Coyotes....

Digital10

I was counting fawns on my ranch the past few weeks and there are an ton of deer and pronghorn fawns running around. I'm looking for an excuse to pop some 'yotes, but it looks like they're leaving everything alone. I hear and see them all the time and I usually find a few fawn kills, but none this year. It looks like I will wait until fall for their coats to come in before I go after them...it is kind of weird.
Any ideas as to why?

Some rodent populations fluctuate on a ten year basis or so. Could be an up year for easy prey.

Some rodent populations fluctuate on a ten year basis or so. Could be an up year for easy prey.

We have more yellow-bellied marmots and WY ground squirrels at our place than we have ever seen. More elk calves and mule deer fawns than I remember seeing too. We are also seeing and hearing a lot of coyotes. Only found one elk calf kill about 1 month ago.

Rabbits, and lots of em around here. My cat can't keep the population in check this year.

I was counting fawns on my ranch the past few weeks and there are an ton of deer and pronghorn fawns running around. I'm looking for an excuse to pop some 'yotes, but it looks like they're leaving everything alone. I hear and see them all the time and I usually find a few fawn kills, but none this year. It looks like I will wait until fall for their coats to come in before I go after them...it is kind of weird.
Any ideas as to why?

I don't know where you are on the plains, but where I am the rabbit population is through the roof!

Coyotes will shift their feeding habits in the summer. It's not that they won't pick off a fawn or turkey if they can, it just isn't that important to them when there is so much other food available. Coyotes are every bit as omnivorous as a bear. During the summer they will rob crops and orchards for food along with garbage cans, I'm told that much of a pup's diet is made of insects.

GOHUNT Insider

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jack the bear
Back