Leupold BX-4 Rangefinding Binoculars

Custer National Foster and using Incident Information Sysem

YankeeHunter66

hey guys and gals, I am heading out for my first ever Mule deer hunt in Montana and I am trying to use the web site https://inciweb.nwcg.gov/incident to find if there was any fires in the area over the last year or so and I am having issue not sure if I am looking at it right, I set my search for 365 day all status and all types and did not see any fires in the foster, Is that correct

The biggest incident in the Custer forest will occur this fall. The plumage of florescent-orange clad hunters with one buck and 8 doe tags in shiny new mystery ranch backpacks will be visible for hundreds of miles. They will be storm-trooping the area, guided by their Garmin GPSs and the OnXmaps recent fire layer enabled.

The biggest incident in the Custer forest will occur this fall. The plumage of florescent-orange clad hunters with one buck and 8 doe tags in shiny new mystery ranch backpacks will be visible for hundreds of miles. They will be storm-trooping the area, guided by their Garmin GPSs and the OnXmaps recent fire layer enabled.

optimist.

I know funny and that is funny ��!

It is very possible that Custer will have an orange tinge that will be visible from space this fall. IF it doesn't start to rain the dust cloud stirred up by all the pickups and four wheelers on the abundant dirt roads could exceed those of the Dust Bowl. I was thinking about building a bomb shelter so I would be safe this November but all of the contractors that specialize in bomb shelters have up and left for Guam.
To your question. There has been some fires on the Custer, The biggest is about 4500 acres. In the last 20 years about 2/3 of the Custer has burned. Are the burns good hunting? Yes and No. There are good numbers of deer in the burns and they are easy to find but this also means most of the bucks in the burns will not get more more than 2 or three years old. If you are looking for a big deer hunt the thickest timber you can find and don't expect to see very many deer. Big deer are few and far between now days.

Last edited:
Should be a good fall for the Custer.

Should be a good fall for Fruit's Gas Station, the Western 8 Motel, and the Judge's Chambers Restaurant. And to have random guys wander into your camp and want to bullshit around the fire............. Sure am glad I'm one of the guys that got here long before the "new" ones did:rolleyes:

Should be a good fall for Fruit's Gas Station, the Western 8 Motel, and the Judge's Chambers Restaurant. And to have random guys wander into your camp and want to bullshit around the fire............. Sure am glad I'm one of the guys that got here long before the "new" ones did:rolleyes:

Well there's an upside to everything

You will have a great time. Same old story, find places without road hunters and walk. Glass. I've killed my self over the years getting to places with no other hunters and often enough there is a reason that they aren't there. neither is much else. There will be fires, they will likely not matter all that much. A bigger concern is drought, others know better, but I think it has been VERY dry there. I'm sure there are still plenty of deer but early in the season may be unpleasantly crunchy.

I think the judge's chambers shut down a few years ago. Kinda coincided with the rise in tag prices.

Forget hunting this fall I'm setting up a strip club along the 212 highway and raking in the dolla billz. 2 free drinks with the cover charge for anyone with Washington or Minnesota ID. Maybe I'll call it "The Pumpkin Patch"

Gastro Gnome - Eat Better Wherever

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Infraredice
Back