Any Back Pain Remedies?

PaJay 1962

I have a hunt in CO next month and anticipate a LOT of walking, climbing, etc. I've been doing a lot of walking and hill climbing here in PA, knowing that it will be a lot more difficult there. Anyway, while hiking this morning with a pack on, I noticed some back pain and it going down my butt to the top of the leg. Not terrible, but annoying. I started thinking that this may be something I'll have to deal with next month as I'll be doing more hiking and climbing, so I was wondering what do you guys use for localized pain? Other than Advil, etc., is there a certain brand of stick-on patch that you've found to work well? I was in the store this afternoon and saw a lot of choices, some having menthol, others having capsaisin, and another having aspirin on it. I'd appreciate knowing what others have used so I can pack it along!

Thanks
Jay

Hard foam roller on your hip flexors & gluteous max, lots of stretching, dead lifts and don't forget to go to your chiropractor.

I have a similar issue, especially if I've been sedentary for too long. Siezes up and takes forever to unkink. The foam roller has been a life saver. If I don't have that with me on hunts, I tough it out w/ a water bottle.

Rest. Overdoing it which would be normal soreness elsewhere causes an inflammation response. With so many nerves running up the spine that inflammation is probably whats causing the pain. Happens every now and then to me. Get some ice to reduce swelling and take a break after the hunt

The other day I was at the gym at 4am, work at 630. Home at 430...then tearing siding off my dads house and re-sheathing with 4x8x3/4 ply wood...by myself til 10pm. I was hurtin. Long rest that night. Took it easy yesterday and good as new today.

Look up sacroiliac joint dysfunction. Something as simple as stretching those hammy's can help. I don't put much faith into patches and creams. Naproxen, or ibuprofen can help reduce swelling.

If the pain is still present when you get to Colorado, pull in and get you some of that sweet stinky and natures natural cure:rolleyes:

Stay away from the smelly topicals.. I know those creams and gels do not work for me, but everyone is different. I always have the main three otc pain relief tabs with me (aspirin, Advil and Tylenol) in my pack. As far as massage legs and tail end a rolling pin works well.

Dude, get thee well. Piriformis, hip flexor, quad, and hamstring stretch now! I neglected that and it eventually damaged my back due the muscles not doing their job in helping keep me up and aligned.

I would be very cautious. Pain going down the leg is no joke and is usually the result of pressure on a nerve. I've had 2 herniated discs in my lower back so I'm too familiar. I take it the pain has gone away? Trust me you do not want to blow a disc and I would take this as a warning sign. Youtube has numerous stretches and whatnot for the lower back. I've had that type of pain for months on end as a result of my injuries, only thing that helped is anti-inflammatory medication(Ibuprofen) IMO the 100- 200mg typical over the counter stuff is too weak to do much. If you can get your hands on some of the higher strength stuff (motrin 800mg) I've found that to be best. Also helps with sore knees and whatever else, I know some long distance hikers that take the stuff like candy but you have to be careful you don't take too much.

Heating pads also seem to work well for me, I know others like ice.

Stretch, stretch, and stretch some more. I have been fighting back issues the last few years and stretching helps me as much as anything.

This sounds like the start of some discogenic back issues. The combined forward flexed position of carrying a pack, coupled with the extra weight puts excess load on the disc. As a physical therapist I would suggest having a PT take a look at your back and see how you move to get things moving more optimally. Even one visit to have someone take a look and screen your movement patterns and give you a home exercise program could fix things fast. Yes all the stretching and foam rolling advice may help but blindly trying random exercises can be as negligent as shooting an arrow into a herd of elk hoping to hit a bull. I know this may feel minor but the cost of one co-pay could be the thing that saved your trip and kept you going that extra mile to paydirt. Let me know if you have any questions.

Inversion table. Best thing my wife ever bought me. Use it once a day for normal days, twice on bad days. Only 1-2 minutes is all you need.

Stretch, stretch, and stretch some more. I have been fighting back issues the last few years and stretching helps me as much as anything.

This is key. Set up a session with a yoga instructor. They will teach you stretches that make a difference. My son got tight during track season a couple of years ago to the point jogging was difficult. He worked with a yoga instructor friend and his recovery was nearly miraculous.

I've seen a chiro every 4 weeks for many years. What has recently helped, (thanks Bowsiters) and pushed the appointments out, is hot pulsing water from the shower on the lower back, to relax the muscles. Hot as in damn hot, to the point of almost burning. 5 plus minutes/day has made a difference.
I also have the requisite supply of muscle relaxers and pain killers in the truck and pack, just in case.

Wow, lots of different remedies, much appreciated! Someone had asked about my shape, etc. Soon to be 55 years old, not overweight - 5'10" and 176 lbs. For the past 2 months I've been going to the gym, walking, hiking. The pain shows up every now and then. I'll look into those stretching exercises and possibly see a PT (but I'd probably have to go to my MD before I could go straight to the PT).

Thanks!

Gastro Gnome - Eat Better Wherever

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
clamwc
Back