Vortex bino comparison

Bigjav

im looking into getting some vortex binoculars and was curious to hear some takes on the viper line compared to the razor line and most importantly are the razors really worth the extra cash?

Razors are much better than the vipers.

Save your money and pick up some used Swarovski SLCs........you will be much happier in the long run.

At cabelas I compared diamondback to viper to razor and while the razors were really nice and could see some difference, the vipers and razers where in a different group than the diamondbacks. I liked the vipers for the money, so I got a pair of 10x50s.

For me I just couldn't justify the extra cost from viper to razor.

Don't know if that helps any, but there it is.

You will notice a much greater difference in eye fatigue vs visual clarity especially in a well lit store environment. When I upgraded to Razor His I was amazed how much easier it was to sit behind them for long periods. When I upgraded to Swaro ELs, it was even better.

If you are comparing them in a store you will never see a difference that will convince you to spend the extra money. At least take them outside the store at dusk, and then you will start to see some difference.

Well, for me both of your options are way out of my price range.
Instead i picked up a set of Vortex Raptors. 10x32.

Received them Wednesday from Optics Planet. Took them out for a short 6 mile hike scouting yesterday.
The thing i really liked was the light weight. I was able to find a rub line from 200 yards away and not disturb anything.

Thing i really liked was the quality for $99 and free shipping.

If you are comparing them in a store you will never see a difference that will convince you to spend the extra money. At least take them outside the store at dusk, and then you will start to see some difference.

This!

Inside the store makes $50 binoculars seem good. You have to try binos in the field. Go with a cheap pair until you can save enough to get quality. Don't waste money on mid range because if your decently serious, down the road you will at least want razors, or swaros.

I have a pair of viper HD's and I am very happy with them. I don't understand why there is this assumption that the majority of hunters will end up buying or needing top of the line optics at some point in their life. I don't have a desire to spend that kind of money on Swaros or Razors. I am very happy with my vipers. Not everyone here is glassing for hours on end nor are they using them out west. I use mine while bow hunting and gun hunting in stand. I think the biggest qualification is how long do you plan on sitting behind them and glassing? If it will be a big majority of your hunt, buy the upper end. If not, the vipers will probably work great. Just as an edit here...I am not saying that upper end binoculars aren't great...I am sure they are. My point is that they aren't needed by everyone to be successful and satisfied.

Last edited by a moderator:
I use mine while bow hunting and gun hunting in a stand.

For this application, the diamondbacks are awesome glass. I looked at the newest version last week at cabelas, for $200 they are truly impressive. And you get a GREAT warranty.

If you keep an eye on ebay and various forum classifieds you can occasionally find a used pair of Razors, Zeiss Conquest or Cabelas Euros for not much more than you would pay for a new pair of Vipers.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Mthunter137
Back