Use Promo Code Randy for 20% off OutdoorClass

Dumb question about Grizzly habitat

Trigger50

Ok. I'm a flatlander. Most of my western hunting has been in non grizzly bear range. But I've always had this burning question. Randy and everybody else always says avoid areas griz's hangout. Can someone please elaborate and get more specific about this. Thanks

Depends on what time of year it is and what they are feeding on. White bark pine nuts are usually fed on in early September at higher elevations so bow hunters need to keep that in mind. Same for berries and insects like ants and moth larve. See a lot of freshly turned over rocks and rotten logs, need to pay attention.

Stay out of drainage bottoms with really tall, thick vegetation that obscures sight. I know it's hunting but it's not a bad idea to make a little noise. Carry bear spray, keep a clean camp and it's not a bad idea to hang your food outside of camp, same with hanging meat out of camp. If you smell a rotten carcass, probably best to make a wide circle around it so you don't happen to spook a bear on a gut pile

When they are out looking for food in the fall, you can run into one about anywhere.

But they do seem to hit thick cover in the day.

The closer you get to West Yellowstone MT, the more likely you are to get eaten.

Not a dumb question at all. Trouble is, good grizzly habitat is often good elk habitat. Folks above had it right when they said know what the bears are eating and be careful in habitats that include those resources. Put your bear goggles on and look sharp for fresh bear sign. Bears in the fall are hungry and feed a lot of the time, but also pass the hottest parts of the day in day beds, often in cooler, shaded, moist brushy places. Hmm... a little like elk.

All good points. One shouldn't hunt alone but hard not to. I have way more time than friends to hunt. If you hunt in grizzly country over time it is likely you are going to have an encounter (As we silently walk through the forest making sounds like a prey animal in September, scent free and camo-ed up). It is the thing I struggle with near here.
Be prepared, use your nose and stay out of the berry patches. I carry a gun and bear spray. My closest encounter was on a pack trail as I was coming off the mountain. He was coming up. We both stepped off the trail and he never broke stride. Passed at 10 yards. I think being down wind and having my bow sticking up out of my backpack and face shielded helped, Gun drawn. My thoughts are;
1.The biggest concern is surprising and getting between a sow and her cubs. 2. Being bent over a kill dressing it out. The experts say 4.5 seconds to contact...

In Montana you would have to avoid from the Idaho border to the central MT plains,they range over half the state.Been hunting MT well over 30 years,ran into grizz many times and never had an issue.If you try to avoid grizz country in MT you are giving up 80% of the good public land hunting.

Last edited:
I have been wrestling with this too as I am new to western hunting and do not have a hunting partner yet for Archery season in MT, if anyone needs someone to hunt with let me know I have already scouted some promising spots for opening week archery. One thing that eased my mind a bit was a research article by MT FWP and the university that put grizzly bear populations into perspective. Even grizzly bear hot spots such as Unit 360, southern part of 301, 310, etc. densities are only one per about 30 to 40 sq miles at most and other areas are one per 50 to 100 sq miles. That is a lot of land to cover for one animal. If we were to look to hunt animals with those densities we would not have much hope of even seeing one much less running into one for a shot. Put this on top of the research article's findings that as mid October approaches Grizzlys get more lathargic and their home range shrinks closer to den up areas. They also found that by early to mid November, depending on weather, almost all bears are denned up with females and cubs denning as early as Late October and early November. Also Grizz den high up in the Mtn.'s so as most elk and mule deer are coming down the mtn in October and November Grizz are moving up the mtn to just below treeline to start denning. The lowest elevation Grizz den that they recorded int the GYA was around 7,000 feet, with more in the 8,000 plus range and several of the "choice den areas" around 10,000 feet.

I went and scouted an area that ripe with elk and mule deer sign this last week. I did notice a few small overturned rocks and there were some berry patches, but the soil under the rocks was dry as a bone and the elk sign seemed much fresher than what little possible bear sign (I never saw claw marks or tracks) so I am not too worried. I will scout it again just before season to make sure the elk are still there and the bear(s) have not kicked them out.

Ive seen elk and grizzly's grazing in the same meadow,they dont kick them out.They den much higher than they roam during the summer/fall months for the most part but they have been known to den out on the prairie as well.For the most part Elk and Mule deer dont move down out of the high mountains till the snow forces them down,many never come down.I dont know what you guys are worried about,there are thousands of bow hunters roaming around MT every year and its very rare that they have issues with grizzlys.

Ill bet that bear had a bad case of indigestion.If you look at the numbers bow hunters dont make up much of the pie chart of people killed by bears.Granolas and "bear experts" get killed much more often.

Last edited:
It is just one of those things 7thgen. The more I get out fishing and hiking the more I seem to come to comfort. It is no different than when someone from the north goes to Florida and worries about gators and poisonous snakes and spiders. Humans naturally do not like the unknown when that unknown presents danger. Here I worry about grizz, yet back home my whitetail spots were loaded with adult black bears I would see one almost weekly while hunting. Yet, it didn't bother me because I had experience with those bears and the scenarios were no longer unknown. I'm sure I as others will develop the same cautious comfort with grizz territory here over time as well.

Understood.Over time you will look forward to seeing them and by being aware and respecting them you wont have any issues.Just remember more people get killed by WT deer every year than all the predators combined.

I know the fear is irrational, haha, but hunters are not known to be the most rational beings during times of pursuit. ;)

how many wall tenters cook at their tent. We have hunted "Griz" country before but are moving to a wall tent this year. If we clean up after can we still cook our bacon n eggs and dinty moore at night?

If I'm in griz country where I've seen recent sign (fresh scat and tracks, torn up stumps, the actual bear) then I'll definitely not cook any closer than 30 yards from my sleeping tent. We have both black and brown bear (along with wolves and mountain lions) around my area but I'm really not too concerned, I just stay aware and try to avoid places where I wouldn't be able to see a bear very easily, like creeks that have lots of thick willows or places with lots of thick underbrush that grows higher than waist high.

Id add to the conversation that you need to keep your spray and gun acessible and know how to use them. Don't mess around with cooking around a sleeping area, keep the distance.

I like the danger it adds (while not being stupid) and that it will keep people away. There is plenty on MTFWP site and IGBA about being in bear country. Being out in it will be your best education.

Caribou Gear

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Infraredice
Back