MTNTOUGH - Use promo code RANDY for 30 days free

Razor HD vs. Conquest HD

ida homer

Hopefully someone can find this review useful, as it took me about a month and a million reviews to decide between the two. I decided to take both pairs on 2 scouting trips to compare them side by side before I made a purchase.

Razor HD 10x42: Smaller, lighter, a slightly more stiff center focus knob and easy to attach the vortex tripod adaptor to. The warranty is also better than Zeiss's, and similar to that of Swarovski.The warranty is the best, I do have personal experience with their warranty department for a set of their cheap binos (my fault). They were very pleasant and quick to work with. The right eye piece focus locks in place, which is handy.

Conquest HD 10x42: Slightly better feel in the hands, but heavier and kind of bulky. That disappointed me a bit actually. For bowhunting, they aren't that great to sport around or operate with one hand. However, similar to a heavier rifle, the extra weight makes it a little easier to steady them when using with two hands, with elbows on your knees or resting them on a trekking pole/tripod. The focus wheel is WAY too light (which could have just been my pair), every time you put them away and pull them back out (especially if you have an enclosed harness), the middle focus wheel is all the way turned to one end or the other. At which point you have to entirely refocus. It's not convenient, as in a hunting situation when your buddy spots a buck, you will be refocusing your binos. The warranty is decent, 5 years. I have heard they are an okay company to deal with if you have to use that warranty, but I can't personally comment on them.

Clarity: To me, there was not enough of a difference in overall glass clarity to make a call. Edge to edge clarity, very very slight nod to the Conquests. If you compare the 2 for yourself side by side, your decision won't be made on glass clarity. It's too close to call. Overall, both are very clear and I spotted a few different bedded critters that I'm not sure I would have seen with my old binos. Either pair on a tripod are a treat to glass with, I could sit there for hours.

Brightness: Razor HD's, not sure why, but they were ever so slightly brighter in the last 10 minutes of glassing light.

Decision: I went with the Razors, despite being able to get the Conquests for $200 less. To me it was a no brainer that was based around the razors being lighter, smaller, better warranty and having better focus knobs. Now I will say, if you can afford swaros, buy those. They are the best and I have used SLC's and EL's side by side with Razor HD's on the mountain. The Razor HD's are 95% of Swarovski glass, but for 40% of the price. Keep your eyes open, as I got mine for $875 to my door.

I just spent some time on the mtn looking through the Conquest HD 15x56 and the SLC HD 15x56s.

I was super unimpressed with the conquests.

The nicest Bino's I've ever looked through was a pair of 12x50 EL Swarovisions.

They give me the "rollerball" or "globe" effect when panning and makes me sick to look through them. So I'm stuck with the SLCs. I have the latest models of 10x42s and 15x56. I get excited every time I get to sit down and throw them on tripods. It's not just the clarity.

It's also the eye relief and just overall lack of eye fatigue. I can look through them all day.

Vortex may have a better warranty in writing, but Zeiss will not be any different in reality. They have always taken care of me and people I know that use Zeiss optics without even asking when or where I bought their optics. Just my 0.015

Leupold BX-4 Rangefinding Binoculars

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jack the bear
Back