Use Promo Code Randy for 20% off OutdoorClass

Why do I have 9 tags?

Clarkm

Because one of them is for a cow elk, and knowing my chances are bad, I will fill the freezer with the other 8 deer tags.
I did not get any antelope tags this year.
I have not given up on elk. I am building yet another 7mmRemMag. I am hiking 4 miles every third day in my hunting boots.
It is just that I see shootable deer on shootable land every day. I see an elk somewhere every 4 years.

Personally I would rather harvest 1 cow elk rather than 8 deer. I also would rather have that cow tag in my pocket just in case one decides to give itself up while deer hunting.
I'm also wondering what state a person can have 8 deer tags in.
Good luck to you.

I'd have to get my regs, but with all the B tag options in Montana, I believe one could hold more than 8 deer tags. And more than 1 elk tag. mtmuley

The map shows how many does you can in every county here in Indiana.
Screenshot_20170812-131107.jpg

In Michigan if you choose, 2 bucks on a combination tag and 5 private land for tags. That's 7 easy. I'm not sure about special hunts - maybe more are possible. I have (1) bull (1) cow and (1) deer tags in montana, (1) cow tag in Idaho and (2) buck/doe tags in Michigan. My daughters have (1) cow tag for Idaho and (1) antelope tag for Montana plus too many deer tags to count. Going to be an insane year! The wife is concerned.

I'd have to get my regs, but with all the B tag options in Montana, I believe one could hold more than 8 deer tags. And more than 1 elk tag. mtmuley

I know the regs say you're allowed a total of 7 B licenses in any combination. So that plus your 1 General license makes 8 total...I don't think there is a way to get more than that...

Besides Montana B tags, it is possible in multiple states with multiple hunters in family, I personally have seven deer tags and three elk tags, my sons have three elk tags and five deer tags. Yes, not all of them are premium tags, some of them are just for meat and fun, but some of them are once a life time tags.

Because one of them is for a cow elk, and knowing my chances are bad, I will fill the freezer with the other 8 deer tags.
I did not get any antelope tags this year.
I have not given up on elk. I am building yet another 7mmRemMag. I am hiking 4 miles every third day in my hunting boots.
It is just that I see shootable deer on shootable land every day. I see an elk somewhere every 4 years.

That's a really big freezer and lots of mouths to feed :)

good luck to all
the dog

In much of the South, game departments allow extra deer if you are on a private land Deer Management Assistance Program. It is usually doe tags. I had one Mississippi season where I killed nine with a bow, three with a muzzleloader, and 15 total. Don't worry, no meat went to waste.

Last edited:
Gastro Gnome - Eat Better Wherever

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jack the bear
Back