me earlier this year with my site's logo on it.
DSC01248.jpg

Here's the SSS Pro-Hunter on my Axis in .284 Winchester.
DSC00837.jpg

The only thing I didn't like about the axis is the triggers seemed like forever for it to break

I REALLY dislike the magazine for the axis. I also don't like how the bolt is positioned, clearance being an issue on scopes. Every one I have shot has been accurate though.

I put a Boyd's on an axis 270 and I'm glad I did, the original stock besides being flimsy was loud while carrying through the brush and awkwardly balanced when shooting while standing. The rifle now feels more balanced and doesn't seem to kick so much

This may be an old post, but I am also thinking of getting a new stock for my axis in .204. Mainly just because I want a new gun, but can't get myself to buy a new gun because I love this gun so much. I bought it when I was in college when money was tight because I didn't own a rifle and was tired on missing out on coyotes that would hang out right out side shotgun range. I figured I was easily getting them within 150 yards so I didn't need a super accurate long range gun. I am so comfortable with the gun now that I can confidently kill coyotes and grey fox out to 250 yards. So if you are worried about the cheap stock, don't. It's a great gun!!!!! But I am looking into replacing the stock mainly for looks and I'm sure it will also help with accuracy. I looked at boyd as suggested on this post, and now my mind is going crazy. So many options. Now I just have to explain to the Mrs. that one bobcat will pay for a new stock haha.

This may be an old post, but I am also thinking of getting a new stock for my axis in .204. Mainly just because I want a new gun, but can't get myself to buy a new gun because I love this gun so much. I bought it when I was in college when money was tight because I didn't own a rifle and was tired on missing out on coyotes that would hang out right out side shotgun range. I figured I was easily getting them within 150 yards so I didn't need a super accurate long range gun. I am so comfortable with the gun now that I can confidently kill coyotes and grey fox out to 250 yards. So if you are worried about the cheap stock, don't. It's a great gun!!!!! But I am looking into replacing the stock mainly for looks and I'm sure it will also help with accuracy. I looked at boyd as suggested on this post, and now my mind is going crazy. So many options. Now I just have to explain to the Mrs. that one bobcat will pay for a new stock haha.
If you’re not afraid of a bit of work for fitting, keep an eye out on the discount page. Sometimes just the right stock comes up at a good sale price. Not an axis, but for my Stevens 200 (Savage 110) I was looking out for a right hand action, left hand stock, and popped in one as soon as I found it. I think I paid about 60% of what I would cost if I built it from their options. Must have been a return as it had one little scratch/dent on the comb. It’s a rifle that is going to hunt, so I wasn’t too worried about a little scratch.

Attachments

• 563B0CFB-ED65-402C-AA52-BDEC28B22226.jpeg
    563B0CFB-ED65-402C-AA52-BDEC28B22226.jpeg
    888.4 KB · Views: 10

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
clamwc
Back