Yeti GOBOX Collection

Kodiak fishing trip

BuzzH

Just got back yesterday from fishing on Kodiak. Talked 5 buddies into going and they all had an absolute blast.

4 of the 6 guys had never been to Kodiak or fished there...they didn't know what they were in for.

0806170728a.jpg

Each day, of our 3 day trip, was about a carbon copy of every other day. Get to the boat at 7:30, load up and head out fishing.

I had the big fish for day 1, about 120lbs or so.

0804171603.jpg

The salmon fishing was off the charts that day too...2 times we had 3 kings on at the same time. I don't believe we lost a single one and had our limit in less than an hour.

Dwayne with a king:

0804171306a.jpg

Joe with one:

0804171334b.jpg

The black rock fish bite was strong too, and nice big mature fish:

0804171510a.jpg

Big fish for the trip on day 2, Joe and Gary (boat captain) with Joes fish 160lbs:

0805171649a.jpg

Another 50-60lber

08061711551.jpg

Limit on deck:

0806171341.jpg

Fish box one day:

0805171620.jpg

When it was all said and done, we had 3 halibut over 100lbs, a total of 22 halibut, 30 salmon mix of kings and silvers, a bunch of black rockfish, and 3 ling cod. We all came home with 85lbs of filets each for a trip total of just over 500lbs of filets. Not too shabby.

Last edited:
Looks like a great time. Good to hear that the salmon run was strong. Did you eat the ling cod when you were there or did you freeze them as well? In my experience, ling tastes great when eaten the same day it was caught, but doesn't do so well after it has been frozen. Congrats on some beautiful fish. Those filets will be a great way to enjoy the memories of a fun trip.

Great trip,Buzz. Incredible fishing but I always liked an August Alaska trip just as much to get away from the heat and into some cooler weather. Black rockfish don't come any bigger than that.

Very well done!! I need to do that some year.

I was wondering why you had been so quiet lately. ;) Very much a better way to spend your time.

Great trip,Buzz. Incredible fishing but I always liked an August Alaska trip just as much to get away from the heat and into some cooler weather. Black rockfish don't come any bigger than that.

Indeed.

We didn't see the sun at all the entire trip. All our flights were cancelled and had to spend an extra day on the Island. That isn't a bad thing, but the weather was pretty bad even by Kodiak standards.

Agreed on the black rockfish as well, they just don't get any better, at least not anywhere I've fished them.

Its fun to be there when the guys you're fishing with have never experienced that kind of fishing...we had a blast.

Bucket list trip right there for me before my dad gets too old. Looks like a blast!

That is how I envision the ultimate fishing trip. Hope I can do that at lease once before I die. I'm so impressed. Thank you for posting.

Leupold BX-4 Rangefinding Binoculars

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papretzelman
Back