Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Results 26 to 36 of 36

Thread: Bear Meat?

  1. #26

    Default

    All the bears I have killed have been outstanding table fair, make sure that you remove all the fat from the animal during butchering this is where the off tastes come from.

    Sous vide is by far the best way to cook bear steaks as you really only need to get bear meat to an internal temp of 137 degrees for a hour or so to be 100 safe. If you aren't set up for sous vide/ don't want to drop $100 on a machine then definitely bring out the slow cooker.

    Hank shaw has a great article on bear meat.

    https://honest-food.net/on-trichinosis-in-wild-game/

  2. #27

    Default

    i think there are certainly variables:

    central PA most people don't seem wild about bear meat, northern PA in the mountains they love the stuff. It may be due to the economy of the 2 locations? where one any protein is good, but I think it actually comes more back to what the bear was feeding on, I like my beef finished on grain but I think my dad's bear that I"m sure raided fields but had a lot of wild berries in her she's pretty darn good.

    marinated some of the meat and it was good flavor and tender but a lot of gristle: wrong cut or just bear meat texture? no clue as we cubed most everything

    throw the cubes in stew and it's good stuff, my wife had no clue it was wild game when we were eating it the first time

  3. Default

    What's with all the advice to remove and toss the fat?

    I suppose this comes those without experience of what bear fat really tastes like and what it is good for.
    Listening to not so old wive's tales.

    Until quite recently, bears were shot FOR THIER FAT!
    That was the prize, the "Trophy"....

    Bear fat is NOT at all like ungulate fat.
    The lower melting temperature makes it VERY palatable, will not harden and stick in your mouth.
    The flavour will be tell you what the meat will be like. Good eating bears will have fat that is more palatable than pork or beef fat.

    As with pork or beef, bear should be trimmed of fat so the ratio is palatable to your tastes.
    Trimmed fat should be saved for sausages, burgers or to be rendered into bear grease,
    which is to be used for baking and frying....

    Those who toss out bear fat are missing out on the real treat offered by these beasts.

  4. #29

    Default

    Bear is delicious!

    Buy a tag and don't look back.

  5. #30

    Default

    I have a bear tag and for the first time, plan on hunting bear. I'll be in northern New Mexico in middle of September for archery elk. I would expect the bears to be feeding on juniper,acorns,and piņon. New Mexico doesn't have any meat requirements. But I refuse to harvest an animal and not take meat back.

    After reading this and seeing all the opinions...I've got more questions than I started. In a perfect world, after the harvest how would you go about things? Get the hide off asap... then what? How much meat would you salvage? There's a butcher nearby, should I quarter it and let him deal with the rest? Or only keep good cuts

  6. #31
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Location
    South East Colorado
    Posts
    6,954

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by esracerx View Post
    I have a bear tag and for the first time, plan on hunting bear. I'll be in northern New Mexico in middle of September for archery elk. I would expect the bears to be feeding on juniper,acorns,and piņon. New Mexico doesn't have any meat requirements. But I refuse to harvest an animal and not take meat back.

    After reading this and seeing all the opinions...I've got more questions than I started. In a perfect world, after the harvest how would you go about things? Get the hide off asap... then what? How much meat would you salvage? There's a butcher nearby, should I quarter it and let him deal with the rest? Or only keep good cuts
    Get the hide off and quarter it, then drop it off at my house on your way home
    I'm an addict...archery, rifles, shotguns, handguns, muzzleloaders, hunting, fishing, fly fishing..and I don't want rehab

    CWEH...Colorado's Worst Elk Hunter 2007-2016 (but I'm still damned sexy)

  7. #32

    Default

    Bear fat tastes very good and is used for medical purposes when people have bad caugh or lungs problems.

  8. Default

    Quote Originally Posted by JohnCushman View Post
    Get the hide off and quarter it, then drop it off at my house on your way home
    HA! Ill focus on getting one first.

  9. Default

    We eat a ton of game meat at my house... We like it all... except bear. Bear meat is pretty much the worst thing I've ever eaten. Believe me I've tried to make it edible. I've only killed and tried eating early spring black bears, but they are all so terrible that the meat smells rancid immediately after the kill. It might have something to do with the diet, but you couldn't convince me to give it a try again regardless of the diet. Even dogs don't mess wit the raw bear meat in our camp... I cannot understand why someone would ever hunt bears for meat based on my experiences, but apparently I'm shooting the wrong bears based on this thread.

    Before everyone gets upset, bears are the ONLY animal I kill (besides fur-bearers) that isn't consumed by people entirely. The animal still gets used. I usually shoot one bear every spring and keep the fat for the ladies in the first nation's villages. They really love the fat and are immensely appreciative. They can't get enough of the fat, but won't take the meat. The guys at camp use the bear meat cooked in a big pot for feeding dogs.

  10. #35

    Default

    As mentioned above, sausage and other cured stuff are great, and they free up some my venison for other things. I've taken to bear hunting as a freezer filler for the last few years. Since Ontario killed the spring hunt 10 years ago, they have exploded in numbers and are a blast to hunt. Somebody gave me a 100lb sow last September that had been gorging herself on blueberries all summer. She was quite honesty the best game meat I've ever eaten, I bbq's the backstraps whole and they were phenomenal. Keep the fat for cooking if you get a good bear. Opinions vary on cook temp, I've read as low as 140 and as high as 180 to kill the trich, I aim for a solid medium and have never had an issue.
    "A people that values its privileges above its principles soon loses both." Dwight D. Eisenhower

  11. #36

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by KJH View Post
    We eat a ton of game meat at my house... We like it all... except bear. Bear meat is pretty much the worst thing I've ever eaten. Believe me I've tried to make it edible. I've only killed and tried eating early spring black bears, but they are all so terrible that the meat smells rancid immediately after the kill. It might have something to do with the diet, but you couldn't convince me to give it a try again regardless of the diet. Even dogs don't mess wit the raw bear meat in our camp... I cannot understand why someone would ever hunt bears for meat based on my experiences, but apparently I'm shooting the wrong bears based on this thread.

    Before everyone gets upset, bears are the ONLY animal I kill (besides fur-bearers) that isn't consumed by people entirely. The animal still gets used. I usually shoot one bear every spring and keep the fat for the ladies in the first nation's villages. They really love the fat and are immensely appreciative. They can't get enough of the fat, but won't take the meat. The guys at camp use the bear meat cooked in a big pot for feeding dogs.
    Might be a spring bear thing, I usually get them in the fall. They eat a ton of oats and blueberries here all summer. My experience has been quite different.
    "A people that values its privileges above its principles soon loses both." Dwight D. Eisenhower

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Tags for this Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •