Default knife sharpening in the backcountry...

What steel do you guys carry with you in the bush and are you happy with it?

Been using a Lansky,ceramic & steel sharpeners with ceramic straight edge & folding steel rod too.
    I do carry a dual diamond that folds & is very light.
    I love sharp tools.

I carry a victorinox paring knife or two, no sharpener, and have been content even on elk. One less thing to clutter the random stuff pouch.

two knives and a medium EZE lap.

Name:  24663-01-1000.jpg
Views: 202
Size:  112.6 KB
    I don't kill rattlesnakes, and I don't eat sharks. It's a mutually beneficial arrangement..

I might get beat up over this, but I really like the cheap, light weight easy sharpeners like the one below. I have deboned a number of animals in the field and its easy to use while your hands are covered in blood and if anything happens to it, I can easily replace it for cheap.

Name:  Outdoor-pocket-hunting-2-stage-knife-sharpener.jpg
Views: 153
Size:  23.3 KB

I used to carry a small diamond stick in my pack. However, these days I do everything with a Havalon and just replace the blades. It's so easy, and I don't see myself going back to a traditional knife and sharpener

I've been using one of these the last few years:

http://www.cabelas.com/product/Work-...B&gclsrc=aw.ds

It's worked very well for me. I like having the short leather strop on the side.

folding diamond stone with a fine on one side and ultra fine on the other. Weighs a couple or three ounces.

Quote Originally Posted by Ridge Ghost View Post
    I used to carry a small diamond stick in my pack. However, these days I do everything with a Havalon and just replace the blades. It's so easy, and I don't see myself going back to a traditional knife and sharpener
    x100000 . I could not agree more. I even use my havalon to debone and break down my elk and deer at the house. A havalon and a few spare blades is so much easier than jacking with sharpening a knife midway through gutting/quartering......but then again I was just talking about the old school ways of doing things that seem so prevalent on this board...lol

10. Default

Quote Originally Posted by utahminer View Post
    I might get beat up over this, but I really like the cheap, light weight easy sharpeners like the one below. I have deboned a number of animals in the field and its easy to use while your hands are covered in blood and if anything happens to it, I can easily replace it for cheap.

Name:  Outdoor-pocket-hunting-2-stage-knife-sharpener.jpg
Views: 153
Size:  23.3 KB
    That's what I use too. Light and easy. I can do the real honing while I'm sitting on the couch at home.
    Quote Originally Posted by Jimbo and Ned
    Thin out their numbers

I no longer carry a stone or sharpener in the field. A good knife will hold an edge for a couple of weeks camping and hunting.

I prefer the little, yellow Smith's Jiff Sharpeners also. Small, lightweight, cheap, and bring a good edge back quickly with a few swipes.
    "Ride due West as the sun sets. Turn left at the Rocky Mountains" Robidoux