Wish Me Luck

maxx

I am headed up to Dryden Ontario Sunday morning for my second bear hunt. I went 4 years ago and we fought hot hot weather the entire week. I never saw a bear but my dad killed a nice one.

We are going to a different outfitter this time. My 10 and 12 year old boys and my dad are coming. I am the only one hunting they are going to fish. I will have a boy with me each night switching between the two until I get one down.

The weather looks ok. It was sitting around mid to low 70 projections until today it bumped up to low 80's so I hope that doesn't hurt us to much. Hot but still cooler than last time I went. I don't have huge expectations on bear size. A nice boar over 200 would make me happy.

About half way done. We have seen bears all but one sit. I have been hunting mornings and nights because I only have 4 days total and they have been active in the morning.

First morning we saw a shooter bear at 80 yards. He was the first bear I have seen in the wild so I didn't really know he was that good. Also I am hunting with a bow so I wouldn't have been able to shoot him anyway.

That night we didn't see anything. It was pretty warm.

The next morning we had a young boar come in. Ate for about 20 minutes then left.

Last night we had good action for about the last hour and half. A small bear came in a little and ran off. He was pretty nervous. Then 5 minutes later another small one came in and proceeded to eat 5 gallons of popcorn.

This morning the same young boar came. We check the trail camera last night and a nice bear came in around 1:44 on Tuesday. The bait was gone yesterday between the morning sit and the night sit but the camera is crappy so it didn't take a picture for some reason.

We are going to head out here in a little bit. The good part is both my boys have seen bears up close in the wild. I have today and tomorrow to hunt yet. The little bear is going to look appealing tomorrow morning if he comes back in.

Good luck, hopefully the biting flies are not that bad and the boys end up with some great memories.

I am headed up to Dryden Ontario Sunday morning for my second bear hunt. I went 4 years ago and we fought hot hot weather the entire week. I never saw a bear but my dad killed a nice one.

We are going to a different outfitter this time. My 10 and 12 year old boys and my dad are coming. I am the only one hunting they are going to fish. I will have a boy with me each night switching between the two until I get one down.

The weather looks ok. It was sitting around mid to low 70 projections until today it bumped up to low 80's so I hope that doesn't hurt us to much. Hot but still cooler than last time I went. I don't have huge expectations on bear size. A nice boar over 200 would make me happy.

Good Luck! Should be a whole mess of bears in Dryden... Keep us posted!

I don't have a lot of good pictures downloaded yet.

I ended up shooting a smaller bear on Thursday afternoon. I hunted the morning with my younger boy and we had the same bear I ended up killing walk in. He ate and bolted off.

My older boy and I went back in around 12. A bear had been hitting the bait in between sits and I was thinking that it may be a bigger bear. We were right, the little bear came in around 1:40 and then got scared off by the bigger bear. The problem was he didn't come closer than 80 yards.

We gave him 2 hours to come in and he never did. I have a feeling he was a smart old bear that was coming in after we left. At 4:00 the smaller bear made his way back in. I had told myself I would shoot him Friday morning on the last day of the hunt. I ended up making a decision to shoot him that night. At that point we had 25 hours sitting in the same stand. I wanted to get some time fishing the last day.

Over all it was a great trip. The way the dates work we cut our selves short by only having 4 days to hunt. With only having 4 days we were hunting mornings and nights and putting a lot of time in the stand. I wish I would have had more time to hunt.

Well that's the game we play, you definitely put the time in. Sounds like a great trip nonetheless and congrats on the bear... How was the fishing? Bring back any 'eyes?

Well that's the game we play, you definitely put the time in. Sounds like a great trip nonetheless and congrats on the bear... How was the fishing? Bring back any 'eyes?

Fishing was pretty good. The first few days we found a spot that we could jig eyes and it was pretty consistent. They shut off the last few days but then we got into them trolling a little a long with pike.

We brought back our 4 each for my dad and I. Most of the ones we caught were 14-16" fish nothing huge.

PEAX Trekking Poles

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Hammerg
Back