Sitka Gear Turkey Tool Belt

USA road trip with three kids under 5

Paul j m

Hello all,

I am from Australia and looking at the options of a 2-3 month road trip next year with my partner and 3 young kids starting in Los Angeles and travelling around the country anti clockwise For my initial planning stages I am trying to work out what will be the best options as I will require to have the ability to fit 2 car seats and 1 booster seat in any type of transport and obviously I would like to do it as cost effectively as I can. I am happy to do some camping along the way or will look at most options. My theory for travelling from LA across the bottom first and then head north is that when I leave Florida by the time I make it up to the NorthWest the weather should be a bit better. My main points of interest are the south east and the north west but I am well and truly open to suggestions. If there was the ability to volunteer on a ranch or two along the way to find a spot to stay and understand life in the USA a bit better these are all the things I would consider. I look forward to some replies from people that have suggestions or any ideas that you think may be better suited to travelling with a young family. Any hunting opportunities along the way would be great. my expected travel period will be March to June roughly. Look forward to some advice from the locals.

Thanks Paul.

March to June leaves pigs and bear in season. It's pretty easy to find places to go hog hunting here In the south. And I think bears are over the counter in the northwest someone else will have to chime in. For a trip like that I'd by a motor home and sell it when your done.

The motor home idea sounds like the way to go. You can pull off lots of places and just Camp in it , kids will have a place to stretch their legs on occasion .
You could pull into the mountains and camp almost anywhere on National Forest lands and BLM.
Make sure you hit some smaller farming communities across the country.
May is branding season for ranchers in Wyoming so you just might find a ranch along the way and stop and watch or help out a little.

March to June leaves pigs and bear in season. It's pretty easy to find places to go hog hunting here In the south. And I think bears are over the counter in the northwest someone else will have to chime in. For a trip like that I'd by a motor home and sell it when your done.

rimmat I looked at buying a motor home but that appears to be a fairly hard thing to do for a non resident, I will continue to do my homework but I think that is quite difficult. The idea of a bear hunt or turkeys sound good, pigs I can hunt at home I wouldn't knock it back if the opportunity arises but I am keen to do something I can't do in Australia. If you have any more suggestions on transport id be keen to hear.

Thanks.

Last edited:
The motor home idea sounds like the way to go. You can pull off lots of places and just Camp in it , kids will have a place to stretch their legs on occasion .
You could pull into the mountains and camp almost anywhere on National Forest lands and BLM.
Make sure you hit some smaller farming communities across the country.
May is branding season for ranchers in Wyoming so you just might find a ranch along the way and stop and watch or help out a little.

Wytex,

As replied above on the motor home may have a few issues buying and selling as a non resident. Appreciate the info on the BLM and national forest lands I had done some looking into that and will do some more. I would certainly be doing some time through the smaller communities and rural areas as that is why I would like to spend the time enjoying the countryside. Id be happy to miss nearly all major cities. I have spent a fair amount of time working cattle and I'm a mechanic by trade and done my fair share of fencing so I think I could be useful to someone for a week or two if I got to spend some time on ranch somewhere. Appreciate your feedback and I will keep doing my homework.

Thanks Paul.

Did you look into long term rental of a Recreational Vehicle? This way you wouldn't need to try to sell the vehicle after your vacation is over. Here is one option as an example. http://www.lostcampersusa.com When I was a teenager my family rented a Volkswagon Vanagon and traveled around Europe for two and a half months. Awesome trip and the best way to meet the locals. The smaller van made gas prices a little bit easier to handle then the larger RV's, also easier to navigate through the larger cities. Sounds like a fun trip.

Last edited:
Sawtooth,

Thanks for the link I have looked at those and just verifying if I can lay the bed down in the bigger one without having to remove the car seats for the kids I think they would be a good compromise for an Rv and as you said a bit easier to get around and better on the fuel. I would throw in a tent and set the kids up in the van to sleep at night and set a little tent under the awning. I think that could work. Appreciate your assistance.

Thanks Paul.

Wytex,

As replied above on the motor home may have a few issues buying and selling as a non resident. Appreciate the info on the BLM and national forest lands I had done some looking into that and will do some more. I would certainly be doing some time through the smaller communities and rural areas as that is why I would like to spend the time enjoying the countryside. Id be happy to miss nearly all major cities. I have spent a fair amount of time working cattle and I'm a mechanic by trade and done my fair share of fencing so I think I could be useful to someone for a week or two if I got to spend some time on ranch somewhere. Appreciate your feedback and I will keep doing my homework.

Thanks Paul.

Contact some stockgrower associations like this one........

http://mtbeef.org/

I'm sure they could hook you up with a suitable ranch family to work for

BigHornRam,

Thanks very much I am continuing to do some homework on this and will touch base further down the track, appreciate your assistance.

Regards Paul.

I had a great time doing a solo trip for 10 days through SE Australia. Folks were warm and hospitable there and I'd love to reciprocate.
If you're passing through Albuquerque, I live 30 miles east in Edgewood. pm me if you need a place to stay for a night.
Small motorhome/RV might be the way to go.

I would definitely keep a trip log thread updated on this site as you travel to hopefully get locals to help you out on ideas of where to go and to stay out of potential trouble.

For example, Albuquerque has an auto theft problem these days, and I'd advise anybody passing through New Mexico on a trip to avoid parking overnight in a hotel parking lot in this town.
http://www.kob.com/albuquerque-news/study-ranks-albuquerque-worst-in-auto-thefts-per-capita/4509548/

Archer Wapiti,

If it all goes to plan and I am in your general direction I will take you up on that offer appreciate the thought.

Regards Paul.

Back