Wyoming pronghorn. Opening day or wait a couple weeks?

Epfd217

Like many of us, I'm trying to plan my days off for my hunt. This is my first pronghorn hunt so I'm not sure of the pressure or the hunt style. I have a buck tag for zone 17.

Would you use Sept 29 and 30th to scout/bowhunt then hunt the gun opener or would you wait and go second or third week of gun season?

My work schedule has me locked up from 10/4 until 10/10. I can go before or after.

Thoughts?

I like being there on the opener, but it's not really necessary. Based on your two options, I'd go for the first one listed.

Since you have time to scout definitely be there for opener. You can put your buck to bed the night before opener and whack him 1st thing in the morning.

I appreciate the comments. Once I wooke up and had a clear head, I realized, I can always make a second trip back if for some reason opener is a bust. No point in wasting that opportunity.

I was scrolling through looking for tips on unit 17 and I saw you hunted it last year. I am headed out 10/12, any advice on where to start? Thanks

Since you have time to scout definitely be there for opener. You can put your buck to bed the night before opener and whack him 1st thing in the morning.

Greenhorn gave me this advise quite a few years ago. I use it.

We (3 hunters) went for the opener of our unit which did not open on the weekend. Found two great bucks opening day and got them both down, one is a monster, biggest we have ever even seen in wyoming. The third tag holder looked for a good buck for a couple days and we definitely noticed the pressure pick up on Saturday. Took a great buck Saturday evening to end the trip.

If your hunt doesn't open on a weekend, opening day could be good.

Had the same experience as Honey Badger. Opener was on a Thursday but ran into virtually zero other hunters until Friday evening

I agree go for the opener. We just got back from the second week and the pickens were slim plus the goats were spooky. May not be the same everywhere but if I do it again it’ll be first week.

We went opener on the weekend last year in our unit . It kinda nerve racking seeing all the other hunters. We both got it done though by 4 pm the first day with 2 decent bucks. Lots of lazy antelope hunters that dont leave the pickup.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Infraredice
Back