Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Solo Hunt

Default Solo Hunt

How many of you do solo hunts, more than a day away from home.

I do a lot of solo hunting. Anything from local day trips to a week in ruggered wilderness.

Headed to Wyoming the end of September for two weeks solo, Elk and Antelope.

Every year. Can't find buddies with as much vacation time as I do.

Yep. Lots. Tough to find a reliable hunting partner.
    Quote Originally Posted by Jimbo and Ned
    Thin out their numbers

Quote Originally Posted by belly-deep View Post
    Yep. Lots. Tough to find a reliable hunting partner.
    Ditto
    Forgive typing errors I'm either on an iPad or iPhone

Definitely hard to find good consistent hunting buddies. I'll be out in CO the last couple weeks of September by myself.
    Last edited by publichunter1; 08-12-2017 at 07:56 PM.

I have good hunting buddies in a few friends and brother that I trust. While I prefer sharing camp with good friends, I actually prefer going out for the day hunting by myself and going where i want and at my pace.this is for big game. Prefer bird hunting with friends.

9. Default

I've grown to prefer it.

Prefer solo. My wife is not a fan now that I am older. Especially where no cell connection so I got a sat phone.

I like being away from people on hunts but sometimes solo hunts are surrounded by other orange coats.

Spend some time to figure out the food and snacks to take, etc, as when solo is all on you to stay fueled, positive, rested, alert, etc.

Kind of an anti-social hunter myself. Sounds like you guys have the same problem and that is two kinds of hunting buddies, ones you will never waste your time in the woods with again and ones who beg to go with you but you know better than to take them.

I guess we are too serious about hunting.
    It Doesn't Matter What You Miss Them With.

I solo majority of the time,,,6 plus weeks of it this year in state and out of state combined

I mix it up throughout the fall but definitely spend a lot of time solo. I really enjoy the solitude and how simple it is.

Elk I prefer to have a hunting partner, mainly for the driving out. Anything smaller I have no problem going alone and sometimes prefer it. I do have 2 good friends that I would take any time because we think a like, and don't have to worry about each other doing something stupid.

Mostly solo but I have a few buddies wanting to get out to Wyoming and have me take them hunting. Not usually more than an hour or 2 from home just because I have what I want close by.
    If you've come this far, might as well go all the way.

I've done both with no preference either way as long as I'm hunting and in the outdoors!

Have yet to find a hunting buddy that I trust in the backcounty and who has a schedule compatible with mine, I do Montana, Wyoming, and Colorado trips pretty consistently solo and I am planning an AK trip for next fall.

Solo. Happy to hunt with someone but just don't know anybody to go with.

I hunt Montana for deer and I've hunted Wyoming for Antelope by myself and had a blast. Don't mind it a bit.

20. Default

hunt elk solo for a week every year. I get to hunt the way I like, where I like and I always get to take the first shot.
    Have some local friends I tag along with on their hunt, mostly archery. Bring up the rear, one more caller for them.
    Mostly they like that i like to help pack out.

21. Default

I take my horses once a year for a back country deer hunt solo. Usually 4 days. I don't have anyone to pack with, and I like getting away from the crowds. I'm getting older, so this year to keep my wife happy, I'm going on my first guided hunt for Elk. Usually I go solo for Elk, but not in the back country..

I frequently take solo trips. Quite often that is the way I have tried something new or hunted something different, because no one else wanted to try it. SHow it can be done and then the guys at home want to go. I prefer one good partner over solo, but its easy to get the best of both worlds with the right partner. More than that is too many. My only multi-person trip a year is rifle deer camp for opener, but thats a totally different hunt.

It's more relaxing that you way...

Quote Originally Posted by Epfd217 View Post
    I frequently take solo trips. Quite often that is the way I have tried something new or hunted something different, because no one else wanted to try it. SHow it can be done and then the guys at home want to go. I prefer one good partner over solo, but its easy to get the best of both worlds with the right partner. More than that is too many. My only multi-person trip a year is rifle deer camp for opener, but thats a totally different hunt.
    Sounds like a lot of us solo hunters are alike. Can't find friends to commit or they are afraid to try something new. I love exploring new places and new game. In November I'll be hunting deer and duck from a kayak and camping on the shoreline of Prince of Wales Island Alaska and I'll be solo. Had a friend who was supposed to go with me but he drew an awesome deer tag in CA. He drew G3 so I forgive him for bailing on me.

A lot of my archery elk hunting is done solo, and the majority of my successful elk hunts have been solo hunts. When I hunt elk with a partner, I feel it sometimes leads to "paralysis by analysis." When I'm on my own, I go with my gut, and sometimes it works out, sometimes it doesn't.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast