PEAX Equipment

Powerstroke 6.7 tuning

Muleyfanatic

My 2012 is out of warranty (45,000 miles on it) and I'm considering putting a tuning kit on with a complete delete of Def and EGR. I am looking to increase longevity of motor over everything else. I plan on just running stock HP but the tuning kit I am looking at has settings from stock to 150 HP added. I know what is legal and what is not; don't want this thread to go down that road (not into rolling coal) so not too worried about that LOL. Curious if anybody has done this and what their experiences are MPG gains or loses, operating at higher altitudes, longevity of equipment.

Doesn't that motor have a seven year 100000 mile warranty
My 7.3 has a Diablo chip set for towing, it's gained a few mpg and still running strong
Best of luck to whatever you choose

Powertrain warranty is 5yrs or 100k, whichever comes first.

I just ordered a 2018 f550 for my new service truck. First time for a diesel. First time I'll have a crane. Both are probably long overdue. Custom box built how I want it. If all goes right I'll pick it up in Kansas on my way back from a successful New Mexico elk hunt.

Hold off on any mods until after the warranty??

I just ordered a 2018 f550 for my new service truck. First time for a diesel. First time I'll have a crane. Both are probably long overdue. Custom box built how I want it. If all goes right I'll pick it up in Kansas on my way back from a successful New Mexico elk hunt.

I agree it should still be under warranty.

Esracerx- sounds nice. Crane saves the back. Before you know it you will be using it for everything. Hy Cylinders, tracks, cutting edges, breaking bolts loose. :)
Did a few cylinder heads without one. 340lb one on a 3406 cat finally broke me.

I have a friend that works on all things electrical. He does a lot of my pump stations..pulling pumps..and other equipment. His truck has a crane and it is amazing how much use he gets out of that thing. I don't think you'll regret the crane at all. Good luck in NM!

There are forums for every truck there is out there. I'm sure you could find lots of info on what you want to do on a ford truck forum. Good luck to you.

Warranty is out at 5yrs 100k.

I'd definitely do the exhaust, tune it and install a pyrometer. I have found that the higher hp tunes give the best economy. Likely because of the advanced injection timing. The problem is they advance it so far that you are right on the ragged edge. Just get the one with the best reputation and keep your foot out of it.

I'd definitely do the exhaust, tune it and install a pyrometer. I have found that the higher hp tunes give the best economy. Likely because of the advanced injection timing. The problem is they advance it so far that you are right on the ragged edge. Just get the one with the best reputation and keep your foot out of it.

Good advice from elkmagnet. I run a 130hp tune in my 2006 5.9 because it gives the best fuel mileage. I'm still running my stock transmission also.

I have a 7.3 with 310,000 and still going and a 2011 6.7 with 150,000 and they are both stock, have been told to get rid of the def and change the exhaust and add a controller from a reputable retailer which I have pondered on for a while but my issue has been these 6.7 motors are engineered to run with a certain amount of back pressure and a exhaust system will change that and tweaking the injecting timing just worries me a little I guess. In the long run don't have a reason for another 100 ponies, the extra mileage would be great but the unforeseen internal damage might off set the savings when work needs to be done. To each his own but would like to hear from individuals that have put over 100,000 miles on tricked out 6.7s, most that I know have done the work leave them parked and run them maybe 10,000 miles a yr.

My only experience is with my 7.3. No tuning yet, mainly because I used to live where emissions test was required annually.

Upgrades I've done: Ford Sever Duty AIS, Bellowed up pipes, 4" MBRP turbo back exhaust, SPTurboost 5 vane billet wheel and center section rebuild on the turbo, new pedestal w delete, new CAC boots and gauges. Not sure I'd do any tuning before I did all this. Most of all, make sure you don't have boost leaks.

https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/forum205/ has been a great info source for my 7.3, I'm sure it's the same for the 6.7.

I ended up installing a complete kit (EzLink with GDP tunes SOTF). I have since put about 6000 miles on truck and run it on level 3 90HP gain. I have been seeing about a 2mpg increase on this setting and power is unbelievable compared to stock. It's nice to be able to monitor everything now as factory gauges are very limited on what they show. I'm not sure anybody needs the extra power but it is nice. I did the install myself and wasn't too bad but wasn't the easiest either.

I've got a 7.3 with 500,000 miles on it and still have it. Never had trouble. I wish they still made that motor. I have had two 6.0L both blew the egr cooler. One was at 70,000 miles the other at 120,000. I had to put the bullit proof kit on both of them. Didn't have egr issues after that. But one keep having injector issues. Finally traded it in. We've got two new 6.7 now and have 67,000 on one and 130,000 on the other. No issues as of yet. I believe in the bullit proof diesel kits. They are expensive but they work.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dalton14rocks
Back