Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Solo Hunt

Quote Originally Posted by TripleJ View Post
    A lot of my archery elk hunting is done solo, and the majority of my successful elk hunts have been solo hunts. When I hunt elk with a partner, I feel it sometimes leads to "paralysis by analysis." When I'm on my own, I go with my gut, and sometimes it works out, sometimes it doesn't.
    I am a beginner solo elk archer. I love all aspects of it. I have yet to punch a tag. Although I am fairly young, decent shape with a good mentality, I am dreading the work it will take to limb and pack out an elk. Looking at your avatar TripleJ I can not imagine what it would be like to pack out a bull of that magnitude a few miles from the truck. Yet knowing that accomplishment of packing solo makes the meat and the stories all much better.

Quote Originally Posted by Ohboytimmy View Post
    I am a beginner solo elk archer. I love all aspects of it. I have yet to punch a tag. Although I am fairly young, decent shape with a good mentality, I am dreading the work it will take to limb and pack out an elk. Looking at your avatar TripleJ I can not imagine what it would be like to pack out a bull of that magnitude a few miles from the truck. Yet knowing that accomplishment of packing solo makes the meat and the stories all much better.
    Breaking down and packing out an elk solo can be a huge undertaking, and it can test you to your core. You have to have the right mental resolve going into it, and a good understanding of what you're gonna do and how you're gonna do it. September often means warmer temps, and elk meat will spoil a lot faster than you think if you don't get the hide off and quarters/meat hanging with air circulating around it. Carry the right tools to get the job done, and make yourself familiar with how to break down an elk sized animal into chunks you can manage on your own. The sense of accomplishment you get when you throw that last quarter into the back of your truck is hard to describe. It makes it all worth it.

Solo, no one to piss me off.
    What doesn't kill you, hunts like hell.

4. Default

I've been solo hunting since I was a young boy hunting small game.

Since becoming an adult, I hunt alone for weeks at a time, sometimes covering several states on 5-6 week adventures for all types of big game.

I enjoy the company of other hunters at times, but I have no problem going it alone, and cherish the accomplishments achieved and experiences gained when doing it all by myself.

When I'm local I'm almost always solo, but if it's a travel somewhere hunt then a partner is a plus, if for nothing other than sharing expenses/drive time/ etc. That said, my last 2200 mile back & forth hunt was by my one-zies.
    "Talent, hits a target, no one else can hit... Genius, hits a target, no one else can see."

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12