Yeti GOBOX Collection

Solo Hunt

I take my horses once a year for a back country deer hunt solo. Usually 4 days. I don't have anyone to pack with, and I like getting away from the crowds. I'm getting older, so this year to keep my wife happy, I'm going on my first guided hunt for Elk. Usually I go solo for Elk, but not in the back country..

I frequently take solo trips. Quite often that is the way I have tried something new or hunted something different, because no one else wanted to try it. SHow it can be done and then the guys at home want to go. I prefer one good partner over solo, but its easy to get the best of both worlds with the right partner. More than that is too many. My only multi-person trip a year is rifle deer camp for opener, but thats a totally different hunt.

I frequently take solo trips. Quite often that is the way I have tried something new or hunted something different, because no one else wanted to try it. SHow it can be done and then the guys at home want to go. I prefer one good partner over solo, but its easy to get the best of both worlds with the right partner. More than that is too many. My only multi-person trip a year is rifle deer camp for opener, but thats a totally different hunt.
Sounds like a lot of us solo hunters are alike. Can't find friends to commit or they are afraid to try something new. I love exploring new places and new game. In November I'll be hunting deer and duck from a kayak and camping on the shoreline of Prince of Wales Island Alaska and I'll be solo. Had a friend who was supposed to go with me but he drew an awesome deer tag in CA. He drew G3 so I forgive him for bailing on me.

A lot of my archery elk hunting is done solo, and the majority of my successful elk hunts have been solo hunts. When I hunt elk with a partner, I feel it sometimes leads to "paralysis by analysis." When I'm on my own, I go with my gut, and sometimes it works out, sometimes it doesn't.

A lot of my archery elk hunting is done solo, and the majority of my successful elk hunts have been solo hunts. When I hunt elk with a partner, I feel it sometimes leads to "paralysis by analysis." When I'm on my own, I go with my gut, and sometimes it works out, sometimes it doesn't.

I am a beginner solo elk archer. I love all aspects of it. I have yet to punch a tag. Although I am fairly young, decent shape with a good mentality, I am dreading the work it will take to limb and pack out an elk. Looking at your avatar TripleJ I can not imagine what it would be like to pack out a bull of that magnitude a few miles from the truck. Yet knowing that accomplishment of packing solo makes the meat and the stories all much better.

I am a beginner solo elk archer. I love all aspects of it. I have yet to punch a tag. Although I am fairly young, decent shape with a good mentality, I am dreading the work it will take to limb and pack out an elk. Looking at your avatar TripleJ I can not imagine what it would be like to pack out a bull of that magnitude a few miles from the truck. Yet knowing that accomplishment of packing solo makes the meat and the stories all much better.

Breaking down and packing out an elk solo can be a huge undertaking, and it can test you to your core. You have to have the right mental resolve going into it, and a good understanding of what you're gonna do and how you're gonna do it. September often means warmer temps, and elk meat will spoil a lot faster than you think if you don't get the hide off and quarters/meat hanging with air circulating around it. Carry the right tools to get the job done, and make yourself familiar with how to break down an elk sized animal into chunks you can manage on your own. The sense of accomplishment you get when you throw that last quarter into the back of your truck is hard to describe. It makes it all worth it.

I've been solo hunting since I was a young boy hunting small game.

Since becoming an adult, I hunt alone for weeks at a time, sometimes covering several states on 5-6 week adventures for all types of big game.

I enjoy the company of other hunters at times, but I have no problem going it alone, and cherish the accomplishments achieved and experiences gained when doing it all by myself.

When I'm local I'm almost always solo, but if it's a travel somewhere hunt then a partner is a plus, if for nothing other than sharing expenses/drive time/ etc. That said, my last 2200 mile back & forth hunt was by my one-zies.

Most all of my hunting is solo out of necessity. My hunting buddies are still tied to full time jobs and I am lucky to get a week of hunting with them each year. Plus I have been playing the points game for years and only one of them does, so I have solo hunted elk in Colorado and Utah, and mule deer in New Mexico and California. I will be solo archery elk in the Bighorn Mountains WY for 3 weeks counting additional scouting (just returned from a week of it) prior to the opener. I will get a couple of weeks during rifle with one friend that drew the same tag whether I still have a tag in my pocket or not and then back home for a week in a Special draw unit for cow elk. After that I will get a week of hunting with a friend during Thanksgiving week up here. That one we will return to my place each evening as we are within an hours drive of the general elk area. So from September through Thanksgiving my gear will be in my truck or campsite. I will be in the field a lot and I will hunt all but 3 weeks solo.

Back