Wyoming Timing

VikingsGuy

Planning first trip to WY for pronghorn. We will be in state 4 days. Our priorities for this trip are #1 - learn; #2 - enjoy ourselves; #3 - each of us shoots one 'lope, doe or buck, doesn't matter to us, we will save trophy hunting for future trips; #4 - we see as few humans as possible during the hunt; #5 - pay no trespass fees.

With these goals in mind, is it best to be there 1st, 2nd, 3rd or 4th week?

With these goals in mind, is there a difference between week days and weekends?

My Pard and i hunted unit 63 the last time we drew lopes and deer. We hunted lopes toward the end of their season in order to just make one trip for both critters and just about had the unit to ourselves. We managed to get permission for free from Pathfinder Ranch and the Dumbell Ranch but also saw many lopes on Public Land. Late in the season like that, the antelope were gathered together in big groups, as many as 100 or more in a bunch, and often we could actually drive thru the bunches, almost parting the groups with our bumper

Might not be what you wanted to hear but that was our findings. We had a blast with our glass and judging skills right up close and i'm sure it was because we were there late that allowed us to do that.

On previous hunts I was in the so called less favorable/lack of public land units. I advoided the opening day to advoid people. We got to our unit the first Saturday and stayed through the week. It was noticeably more busy over the weekend with hunters and many road hunters. Had many more spots by ourself during the week. I'd rather see less critters with less people then bump into people for spots. In those units we had to drive distances between spots but when we gott out and used our boots we found some lopes.

I hunt a unit with limited public access and few people, but there are still noticeably more people on the weekends than week days.

Weekends and opening 2 weeks will be the busiest, last week will also bring out the last minute tag fillers.
If your area coincides with deer or elk seasons I would hunt the opening day of one of those. Many will be put hunting deer and elk instead of antelope.

Weekend will be. busiest. I've hunted all of the above. When is opening day, mid week or a Saturday? When I did opening day we were camped in the most remote part and had been there a couple days. Had two nice bucks down an hour into the hunt. Opening day was midweek so most of the "locals" were at work waiting for the weekend. The last week or so will have few hunters but the antelope will be wild compared to opening week

Sitka Gear Turkey Tool Belt

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hotdeals
Back