Year-old Sharptail Grouse

jtm307

Last upland season, I harvested a single sharp-tailed grouse, my first sharpie. It is still in my freezer. I kept the breasts and legs submerged in saltwater in a ziplock bag. In preparation for upland season, I'm clearing out my freezer of all poultry. Any one have any suggestions on how to cook it. My current plan is to brine it for a day or two then smoke it.

You should have shot a Hungarian partridge instead much better eating lol. I find sharpies strong like ducks. I'm not a duck fan unless it's jerky so that's what I do with mine

They have a pretty strong flavor. Needs an equally strong recipe, IMO.

I like curry or bulgogi

I love those guys! Brining and smoking sounds awesome! check out Hank Shaw's website Hunter Angler Gardener Cook if you're not yet familiar with it.

After procrastinating for too long, I decided, to heck with it, I'll just thaw it, pan fry it [medium rare w/ Weber's garlic jalapeno seasoning], and hope for the best. It was AMAZING! I now think of sharpies as flying antelope tenderloins.

Last edited:
Good job! When I lived in North Dakota I harvested a healthy share of sharpies and never found them to be poor table fare like many indicated. I have a few Kansas prairie chickens in the freezer from last week I need to cook up.

I've never shot a sharpie but have eaten them a few times and have always found them very tasty. I've also shot spruce grouse in Canada and was told, at the time, that they were basically inedible. My roommate and I fried them up with some ruffies and they were every bit as good.

My least favorite game birds I've eaten were prairie chickens from Minnesota. Those were strong tasting, but I still enjoyed the meal and would eat them again.

Yeti GOBOX Collection

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mfrosty6
Back