?? about a Garmin in reach or sat phone

tom338

Have a bow hunting trip planned in September and will go back for rifle if in don't tag out. My Mom's health is becoming a issue and I would like to be able to have my wife be able to get ahold of me in case something happens and I need to get home (MN). Will be in Montana this year and next year Wyoming and Montana and New Mexico if I get drawn. What works best without breaking the bank to bad.

I assume both would work fine. I'm happy with my Delorme In Reach. It works well and has some additional features other than just communications. It's probably cheaper than a sat phone. I would think it would be all you would need in the backcountry for your situation.

I had the same dilemma, and i ended up buying a Delorme Inreach used of eBay. You can save a few bucks and get the same function. It's very easy to register a used device in your name. I considered a new one, but Garmin makes them now. HOWEVER, Garmin map chips won't work in them. It's a great product, but i assume Garmin will update them in the next year or so to accept Garmin map chips. Then I'll consider upgrading.

Nick80, were you able to use it anywhere you went. User friendly?? It looks like on every plan there is a feature to sent a specific text to someone unlimited, am I seeing that right. And people can text you back from a cell phone??

Nick80, were you able to use it anywhere you went. User friendly?? It looks like on every plan there is a feature to sent a specific text to someone unlimited, am I seeing that right. And people can text you back from a cell phone??
I have an old, Gen 1, InReach. It has never failed to send or receive a message. Yes, there are unlimited "quick text" options for all plans and those are mostly what I use. I just send my wife a "I'm okay" type message a few times a day. Yes, you can receive texts back from a phone.

Every prewritten message can be sent for free. Up to 3-4 different ones (e.g., I'm Okay, I'm running late, etc.). You can send it to a number of people and devices.

However, anyone with a link and access to your website or the random phone number assigned for that conversation can text you back. Those texts are not free. I went with the cheapest plan. 10 texts a month and $.50 a piece after that. But at $12-45 a month savings between upgraded plans, I'd have to send A LOT of texts each year to save any money.

Like you, I just want to have a way for my family to contact me in an emergency. In an emergency, you won't care about the price of texts.

-B

PS
There's no way for a random person to initiate a text to you. Your device gets assigned a temporary number every time you send a text. Supposedly those numbers are only good for a few days if they aren't being used. So, you'll need to send out a text (like an "I'm ok") before every trip so people can contact you. Alternatively, they can message you from the online website application I mentioned above.

Going on my 3rd year with my InReach and I'm very happy with it. Used it in Wyoming, Montana and Alaska and never had any issues.

The 3 preset messages are free to up to 5 different people. Starting out I used some of the higher $ monthly plans, but now I just use the $15 safety plan and rarely go over the 10 included texts.

I really like being able to turn it on and off, I generally use it 2 or 3 months a year so it costs $55 to $70 per year for the plan. $25 per year plus $15 per month it is activated.

The satellite coverage is considerably better than the SPOT messengers IMO.

Not knocking new threads on topics such as this though if you use the search function, there are several threads on Sat phones, PLB's, InReach, Spot, etc. However, it never hurts to chat about this as a new thread for new perspectives, new items on the market, etc...

I originally purchased a Spot. Then a thread popped up, again, on HT and some of those I respect voiced their thoughts... I returned the Spot and purchased the InReach and have no reason to look back! Not only does it give peace of mind when in the back country, I route through a dead cell area to and from work, every day... and it is a Deer/elk filled stretch of highway. The text function has been fantastic! I've used it to contact my wife and told her I hit a deer. It gave the exact location on a map for her to know where I was. She sent that map link to the tow company and done deal. I've used it to get emergency medical for another who slammed into a moose.

Originally I bought it to take advantage of the seasonal payment and now have it for yearly subscription... again, not looking back on that choice either. InReach all the way!

I recently just purchased the Inreach Explorer Plus, my wife was not happy that everywhere I go (mostly solo) I had no means of communication if something went south. The peace of mind it gives her was worth every penny. I do wish you could put chips in them but I just use my onx app in offline mode and works great.

Thanks for the replies, think I'll be getting one. And FYI I did do a search and came up with squat on the subject, not sure what I did wrong but I did try a couple different times and phrased different, such my post now

Have a bow hunting trip planned in September and will go back for rifle if in don't tag out. My Mom's health is becoming a issue and I would like to be able to have my wife be able to get ahold of me in case something happens and I need to get home (MN). Will be in Montana this year and next year Wyoming and Montana and New Mexico if I get drawn. What works best without breaking the bank to bad.

Here is a link to a thread I wrote back in April about the inReach. Hope it helps.

https://onyourownadventures.com/hun...275300-DeLorme-InReach-Satellite-Communicator

On the same boat as most of the other members. I used a Spot gen3 for my solo CO archery hunt last year. Loved everything about it device price was affordable, the tracking worked great, had a preset text message and SOS beacon. Where there get you is when you have to sign for an annual contract. Other than that the device worked great.

I recently purchased a Delorme Inreach SE off of ebay used. Got it for a pretty good price. It sold me on the direct 160 character text messaging and the monthly programs options they have. Now that they have sided with Garmin built up a little more confidence in me. I really like and trust Garmin products.

If you are interested I still have my Spot Gen3 that is just sitting around. I can sell it to you for pretty cheap. Maybe you can sign up and put up a lengthy conversation with SPOT to get it cancelled within a month or two.

You can rent a sat phone for about $95 a week....that's shipped to and from your house and includes 10 minutes of airtime, but you can go over if needed in an emergency.

Leupold BX-4 Rangefinding Binoculars

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
samcarp
Back