PEAX Equipment

CO Unit 18 Archery/ first elk hunt

scook_30

Greetings Hunt Talk,
I'm planning on taking a 2 week break from Iowa and heading out to unit 18 this Sept.16-30 to scout for archery bulls. I figured id find the elk first this year (save $650 tag), then buy an OTC next year after hands on experience.

I've been doing my homework and i have a few places picked out.
-Wheeler Basin
-Hay Park/North West part of Corral peak south

I've marked down locations that overlook NE/NW facing slopes that are higher elevation and have plenty of green and water. I'm perfecting my diaphragm calling skills and have lost a significant amount of weight. To better prepare for this incredible experience, I have a few questions for all you veteran elk slayers.

-If a trail cuts through private property, ex.(Troublesome Trail cuts through ZD LAND & CATTLE LLC), am i allowed to keep on that trail and go through?
-If a CO Road cuts through a ranch or a random sub division in the middle of nowhere, am i allowed to keep driving up that road?
-Would it be a waste of time to check out around the Never Summer Wilderness, specifically around the north side of Bowen Mountain/Parika lake
-Would Crater/Triangle/Pawnee lake be worth a look through? Or is that too high traffic from campers/hikers?
-Could it be possible to hunt north of Sheep Mountain without dying?

If anyone has hunted any of these areas and would be so kind enough to give some advise or helpful tips, it would be greatly appreciated. Thank you.

Unit 18 is one of the first units close to Denver. Going to be one of the tougher units to get info on.

I've been to Parika for other reasons. A ton of hiker traffic there. Way more than I expected.

Iv'e hunted 18 a few times but not the areas you mention. Some general info though...

We never had trouble getting away from people and I'm sure you won't have much competition if you can get a few miles from a road. There is a ton of beetle kill in the area and downed trees will probably be a challenge. If this is your first archery elk hunt kill the first elk you get a shot at. If a trail crosses private land it is probably closed to you but take a gps, it isn't uncommon for a rancher to make it look like public land belongs to him to keep hunters away.

I have hunted the unit during late deer season and can tell you that you definitely need to be careful on the trail and road ideas you have. I would call a game warden or sheriff and ask them about the roads and trails you had in mind. There are some access trails but those are usually marked really well. As for the roads you will find a lot of private roads in that area, especially sub divisions that are closed to public assess and will typically be gated off. One good thing about that problem is it usually means hiking further to get into areas which means less competition.

Greetings Hunt Talk,
I'm planning on taking a 2 week break from Iowa and heading out to unit 18 this Sept.16-30 to scout for archery bulls. I figured id find the elk first this year (save $650 tag), then buy an OTC next year after hands on experience.

I've been doing my homework and i have a few places picked out.
-Wheeler Basin
-Hay Park/North West part of Corral peak south

I've marked down locations that overlook NE/NW facing slopes that are higher elevation and have plenty of green and water. I'm perfecting my diaphragm calling skills and have lost a significant amount of weight. To better prepare for this incredible experience, I have a few questions for all you veteran elk slayers.

-If a trail cuts through private property, ex.(Troublesome Trail cuts through ZD LAND & CATTLE LLC), am i allowed to keep on that trail and go through?
-If a CO Road cuts through a ranch or a random sub division in the middle of nowhere, am i allowed to keep driving up that road?
-Would it be a waste of time to check out around the Never Summer Wilderness, specifically around the north side of Bowen Mountain/Parika lake
-Would Crater/Triangle/Pawnee lake be worth a look through? Or is that too high traffic from campers/hikers?
-Could it be possible to hunt north of Sheep Mountain without dying?

If anyone has hunted any of these areas and would be so kind enough to give some advise or helpful tips, it would be greatly appreciated. Thank you.

Maybe... but you better check
maybe but you better check

no
yes
yes

You are certainly biting off one hellova mouthful of country, sounds like quite an adventure, have fun.

18 is steep and heavily timbered. I've seen some big bulls come out of there during archery and muzzle seasons. Navigating the beetle kill down fall timber can be very challenging. There is elk in all the spots you mentioned. Good luck and keep us posted!

I've hunted 18 3 times and heading back again this year. The group I hunt with has members that have been hunting the area for close to 20 years. We have done well. Last year was very crowded. Ran into other hunters in areas we had never seen anyone before. After changing things up a bit my buddy was able to kill a nice 6 point. Biggest bull we've ever taken out of there.

We don't hunt the area's you mentioned but I was in the Never Summer Wilderness long ago. That's tough country.

My biggest thought about your post is this. If your going to take 2 weeks off to go out there and scout bight the bullet and by the tag. OTC in CO is a tough game for the most part. Shot opportunities can be rare. Hell, some years sightings are rare to nonexistent. The bull my buddy killed last year was the first elk he'd seen after 5 days of hunting. Every year is different. How pissed would you be to have elk crawling all around you on your scouting trip and then blank on your hunting trip?

Wow, thanks everyone for all the replies. After reading all the replies, i feel more confident about all my research. will definitely keep you all posted.

I've hunted 18 3 times and heading back again this year. The group I hunt with has members that have been hunting the area for close to 20 years. We have done well. Last year was very crowded. Ran into other hunters in areas we had never seen anyone before. After changing things up a bit my buddy was able to kill a nice 6 point. Biggest bull we've ever taken out of there.

We don't hunt the area's you mentioned but I was in the Never Summer Wilderness long ago. That's tough country.

My biggest thought about your post is this. If your going to take 2 weeks off to go out there and scout bight the bullet and by the tag. OTC in CO is a tough game for the most part. Shot opportunities can be rare. Hell, some years sightings are rare to nonexistent. The bull my buddy killed last year was the first elk he'd seen after 5 days of hunting. Every year is different. How pissed would you be to have elk crawling all around you on your scouting trip and then blank on your hunting trip?

Hope to see a fellow Iowan out in the wild.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mfrosty6
Back