Mystery Ranch Marshall

highcountryhunter

Anybody have any experience with the Marshall on the guide lite frame? I have an outdoorsmans long range hunter pack and love the bag. My only complaint is that the waist belt keeps sliding down. I've adjusted it several different ways and while it definitely has helped I still feel it could be better. Don't get me wrong I'm not bashing outdoorsmans I think they make a good product but I'm just hoping the MR will fit me better. Thanks in advance for any advice!

Last edited:
I have used the Marshall and now use a Metcalf, both on the guide lite frame. For me, MR's just fit my body type. On both, once they have been adjusted, they are bombproof. To be honest though, I feel that the only way you can make an informed buy is to try them on and walk around with weight to see what they do and talk to as many people as possible. I am very very happy with MR but know there are some people who feel that the guide lite frame doesn't fit their body as they had hoped. Stoneglacier, Kifaru, Exo and others make great packs of which with all, I don't feel like you can go wrong. Its all about how the pack fits you...just make sure their is weight in it when trying it on. All packs seem to feel "great" until they have more than 40lbs in them when you can start to really tell a difference. Not sure where you live but maybe theres a shop close by where you can give some a spin?

Which did you like better the Marshall or the Metcalf. Im looking for something of for 7-10 day backpack hunts for CO archery and 1st rifle season. Is the Marshall HUGE compared to the Metcalf?

The Marshall is definitely a big pack. Its job is to haul massive amounts of gear and have the room to do it and do it well. It is the pack that you can live out of for long hunts.

If you are doing something on the line of a 7-10 day hunt, I would lean towards the Marshall. It is basically 2000 cubic inches larger in volume than the Metcalf (6408 vs. 4333) and the Marshall will give you the space to carry enough food, shelter, clothes, etc. for a hunt up to 10 days. You can always remove the lid, and cinch it down considerably for hunting from camp, etc. when you don't need the full volume.
While it is true that when you have a big pack you are more likely to fill the thing, it is also tough to make a smaller pack work for the big trips when you need more space. While I lean towards a more lightweight approach (floorless shelter, quilt, etc.) I also have no problem rocking a 30 oz insulated sleeping pad, puffy down jacket and a fair bit of food, all of which takes up space. I use the Metcalf, but my hunts are in the 3-5 day range, and typically earlier season.

And regarding the Guide Light frame, regardless of the size/style of pack that is on it, it works the same across the board. Same strength, build, ability to haul heavy stuff (Overload Shelf feature); so, the decision really comes down to what kind of hunts you typically do, and what size of pack would work best for your needs.

My plan is to go lite. Floor less tent, light weight sleeping bag and pad.... I will be hunting with a buddy so we can share some of the weight. I want a met calf but I worry it might be to small for 7-10 days worth of food and gear.

Anybody have any experience with the Marshall on the guide lite frame? I have an outdoorsmans long range hunter pack and love the bag. My only complaint is that the waist belt keeps sliding down. I've adjusted it several different ways and while it definitely has helped I still feel it could be better. Don't get me wrong I'm not bashing outdoorsmans I think they make a good product but I'm just hoping the MR will fit me better. Thanks in advance for any advice!

Where are you from? I've been thinking about buying the outdoorsmans long range pack. Are you looking to sell it?

thanks.

I would recommend going with the Marshall. 7-10 days for a hunt, even if you are splitting gear and going as light as possible still requires a fair bit of gear and food, and the extra space will be welcomed. I have found that for a hunt of that duration, just the food alone takes up a big chunk of space; I usually pack each day's worth of food into one quart bag (so about 10 full bags), plus a Mtn House meal for dinner (another 9-10 packages, depending on how many actual nights you need dinner).

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ElknTrout
Back